main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your dream opening to Episode VIII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JabbatheHumanBeing, Jan 25, 2016.

1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Thanks!

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I noticed the other day how much the opening of TFA mirrors the opening of ROTS. In ROTS the star destroyer flies under camera moving across a large planet and the Jedi starfighters descend towards it. In TFA the star destroyer flies over camera moving across a moon and the troop transports descend away from it. I thought it was pretty interesting.

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    DARTH_BELO

Sorry I missed your post before mine, was that something you imagined or have you like me heard something? I must admit I believe I only heard it because it was scrapped in the rewrite and now Chewbacca doesn't leave Ahch-To before Kylo arrives.

I think it was purposely done that way so when MVS speaks the line "This will begin to make things right" there is a subliminal message.

5. burg2774

burg2774 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    I like it. It would also fit with the "different" way that RJ is supposedly handling Ep. 8.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  6. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    Leia wakes up in her bed confused as she hears a noise from the other room. She gets up to investigate to sound to find none other than Han Solo himself standing in the shower who responds with a glib, "Good morning"!

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Django Fett,

No I didn't hear it-I basically was just trying to think of a way to make the idea of starting in space connect to Rey and Luke's meeting still being the opening scene-and that's what I came up with.

That said, I would actually prefer to see VIII start with the First Order, or Kylo Ren/Snoke or something.

Django Fett likes this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I think the odds are high that Kylo and his Knights arrive right after Rey. The movie starts off immediately at the end of TFA, with batwinged shuttles floating down from space, perhaps with one being crashed into the ground by a Luke Force Push.

Luke and Rey don't talk until they are on the Falcon escaping.

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I forgot about this thread! Thanks for the bump.

Still wedded to my dream opening, unfortunately...Never a good thing. But Rian's a great filmmaker, and I expect him to produce a great script.

Immortiss likes this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Well that's going to be an interesting training scene if neither speaks...[face_laugh]

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I guess that could be entertaining, but I don't imagine they'd show Luke using his force powers onscreen (for the first time since ROTJ) right in the very first scene of the film. I'd imagine they'd save his force usage for some big moment or scene later on, keeping us excited for it-rather than blow it all out within the first few seconds...

12. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    My dream opening:

I think the best way the movie could open would be with the Lucasfilm logo and then the words "A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." Followed by blaring thematic music and the Star Wars Logo pushing back followed by Episode VIII and the title of the film. Three or so paragraphs of text giving some set up to the movie follow by panning down to a scene in space that gets the movie going.

burg2774, Fin McCool and Wildcatbarry like this.
  13. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    ^^^^^ Preach! ^^^^^^^^^

14. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    Hmm, I don't know. That's pretty specific. I wouldn't get my hopes up. [face_cowboy]

Was going to throw mine in here, but someone played the Kylo Being Taken to Moriband card and I have to fold. The reverse take of the Falcon's landing from Luke's perspective is also a prime contender, so I'll just put mine after those.

I see Leia's into in Ep. 8 being her ship landing on Coruscant where Lando is president to ask him for support against the FO. Because Lando needs to be president of an entire planet!!!!

(And Luke needs to hide his ship underwater. The genius who came up with that needs an extra present on their birthday.)

burg2774 likes this.
  15. WookieeRage

WookieeRage Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2016
    What kind of ship? X-wing? something else?

16. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    The camera pans down and we see the Falcon racing toward Ach-To and landing, Rey climbing the steps, some different angles, Rey reaching out to Luke to give him his lightsaber. Luke says to her, "We must go inside...quickly."

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    we already saw that.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought about this today and thought I'd share:

The film begins with Luke and a young Rey studying the map we see in TFA trying to figure out the location of the First Jedi Temple. They are interrupted by the Knights of Ren who attack Luke. He fights them off but in the battle Rey is separated from her father and abducted. We then see the scene from TFA where she's abandoned on Jakku and as she's led away by Unkar the map falls out of her hand and into the sand. An alien scavenger (Naka perhaps) picks it up and we then see him sell it to Lor San Tekka who then gives it to Poe which obviously starts TFA. It then flashes forward to Luke on Ahch-To as the Falcon arrives and Rey comes to meet him.

So we find out that Luke not only went to Ahch-To to discover ancient Jedi lore but also because he honestly hoped his daughter would somehow find him there. I also think it'd be a great explanation for how the map ended up on Jakku.

Wildcatbarry and nightangel like this.
  19. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    It was explained in Lego TFA where LST found the map. The crawl starts at 1:42 in this video:

The extra stories in the game are considered canon (not the "lego humor", obviously- Luke wearing silly nose glasses?).

It'd be cool if Luke has already encountered the KoR, though.

20. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    We likely won't see an opening with Luke and Rey on Ach-To. It will happen, but it is too subdued for an opening. Perhaps some attack in space on a Resistance ship or even a F.O. attack on a major city. Maybe even a massive event and Rey jumps up from the nightmare.

21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Some fun concepts here, love the Del Toro idea JabbatheHumanBeing (and laughed at the inclusion of a Hutt, of course you would.) Ambiguous targets sound better. If I might add my 2 credits worth: I think it would be interesting if he was the former leader of the Knights of Ren whose position was usurped by Kylo. That could add a bit of good tension between them.

I have a strange feeling the film might open with all those aliens and night clubbers and such.

I am pretty pleased that Del Toro's role is still secret and hope he gets a really juicy part.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  22. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Kylo Ren has been training with Snoke. Snoke tells him that he is ready to hunt down Rey and Luke Skywalker. Meanwhile, Luke and Rey are training at Luke's hidden location when they are ambushed and have to flee on the Millenium Falcon

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. I think making the targets ambiguous would play better. I also lean towards having him be either a Knight of Ren, or a former one, as you suggest. Great ideas.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    According to RJ, there won't be much of anything that happened...the movie will start right where we left off. No Rey training for months. Kylo Ren and Finn will be still recuperating from their injuries. And the Resistance will probably be still hanging around the ililium system. Unless there's a time jump, there won't be much progression as far as the characters go.

25. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I know but that would be my ideal opening. I'm not predicting

Iron_lord likes this.