main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore -- Dark Luke, Mara -- sequel teaser up 5/23

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Aragorn, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Gaaahhhh! That's where you ended the post??? :eek:

I'm so sorry I'd fallen behind on reading, although it was great fun to catch up. You have such an impressive and articulate command of language, and your descriptions are beautifully evocative of scenes and senses. I'm quite in awe of how well you manage to make me believe this dark being is Luke Skywalker, and make me sympathize with him in his pain and despair.

But what did Jade say to him??? And why does he want Leia to die so much???

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! :_|

;) Great job! ;)

2. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Yeah, just what did Jade say??

AND ONE MORE POST!!

can she save him with just one more post??

Or is this going to be one of those endings?

3. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow! What a chilling chapter, but there are so many questions left unanswered. What did Mara say to him? What exactly was Luke going to do to Leia if Mara didn't stop him (I shudder to think). HOW IS THIS STORY GOING TO END?!?!?

Don't keep me in suspense too long!

Great story!!

AG88

4. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Since we're all dying to know what Mara said and you won't tell I won't bother to ask. Meanie!:mad::p

And I do believe that the three days thing was just as much foreshadowing of the attack as it was for Leia's death.

5. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Great post!

6. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    cka3ka: three more days until Leia's dead huh? Is that a promise that we get a post within 3 days

LOL, nice try. ;) I can?t make any promises, but it will hopefully be fairly soon.

Mirax: There is a sequel! It?ll be Mara?s POV through the ?missing years?. It?d be great to have you reading it! :D Still have to finish this one though. :p Thanks for reading.

Jedi_BMK: I will do my best to wait patiently, but a post soon would be greatly appreciated nonetheless.

I?ll try. :) Glad you enjoyed the post!

Gabri_Jade: My cliffhanger armor has cracked, maybe permanently. I may not survive until the next post.

Sorry about that :p. I?ll look forward to that feedback. :D

DarthIshtar: Oh, wow, that had my gut twisting...

In a good way, I hope?. ;)

lurker: Thank you! :D I tend to follow the ?show, don?t tell? train of thought, as those types of stories are the ones I personally enjoy. So there tend to be a lot of things that I leave for people to figure out on their own. Hopefully it?s not too confusing?

I mean, at this point, I'm not really sure what Luke was doing in Leia's cell, if he knows she's his sister, and what exactly Mara managed to do.

I don?t think even Luke knew what he was doing in that cell. Obviously he is aware on some level that Leia is special, but he finds it very frustrating that he can?t understand why. Somehow it matters what she thinks of him, when it shouldn?t. He is perplexed and intimidated by that, hence his strange reaction to her.

And yes, there is a sequel! It?s good to know someone reads author replies. I wonder sometimes? ;)

I suppose that means that not everyone dies...

Or does it?.? :p

JadeLotus: I suppose that on some subconscious level - he knows about Leia?

She definitely means something to him, even if he can?t figure out why. [face_thinking]

Can't wait to see how this fic is going to end - but you are writing that companion fic from Mara's pov, right? Right?

Yes I am! :D It?d be great to have you reading that one. [:D]

Jedi-2B: To tell the truth, I didn?t really think all that much about what Mara said to Luke. I?m surprised people are so interested in it. [face_thinking] It wasn?t meant to be anything highly significant? Her presence, I think, had for more power than the actual words she said to him. And I?ve fixed that error now. [face_blush] It was a typo more than anything. Thanks for reading! :D

Stargazer-19: But I wanted to ask, what does Vespasian mean or symbolize...if it's painfully obvious forgive me, My head cold is making me more dense then usual.

I?m not entirely sure what you mean here? I figured Luke should really have a Sith/reign name, so I borrowed 'Vespasian' from one of the Roman emperors. Leia and the rest of the galaxy know him by that name, whereas Mara still thinks of him as ?Luke?. He himself seems to think of himself as Luke rather than as Vespasian, which is? interesting? [face_mischief]

RebelPrincess: Sorry to hear you're sick -- thanks for replying despite that. I hope you feel better soon. :)

Jedi_Anais: Yes, you can have a sequel. :D I?m working on it now.

No white picket fences? Does that mean there's going to be a reconciliation?

[face_thinking] You?ll see? :D Thanks for reading.

LadyPadme: Wow, thank you. [face_blush] Glad you?re still enjoying the story. Luke is normally a breeze for me to write for some reason, but I really had to struggle with him in this one because he?s so fundamentally conflicted. It?s good to know that he works as a character. :D

And why does he want Leia to die so much???

