main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore -- Dark Luke, Mara -- sequel teaser up 5/23

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Aragorn, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Title: Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore
    Author: Knight_Aragorn
    Category: Dark AU, angst, romance
    Genre: Short-ish? story
    Disclaimer: Star Wars isn't mine, and I make no profit, etc.
    Summary: What does love become?

A/N: This is kind of very loosely inspired by Mara's nightmare in Union and a curiosity about whether a full-blown Sith could love, and what the effect might be.

PLEASE NOTE: This story will be *dark*. Lots of Sithly-ness and angst, possibly even character deaths -- all the really fun stuff. ;) If you don't like that, it's not for you. Otherwise, enjoy!

[b]YOUR EYES AREN'T BLUE ANYMORE[/b]

Cover art by [b]academygrad88[/b] is [link=http://img241.echo.cx/img241/1387/youreyesarentblueanymore2fe.jpg]here[/link].

[b]PART I[/b]

By Knight_Aragorn

=======

Luke Skywalker stared through the darkened window. Reflected in the glass was the opulence of his spacious bedchamber, rich colours shadowed and distorted in reflection. Winds churned darkly outside.

?Your eyes aren?t blue anymore.? The words came from behind, spoken with typical flatness ? incongruous from such soft lips.

He turned, and was momentarily diverted. Reclined in the centre of the wide bed, she was tousled and magnificent. Fire-shaded hair tumbled wildly over her shoulders, down the back of her trailing robe; ruby-red silk sheets tangled in disarray around her pale legs.

He frowned faintly, eyes returning to her face. ?What??

She lifted her chin, her gaze hooded and cold. ?Your eyes,? she repeated distinctly, each word coated with affluence under her rich Court accent, ?aren?t blue anymore.?

He turned back to the darkened window. ?I have no idea what you?re talking about.? She said nothing. After a moment, he flicked a glance back at her. Wordlessly, she rose, the silken tails of the robe slipping down around her legs as she crossed to the wide dresser. She selected something from the gleaming objects strewn across its polished surface and walked back to him.

Her eyes were on his all the way. She had never been shy about holding his gaze; sometimes, in certain circumstances, she insisted on it. Tonight, for instance, earlier ? her fingers had twisted painfully in his hair, forcing his head down until his eyes met her blazing stare. Her lips had curled into a snarl ? demanding, resisting, revelling ? until he met them with his own and made softness from fury.

The stares were a challenge, he recognised. And he relished in it. The blatant confrontation in her emerald gaze had been one of the first things about her to entice him.

Those eyes were very faintly sardonic now, as she held out the object from the dresser.
    He narrowed his own eyes and took the object from her hand with more force than was necessary. She tilted her chin, eyebrows raised, and crossed her arms over the loosely-bound silk of her robe.

He looked down. It was a small hand-mirror ? a delicate, gaudy thing, seeming ungainly in his hand. He flicked a glance at her, and she said, ?Look.?

He lifted the mirror. The man that looked back at him was in his twenties, with light-brown hair and pale skin, of fair-to-middling looks. The long white scar marking his left cheek ? faded, but still noticeable ? may have added or detracted from that appeal, depending on the preferences of whoever was looking. The reflection?s eyebrows drew together, lips twisting.

?The eyes.? She spoke softly, her honey-toned voice neutral.

Obediently, his gaze flicked to the eyes in the mirror. Yes, blue. Blue like the sky he barely remembered, gleaming over sparkling sands.

?Look closer,? she said, her voice even lower now.

He flicked a glance at her carefully flat eyes; then, his brow furrowed in confusion and irritation, he returned his gaze to the blank blue ones in the mirror. After a moment, his frown deepened. He brought the mirror closer, stared for a moment, blinked, and glanced at her again, surprised and discomforted.

?Like his,? she said. She met hi

2. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    *low awe-filled whistle*

I really like it. I don't think I've read anything quite like this before, and it's very good, very interesting. Dark!Luke...

