main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct Future SW Films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Cuaron would get a similar reaction to Gareth.
    He'd produce something that looks stunning and "realistic" and be rather more confronting that a Regular SW movie.

And Nightangel would be sad that everyone dies again.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd like to see what Ava DuVernay could do with the series. Other than simply being an extremely talented director (her Selma was nominated for Best Picture a few years back), she's currently filming A Wrinkle in Time for Disney, and she helped Abrams reedit a sequence for The Force Awakens so she has some creative involvement with the series already.

Ryan Coogler is also on my list. Creed (which was robbed of a Best Picture nom) was not just a fantastic installment in a franchise roughly as old as Star Wars, but a terrific and exciting and well made film in its own right. I mean, I literally felt movie-high from the way certain scenes in that film were shot. He's also currently directing Black Panther for Marvel Studios, so there's another in-house Disney connection, which additionally gives him experience directing a big budget, effects heavy film, as well as working within a larger franchise with an overarching continuity.

After Whiplash (robbed of a Best Picture win) and La La Land (current Best Picture nominee and probable winner), I'd love to see what Damien Chazelle could do, simply out of base curiosity for what kind of movie he'd make. However, I don't know if this is the kind of thing that would interest him. The same goes for Barry Jenkins, who apart from directing Moonlight (another current Best Picture nominee), I'm biased towards because he's an FSU alumni.

If you'd gotten Neill Blomkamp to direct, I don't know, a Boba Fett movie a few years back when he was coming right off of District 9 I would have done cartwheels. Post-Chappie I'd be a bit more cautious, but cautiously optimistic nonetheless.

The only older, big name A-list director I'd genuinely want to see touch a Star Wars film is George Miller, simply because Mad Max: Fury Road had the craftsmanship of a veteran filmmaker's movie with all the raw energy of a much younger director's film. But others, such as Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, etc., I'd rather let do their own things.

3. Rylo_Ken

Rylo_Ken Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    Mentioned this in the Fett thread but Gareth Evans (The Raid, Raid 2) would be awesome if they wanted to make a fast paced action film.

4. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016

To my knowledge, though I don't have the link here, Cuaron met with LF for either TLJ or TFA, can't remember which. Fincher and Affleck definitely met with LF for TFA. Brad Bird met with them for either TFA or TLJ. I remember that Francis Lawrence also met with them for something, TLJ or a spin-off, it was never specified but it wasn't for TFA. Joss Whedon is offering himself and his right hand as you know already. he haven't met with LF but I guess it's inevitable down the line. As already noted, sooner or later, they'll have to use MCU directors.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I hope Whedon never gets a swing at Star Wars. He should've stuck to TV. There's absolutely nothing visually interesting about what he does, and Star Wars requires that.

Good to hear that Cuaron was approached, though. Fingers crossed that he at least directs an anthology.

6. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Very true about Whedon. Also, he doesn't really work without pop culture references and that doesn't fly in SW. His whole clever-ness is in referential one-liners. He also didn't have guts to take even a part of the blame for AoU but pinned it all on Feige, who didn't write the zucchini line and other less-than-stellar stuff last time I checked.

Cuaron making an Anthology would be awesome.

I'm worried about Trevorrow only in that I don't find him visually interesting. Jurassic World looked way better than anything Whedon did with The Avengers/AoU, but I still wouldn't call it a visually interesting movie. Nothing looked bad but nothing stood out either, especially compared to iconic shots from Jurassic Park.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I have the exact same concerns about Trevorrow, and was disappointed to learn that he's using the same DP as he did on JW.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Duncan Jones for the Obi-Wan Kenobi film. Alex Garland for Boba Fett. And me for any damn movie I want to make. ;)

9. hana_solo

Feb 4, 2016
    Definitely better than Whedon! Good choices of the other directors too.

Gigoran Monk If I could swap Trevorrow for Verbinki I would. Verbinski may be facing tough times at the boxoffice, but he would make Episode IX memorably gorgeous and if he brought the stunt choreographers from POTC, the movie would be so much fun. I'm happy that Rian picked the DP that worked on POTC: DMC and AWE. Stunningly looking movies.
    if LF isn't interested in hiring hungry new talent (which I would prefer).

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes, Alex Garland has proven that he's a very good director.

11. aistarwars

aistarwars Jedi Youngling

Feb 5, 2017
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Perfect. :)

PymParticles likes this.
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    You know who I'd love? Daniels. If they let James Gunn do two Guardians of the Galaxy movies and gave Taika Waititi Thor: Ragnarok, why not lets Daniels make the freaking weirdest Star Wars film imaginable?

nightangel Shots are being fired. Come defend your honor, I'm bored.

nightangel and Gigoran Monk like this.
  14. paddy wan kenobi

paddy wan kenobi Jedi Padawan

Nov 26, 2015
    I'd love to see James Mangold get a Star Wars film, he's a director I've always enjoyed and hopefully now with Logan he'll get the recognition he deserves.

PymParticles likes this.
  15. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I will ban you.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Gigoran Monk and I thought you are a friend. :rolleyes:

But regarding Cuaron, not everyone in his movies dies, Sandra Bullock survived in Gravity and all heroes survived in his Harry Potter movie. Only Gareth is such a sad director who let everyone die. [face_sigh]

GregMcP likes this.
  18. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Uwe Boll. He could make a Battlefront movie, among others.

Jokes aside, contrary to others I'm definitely not leaning against letting Cuarón do a SW film. Cuarón has a certain way of changing the fundamental design and atmosphere of everything he touches. It's his style, and it's what he enjoys doing. Just look at what he did with Hogwarts in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. While that worked out very well, you've got to remember that every HP film after that has used his design for Hogwarts and Hogsmeade simply because it was so awesome. In the Harry Potter series it worked because we see that world through the eyes of Harry, and he grows older it's justifiable that his "general idea" of how the world looks like changes.

But could you imagine Cuarón making a SW film and fundamentally changing the design and atmosphere of, let's say, Tatooine?

He is a filmmaker with a certain vision of his own. If he is not given the freedom he wants, he won't do it. That's probably the reason why he's been approached by Lucasfilm before and then neglected.

19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    A joke. :)

nightangel and PymParticles like this.
  20. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    What, you don't like Terminator Salvation? Personally, I thought it was the best in the series when it came out. Way better than the garbage first two movies (lmao can anyone say "old" lmao) and even better than the fantastic third film. Of course, then Terminator Genesesessesy came out and blew them all out of the water, making a strong case for a new Terminator film being released every year.. All I can say is, Michael Bay has some serious robot action to live up to in Transformers: The Last Knight, but I'm sure he's up to it. After all, he's probably the most visionary director of the century.

Maybe he'd be interested in one of these Stellar Confrontations movies? Although it might be a bit beneath him.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Uwe Boll out of retirement.:D:p

nightangel likes this.
  22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes please =D=

starocean90 likes this.
  23. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm amazed they've never hired Joe Johnston to direct one , I mean he's one of the key people responsible for SW .

24. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
  25. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    Neill Blomkamp would be awesome! He directs the coolest movies...

MrMojoRisin

He would have a cool take on Star Wars...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.