I don?t think even he could answer that one. :p Thanks for reading and for the feedback! :)

RedGold: Yeah, just wh

7. Stargazer-19

Stargazer-19 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2004
    I figured Luke should really have a Sith/reign name, so I borrowed 'Vespasian' from one of the Roman emperors.

I didn't know that Vespasian was an Roman emperor. Very cool. Of course, now that my curiosity is peaked I'm going to go look up this guy. :D

Thanks for clearing that up.

8. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm going to beg pathetically for you to post soon, and I'm not above using pity! I've had surgery! Have pity on me! Hurry up!!!!!! 8-}

Truly a wonderful story, KA. I can't really give it the feedback it deserves, but it's just lovely to read, so poetic and twisted. Great job. [:D]

9. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Stargazer-19: At least ancient history class is good for something -- it makes a handy source for authentic-sounding obscure names. :p

obaona: Aw, thank you! [:D] Hope you feel better soon. You'll be pleased to know that the last post will be up in a few minutes' time... :D

10. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    First of all, I want to say a huge thank you to everyone for reading (lurkers or otherwise) and especially to those who have responded along the way. I was pretty nervous about posting this rather dark little piece, but your feedback and encouragement has been fantastic right through. Thank you! [:D]

And I?ve mentioned it before, but for those who don?t know, there?s going to be a sequel to this story. It follows Mara?s journey over the period she and Luke were apart, and there?ll be a surprise or two in store? I?ll post the prologue here in a few days to give you an idea of what I?m talking about. :D

On to the conclusion....

=======
    =======

The Rebels attacked the day before the execution. They came in their mottled array of ships, appearing mid-afternoon in the sky high above the capital. He smiled, and sent against them the gleaming inhuman vastness of his naval fleet.

They fought well, driven by that blazing ardour he had never been able to understand. They fought a lost cause: why wouldn?t they admit it? Why sacrifice their lives for a dream beyond achieving? He asked them that, when he stood over their wretched forms in his bare cells. Why?

The answers, from those still whole enough for coherent speech, were invariably either nonsensical, filled with spitting hate, or utterly impenetrable to him. Only two had ever come close to making sense. One was Organa. He?d asked after the torture session one day, before she?d broken and given him Mara, ?Why do you fight?? Leaning against the wall, languid after watching her writhe under the torture droid?s needles; he was curious.

She?d turned her head. Huddled on the cot, clothing in disarray, hair matted, shivering violently in reaction to the drugs, her eyes had been as damnably and coldly disdainful as ever as she looked at him. ?You,? she had said lowly, with a great deal of feeling, ?could never understand. Never.?

It had reminded him of another Rebel ? suspected Rebel, to tell truth ? whom he?d had in his cells years before. An old man, practically decrepit, hardly worth the effort. He?d had a similar steadfastness to Organa, but the expression in his eyes as he?d looked at Luke was ? inexplicably; eventually infuriatingly ? that of pity rather than contempt. When Luke had asked him the same question he asked them all, he?d looked at Luke with that unsettling compassion and said, ?For the same reason you so despoil yourself, my boy.?

He?d been younger than, weaker. The words had shaken him in a way that he?d never quite been able to overcome. The way the pity in the dark eyes had never faltered ? not even when filmed in bloody death ? had done nothing to assuage his disquiet.

The reminder was not welcome.

Still. That was years ago. He?d killed the old man, had him jettisoned into space ? let those eyes look with their damning pity on the immensity of the universe and the uncaring stars in their glory, for all he cared. So long as they weren?t on him.

Organa would be dead soon, too, in her defiance and her dignity, and plenty of Rebels looked to die with her in their futile rescue effort. Fine. Let her be sent out with red Rebel blood. He quite liked the irony.

The Rebels fought with typically dogged determination. They had to be truly desperate. An attack on his capital itself, at a time when his forces were especially alert ? it was stupid even by their deranged standards. There was no fathoming their motives.

He led the battle from his flagship. The fight lasted into the evening. The Rebels? fleet, though ragged and run-down, was surprisingly sizable. They must have rallied every last ship in their bays ? he?d never seen them in such a number. It didn?t equal the strength of his fleet, didn?t even come close, but presented a challenge nonetheless. The Rebels may have been a collection of dreamers and fools, but when they fought, they gave it all they had. He knew better than to underestimate that.

But it wasn?t enough; they were losing. When the Rebels began to limp and list a retreat, he turned f

11. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    You made me speechless. And that's not easy. All I can say is :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| That really sums up the last post. That was so beautiful. And so sad.

So Mara did save him. Poor Mara, having to do that to him, even if she wanted to. :(

But a great post, if a bit gloomy. Great work, overall. I can't wait for that sequel.