Yes, I like it, a lot. :D

3. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Great job so far.

I love the way you showed Luke's descent into the dark through his eyes. It was rather creepy to visualize the mixture of amber and blue, but quite telling as well. He was obviously teetering on the brink.

At least he recognizes on some level that he can be saved. It's good to hear that he is redeemable, even if Dark Luke can be rather fun to read.

Look forward to more. There is more, right? [face_worried]

4. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    :eek:

Okay, I'll try to be coherent. ;) That image, of Luke's eyes no longer being blue ... whoa. Powerful. I hadn't considered that would eventually happen to a dark Luke, that his eyes would yellow as Palpatine's did. And then Mara leaving him, and his continuing obsession with her - I suppose it looks like he's obsessed with things he can't have as a Sith, in the dark side. Interesting, that. Kind of indicating that maybe he isn't entirely lost ... just mostly. :p :p Of course, even if that is the case, that doesn't mean he'll ever turn back to the light.

Fantastic, Knight_Aragorn. :D I hope you know that whenever I see you've posted something new, I hop to it immediately! :D ;)

5. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    Ooh, darkness. Pretty. :D

Splendid piece, Knight_Aragorn. @};- Like oba, I'd never considered his eyes changing. [face_thinking]

[face_love]Two things I liked a lot:
    1. that he never found her (or at least, thus far)
    2. the total flatness to Mara--it really interested me

:eek:Two things I did not expect:
    1. She left him the next day.
    2. he begged on his knees for her to stay...?Save me,? he begged. ?Mara, I need you. I need you to save me from this. You can?t leave me here alone.?

Very different. =D= I much appreciate that. ;)

6. Jedi_Scooch

Jedi_Scooch Jedi Master star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    Wow, that was amazing! Spurred a longtime lurker to post. I agree with oba - the image of Luke's yellow eyes is quite powerful. I love seeing Dark Luke. Normally, he is too often portrayed as such naive sweetness and light, that I find such stark differences so intriguing.

Might there still be some good in him?? He asks Mara to save him, but does he really want to be saved. I see some parallels with Anakin. I am interested to see where you go with this.

Keep up the good work!

7. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Maybe I should mention that there will be more - I don't know if that was very clear in the post. It was originally going to be a viggie but kind of... grew... ;)

djcati: Thank you! Yep, very dark Luke. I thought I should warn people because it's going to get pretty grim. I like my dark!Lukes dark. I'm hoping that there are other people who share my twisty evil!Luke tendencies... :p

Jedi_BMK: Thanks! But note that it wasn't Luke that saw the amber in the blue but Mara? And that he flatly refused to acknowledge it? If he had reacted differently, maybe she would have as well...

Yep, there's more. :D

obaona: Coherent is good. ;) The yellow eyes being a Sith characteristic wasn't something that I'd considered either until recently... *looks around for anti-spoiler patrols* Won't say more than that. :p And yes, Luke's obsession with Mara is interesting. ;) It's great to hear you enjoy my fics. Thank you! [:D]

Leia: Ooh, darkness. Pretty.

Gotta love that angst. :p

Interesting that Mara's flatness struck you. She and Luke and very much a product of their circumstances, here. Not as you might expect them to be...

Very different.

*sighs* It gets weirder. This one kind of spun out of control... so much for my one-shot dark!Luke vignette. :p Thank you!

Edit: Jedi_Scooch: Thank you for posting! :D I like dark Luke too. ;) I think that there's more potential for darkness in him than what's usually portrayed. And as for him begging Mara to save him -- well, you'll see. [face_mischief] But it's not what it seems.

He is similar to Anakin in a number of ways, but also very different. Hopefully that'll come out as well. Good to have you reading! :D

8. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Oh wow. Just...wow.

That's all I can think right now is: WOW!

I can't wait for more. :)

9. Ackyuna

Ackyuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    Nice.... need...more! It's so... good!

10. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Ahhh...the one that got away...

