main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your essential five spin-offs....

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Dartht Punk, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
    Which are your favourite or most essential spin offs to the film saga, and why?

These can be books, comics, video games, anything.

Here are mine:

1. Dark Empire - it's the only spin off I've ever come across that genuinely feels like a logical continuation of the Star Wars story. It builds on plot lines from the previous movies, rather than just starts another adventure. The Force Awakens will need to be extremely good to dethrone this as 'Episode VII' for me.

2. The Clone Wars - once you get tuned in to it's style of storytelling, it's addictive. Introduced some of my now favourite characters including Ashoka, Cad Bane and Savage. Bringing back Maul was a mistake, and they misunderstood the gentlemanly menace of Count Dooku and made him more straight forwardly evil. But still, a wonderfully entertaining show that went a long way to make up for the prequels.

3. Original Marvel comics - these are a joy to read. Unlike the Dark Horse comics which often feel like very restrained attempts to replicate the look of the movies, the Marvel comics went with the spirit of classic space opera adventure. Sometimes Luke had a red lightsaber, sometimes characters were weirdly drawn - the inaccuracy was part of the charm. The details weren't always correct, but the spirit of Star Wars, especially the first movie, is perfectly captured.

4. Quinlan Vos comics - a better saga of Jedi struggling with the Dark Side than the prequels, in stories that have all the relentless 'one thing after another' action of the movies. Vos is a compelling character, and let's face it, is one of the coolest Jedi ever. So cool in fact, he got mentioned in Revenge of the Sith.

5. Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - another great hero, Kyle Katarn, and a hugely entertaining and immersive game which really feels like you are wandering around the Star Wars universe.

2. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    1. The Thrawn Trilogy
    2. Dark Empire
    3. The Jedi Academy Trilogy
    4. Tales of the Jedi
    5. Republic

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    1. Darth Plaguies
    2. Kenobi
    3. Republic comics
    4. Labyrinth of Evil
    5. Bounty Hunter (game).

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Darth Plagueis, for its machievellian plotting

TCW, for its incredible breadth and depth.

The Force Unleashed, for its satisfying gameplay, and interesting characters.

Battlefront II, for it's thrilling space battles, and new perspective on the troopers.

The TOR trailers, for how epic they all are, and for telling a cohesive story in a very short time period.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    In no particular order...

1. Young Jedi Knights
    2. Thrawn trilogy.
    3. X-wing novels.
    4. Han Solo trilogy-both of them.
    5. Star Wars: Rebels.

Sinrebirth and CrazyOldHermit like this.
  6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    One thing I do want to note is that this list will likely change as I haven't read a lot of the Bantam era stuff (heck I'm actaully getting interested in the post-ROTJ stuff of all things) or played most of the older star wars computer games.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  7. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    1. Darth Plagueis
    2. TCW
    3. Legacy Comcis
    4. LOTF
    5. Thrawn Trilogy

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    1. X-wing novels(Including I,jedi)
    2.tales of the jedi comics
    3.all thrawn novels(the triliogy, specter and vision,outbound flight,suriviors quest)
    4. Althoughmost hate it I like the fate of the jedi apocalypse.
    5.labrynth of evil

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    In the Legends-verse:
    -Tales of the Jedi
    -Dark Empire
    -Clone Wars (2003)
    -Republic (primarily pre-Clone Wars stuff and then Vos-centric arcs)
    -Shadows of the Empire (novel and comic; haven't played the game)

The new Star Wars and Darth Vader series from Marvel have also completely won me over, as has Rebels and Servants of the Empire. Here's to hoping they finish strongly.

10. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    - Dark Times Comic series
    - Shatterpoint - Matthew Stover book
    - Republic Comics (especially the Quinlan Vos Stories)
    - The Path of Destruction - Drew Karpyshyn book
    - KOTOR game story

Me too - I am really enjoying these.