~Myra <-- Call me that. :p

EDIT - FIRST POSTIE! :_|

12. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    As much as it pains me to say it, I suppose that was the only way. Luke was too far gone to be redeemed, but at least he was freed in the only way possible. Poor Mara, though. I wonder what will happen to her now. (After all, you did mention a sequel. ;) )

13. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    :_| I actually got teary-eyed at that one. As utterly evil as Luke had become (and realistically, non-romantically, he was probably as bad or worse than Hitler), we knew there was good in him at one point, and so ... we want that redemption. :( No one is perfect, and so redemption is the ultimate joy, I think. Which is why this story is so ... so ... heartwrenching! :_| :_|

Though I will confess, with your usage of words, I suspect a twist. [face_mischief]

14. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm teary eyed. Luke could only be saved by death. At least his eyes are blue again.

Need go read something happy now.

15. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Wow. :eek: That was wierd, twisted, and one of the best fics I have ever read.

16. JediCallista_1_6_e54

JediCallista_1_6_e54 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    *Cries, but smiles because luke was saved*

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay, release!

18. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

WOAH. :eek:

That was quite an ending!

But I'm so glad you have a sequel in store! WOOT! [face_dancing]

Your writing is simply beautiful, Knight_Aragorn. Even though it's prose it really reads like poetry.

Thank you for this story :)

19. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    This entire fic is amazing. Terrific writing, KA!

You should be extremely proud of this.

oldj

20. Knight_Aragorn

Jun 15, 2003
    Myra: *hands out tissues* :p Mara definitely had a difficult choice there. To kill the person you love or watch him destroy himself? :(

Thanks for reading! It?ll be great to have you along for the sequel. :D

JediBMK: You?re right, there wasn?t really any other way for things with Luke to go. In my opinion anyway. Others might not agree. :p Yes, I did mention a sequel? :D Thanks for reading!

obaona: As utterly evil as Luke had become (and realistically, non-romantically, he was probably as bad or worse than Hitler), we knew there was good in him at one point, and so ... we want that redemption. No one is perfect, and so redemption is the ultimate joy, I think. Which is why this story is so ... so ... heartwrenching!

Interesting point? [face_thinking] You?re right, Luke was very much an evil person. I made a deliberate effort not to try to excuse that aspect of his character. Really, there could have been redemption, had he been willing to seek it, but he wasn?t. So this was the only alternative. And still it seems to be the easy way out, considering all the hurt and suffering that he has inflicted on others over the years?

Though I will confess, with your usage of words, I suspect a twist.

Really?? [face_mischief] How interesting. :p Thanks for the feedback!

RebelMom: Luke could only be saved by death. At least his eyes are blue again.

Yes, his eyes are back to blue again. I kind of went back and forth on that, but it seemed right in the end. The yellow was a reflection of his darkness, and that was a conscious thing, so it makes sense that they would revert to their nature colour now.

Need go read something happy now.

Sounds like a good idea. :p

Valin: Weird and twisted covers it well. ;) *blushes* And thank you!

JediCallista_1_6_e54: I know how you feel. :p Thanks for reading! :)

DarthIshtar: Yup, release, and not just for Luke either. Thanks for reading. :D

LadyPadme: Thank you. Glad you?ve enjoyed it. :)

Oldj: *blushes* Thanks! [:D]

21. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    After all of the glorious build up the ending was completely satisfactory. It managed to answer all the important questions without wrapping them up and tying them with a bow. Luke's salvation was wonderfully subtle, reedeming him in a way that refused to ignore the evil that he'd become.

And I guess I was right about not everyone dying! I'm curious what you will do with the sequel. I can't imagine Leia will trust Mara much after this, but perhaps they'll need each other. Or maybe you'll go in a completely different direction and surprise me!

~Lurker

22. Jedi_Anais

Jedi_Anais Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    :eek:

Wow. That was...wow. :eek: I feel so sad for Mara. And Luke.

Luke's eyes turned blue? :eek: :_| I guess that means he's really free.

And I got my reconciliation! :eek: [:D]

That was really great, K_A. Thanks for writing it.

23. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    *sigh*

What a relief!! That was really great!!

24. RebelPrincess

RebelPrincess Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2001
    :_|

...words fail me.

I loved the ending. Call me crazy, but I like stories that don't end happily ever after with white picket fences :p

Although, in a way, it was a happy ending since Luke found a release from his evil, and the galaxy is freed. (and Han and Leia are together again :))

All I can say now is "SEQUEL!!!!!!!!!!!"

25. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Mara really did love Luke.. despite it all...

What a sad and emotional tale...

Great work, Knight, premo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.