Haunting and lovely! I love that you didn't let him find her and left us wondering what happened to her in the end.

Great viggie! :)

11. Jaina_Solo_15

Jaina_Solo_15 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 5, 2002
    Oooh, me likes! Dark and angsty and rich and wondeful. :D I can't wait to read more of this. It looks like a very interesting and wonderful story. :D

12. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It's up! :eek: *tackle hugs K_A* [:D] :D [face_dancing] Ah, Dark!Luke. *is contented* :D

Magnificent. :cool: As always, your writing paints a wonderfully descriptive mental picture, and the characterization of both Luke and Mara is awesome. :D

?Your eyes aren?t blue anymore.?

Kind of interesting that Mara bothers to point this out to him. It requires a response of some sort, and Mara's attitude, muted though it was, seemed to indicate that she wanted to spur a change from him. How emotionally attached to him is she, then? Or was it nothing more than an attempt to escape the trap in which she found herself? [face_thinking] Rhetorical questions both, since I'm sure that's something I'll find out in the course of the story. :p

She lifted her chin, her gaze hooded and cold. ?Your eyes,? she repeated distinctly, each word coated with affluence under her rich Court accent, ?aren?t blue anymore.?

Excellent description of Mara's aloofness, and I love the added detail of the Court accent she'd have to have. [face_love] It's so very Mara to not give in when Luke brushes her off, too, and it seems even more in character that she'd do so as simply, silently, and effectively as she does. :D

The stares were a challenge, he recognised. And he relished in it. The blatant confrontation in her emerald gaze had been one of the first things about her to entice him.

This strikes me as very accurate. I can definitely see Luke thinking of Mara's silent challenges as enticing, especially a dark Luke. [face_devil]

He turned his gaze back to the mirror, staring into the blue orbs reflected there. The blue orbs, and the thin ribbons of yellow that spiked outwards from the dark centre, sickly-yellow fingers splayed through pale blue.

Ewwww! [face_sick] What a fantastic development, though. :D

She left him the next day.

:eek: That was unexpected. :eek:

Terrified by the prospect of being without her, he begged on his knees for her to stay. Pleaded with her, apologised, touched her, whispered. Clung to her like she was life support, and he was drowning. ?Save me,? he begged. ?Mara, I need you. I need you to save me from this. You can?t leave me here alone.?

That even more so! :eek: And interesting that Mara is made so angry by the sight of him begging. Another indication that she might care for him in some way? [face_thinking]

She turned back, bag in hand. Met his eyes calmly. Her green orbs were clear, clear and sparkling. Shimmering. Relentless. ?Yes,? she said softly, ?you will.?

Oooh, look at that girl go. :eek: Love how Mara's eyes remain untainted, in contrast to Luke's own. :D

Inevitability smothered him like turgid water, closing over his head, forever sealing him to the river and its cloying depths. Dooming him to die there, choking on heavy riverbed silt that filled his mouth with blackness as he sank further into the hungry mud.

Day by day, he succumbed to the river, and slowly, inexorably, he was consumed.

I just had to quote that, simply for its power. It's a truly fantastic description. :cool:

At night, he dreamt of her. She danced in his dreams, all twirling skirts and pale smooth skin, waves of wild flame-touched hair. Her green eyes blazed into his, down into his soul, eternally unafraid. Daring him near. But however far or fast he moved, she remained just beyond reach. Only the edge of her gauze skirts ever brushed his fingertips, and the wisping softness of that momentary contact tormented him endlessly.

This too! That's just beautiful. [face_love]

Wonderful start! [:D] I can't wait to see how this one goes. :D

Edit: Typo. [face_blush]

13. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Argh! Why didn't she save him!

*knocks Mara over the head*

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Very interesting. Quite the role-reversal.

15. Jedi-Tiger-Lilly

Jedi-Tiger-Lilly Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2005
    Wow! That was amazing. Dark Luke is quite fascinating, isn't he? Especially the way you've written him.