The 'Darth Vader' one is my favourite, but 'Star Wars' and 'Kanan - the last Padawan' are fab too. The only one I didn't really like was the Princess Leia one - I didn't like the visual style, dialogue or story. It felt like it was designed for typical 10 year old girls. (In fact I kept having this awful feeling that Barbie and 'My Little Pony' were about to appear.) While I am female I always was a tomboy and I'm a long way from 10 now! I also finally read 'Lando' #1 a few days ago and was surprised by how much I liked it. I had been avoiding it because the art was all 'edgy' and 'cool' with kind of scratchy lines which I just don't like but Lando is such a good character I had to have a look. It really surprised me because I liked it. I enjoyed the way the colours are used to set moods for scenes - it reminded me of the Dune TV Mini Series by the SciFi Channel - they used a similar effect and it worked well.

spicer likes this.
  11. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    In no order:

Jedi Apprentice series: seeing young Obi-Wan and watching him grow with Siri, Qui-Gon, and Xanatos really gave a lot of background as to why he is so cautious as a young adult.

Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover: Getting into Mace Windu's mind was spectacular

X-Wing series: This series made me realize how rich the 'verse is and that space battles really can be "my thing."

Han Solo Trilogy - the one by A.C. Crispin: Learning so much about Han's past, and realizing he wasn't the womanizer many make him out to be, is wonderful. It gives so much to his character

Death Star: So, I've only read this once, but it's on my "to reread" list. I remember there being a lot of math and measurements and more about the people and less about the "Evil Empire." I'm a math person, making me love it even more.

12. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    1. Crimson Empire
    2. Republic
    3. Knights of the Old Republic comics
    4. X-Wing Series
    5. Tales of the Jedi

There are still more I'd like to see than those listed.

Amon_Amarth and spicer like this.
  13. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    1. TCW

2. Force FX Sabers

3. Battlefront (classic)

4. Battlefront 2

5. Black Series figures.

14. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    1. Lost Tribe of the Sith - I really like the idea of that tribe developing on its own away from Bane and then taking the galaxy by storm.

2. Rebels - It's good to see some of the background before ANH.

3. Bloodlines - Very, very well written new Canon novel!

4. Yuuzhan Vong series - Wait... the Jedi are powerless over them? Now what are we supposed to do??

5. Dark Horse Comics, especially the one with this Skippy the Jedi Droid:
    [​IMG]

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  15. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Skippy needs to be melted down like so many junked cars!

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Dark Times

Dark Times

Dark Times

KOTOR comics

Republic

Knight Errant

Crimson Empire

KOTOR I and II

17. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    1. Young Jedi Knights

2. New Jedi Order

3. Thrawn Trilogy

4. Outbound Flight

5. Darth Plagueis

xezene likes this.
  18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    By spin offs, do you mean something strongly tied to the events in the 6 films? Cause I'd go for Zahn's TTT which essentially spinned off a wonderful expanded universe, even though TTT doens't essentially tie in to the Saga (which was a wholesome finished monomyth by ROTJ imo).

1. The Thrawn Trilogy
    2. Labyrinth of Evil
    3. X-Wing novels, expanding on Rogues
    4. Republic and later on Clone Wars comics + Tartakovsky's Clone Wars microseries, expanding on PT Jedi
    5. Kenobi

spicer and DarthIshyZ like this.
  19. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    If Skippy hadn't had the presence of mind to blow his motivator, he'd probably give you a lesson in civility, sir.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  20. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Any droid named after PB needs to go!

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Skippy is the one true hero of the Star Wars saga!

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  22. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    1. The New Jedi Order
    2. Thrawn (trilogy, duology, Survivor's Quest, Outbound Flight)
    3. The Bantam era of SW novels -- I felt like the tone was usually a good extension of the movies, even if the details were a little nuts
    4. Clone Wars miniseries (2003-2005)
    5. Star Wars Battlefront I and II (2004, 2005)

23. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Star Wars was "A long time ago...", so, I'd wager that the PB was named after the droid!

Darth Basin and Amon_Amarth like this.
  24. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

The funniest thing about Skippy is that he essentially reveals how many people need to learn what was canon and what wasn't. Seriously, the amount of people I have seen who didn't know that was an Infinities story is unbelievable.

Amon_Amarth and DarthIshyZ like this.
  25. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Talos156, I agree, but nothing to get too worked up about. Just start getting into some genre of any superhero and you'll run into "I thought ____ was supposed to do _____." "Oh, no, that was the _____ universe."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.