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    :eek: Whoa! That is the first thought that comes to mind. The second is wow! That was incredible! I can't wait to see what happens next, because if this is just the beginning I can't even imagine how amazing the next posts will be!

?My lord.? His voice was flat. It was easier that way, he?d found. Be still, be dead, don?t feel and it won?t hurt.

I ALMOST felt badly for him there. Almost.

More very soon? Please???

17. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Excellent story! Usually I don't feel sorry for Luke when Mara bashes him (think VotF) but your description of her leaving him made me feel so.

Good 'fic!

KT

18. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    This is beautiful. I must have more.

19. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Incredible. Simply incredible! I can't wait for more. Your Dark Luke was so well done! =D=

20. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Mirax-Jade: ?Wow? works... :p Thank you!

Ackyuna: Thanks. :)

LadyPadme: Err, it?s not a viggie, but thank you. ;) I can see why it might seem that way ? I probably should have put a ?to be continued? on the end. Thanks for reading anyway!

Jaina_Solo_15: ?Dark and angsty? about covers it. ;) Great to have you reading!

Gabri_Jade: *recovers from tackle hug* :p Interesting rhetorical questions you?ve got there. ;) Mara?s definitely a puzzle, on many levels. Perhaps that?s what fascinates Luke so... [face_thinking] [face_mischief] Thanks for reading! :D

RedGold Well, it?s not over yet... ;)

DarthIshtar: Quite the role-reversal.

Y?know, I never really looked at it that way. [face_thinking] It?s quite true though. Thanks for reading!

Jedi-Tiger-Lilly: I love Dark Luke. :p Thank you!

VaderLVR64: I can't wait to see what happens next, because if this is just the beginning I can't even imagine how amazing the next posts will be!

[face_worried] Now you?ve got me worried that the next post won?t live up! :p Luke?s not a real likable guy in this fic... *understatement of the year* ;) As for the next post... mm, not just yet. Patience, patience... [face_shame_on_you] :p

Killik_Twilight: Thanks! Luke does tend to deserve it a bit, doesn?t he? ;)

StarFighter5: Again, patience, patience... :p Thanks!

AnakinsHeir: *blushes* Thank you! :D

21. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Oops! :eek: :oops: My bad. I'm sorry! But the good thing about the mistake is now I have something cool to look forward to ;)

22. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Wow! This concept of Dark Luke is extremely well done. The idea of him searching for so long for Mara is very interesting. Stalker Luke, perhaps? Looking forward to more. =D=

23. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! Absolutely heartbreaking. I feel sorry for both Mara and Luke.

So, so sad.

Is there going to be more? I hope so.

AG88

24. MaraJade1225

MaraJade1225 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    Wow...this was an amazing fic..i really liked it. I could not imagine Luke without blue eyes!

25. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love Dark Luke!

He glanced down. The amber-tainted eyes stared back at him for a moment, then narrowed with disgust. His fingers curled tightly around the elegant gold handle of the mirror, as though it were a tender throat whose breath his hand could purloin. He lifted it high; brought it down on the window frame as hard as he could. The glass shattered, tinkling shards of inescapable truth raining down around his feet.

I adore the imagery created by this passage.

I also love the image of Luke begging Mara to stay -

His fists curled. He surged to his feet, blocking the doorway. His cloak spilled down behind him, pooling darkness at his feet. ?I won?t let you!? he snarled.

She turned back, bag in hand. Met his eyes calmly. Her green orbs were clear, clear and sparkling. Shimmering. Relentless. ?Yes,? she said softly, ?you will.?

Her eyes held him; her truth gutted him. He closed his eyes, slowly turning from that burning gaze.

He stepped aside.

It's interesting to think that even though he's a Dark Lord, she still has all the power over him. I wonder if this will change later on? Hmmm...

Also, the fact that Luke wants to be saved. Very intriguing.

Please continue! Your writing and contruction of mood is so beautifully perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.