main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore -- Dark Luke, Mara -- sequel teaser up 5/23

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Knight_Aragorn, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    She saved him in a flare of red light.

:_| :_| :_|

Even if I did predict this ending, it's still heartwrenching. How terrible this was for Mara, loving him, yet hating what he had become. And the part where Leia returned to the chamber and saw that his eyes were blue again -- another heartbreaker. :_|

I'm afraid the sequel, from Mara's POV, is going to be just as sad.

Excellent story. =D= Now I have to go join the masses looking for a happy L/M story.

2. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    absolutely amazing! This story was wonderful... sad, but wonderful! =D=

AG88

3. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    absolutely beautiful story. wonderful wonderful. such good writing. You say so much with few words. Can't wait to read the next part - about Mara when she was gone. Loved all the chapters.

keep up the great writing. Thank you for this story! :*)

4. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Well, I kinda figured it out. The way Luke died I mean. The "hints" just made sense to me. I found this to be a very interesting story, that had me twisting my mind to fit into everyone's viewpoint.

I have to sat that I loved how all the little pieces of the puzzle droppped into place, and that the Imperial revolt, while unexpected by me, made perfect sense. In his pain Luke ignored everything.

The description of his death. Took.My.Breath.Away.

This was an amazing fic.

Sequel? AHHHHH!!! I love you.

5. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    That was amazing!

6. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm in awe of you. Strangely enough, the ending is almost a happy one, considering the circumstances. We all want Luke to be redeemed because he's Luke, but he could only find true redemption and release through death. And poor Mara! Having to kill the one you love in order to save him. It's heartbreaking, but wonderful.

It only really dawned on me during this passage:

His lightsaber, the damned and damning thing that he abhorred. That she knew he abhorred.

That Luke never really used the Force at all during this fic, apart from feeling it at the end there. I find that interesting, as it seems he almost turns his back on his own abilities, his heritage. Perhaps, deep down knowing all he is doing is swrong, he doesn't want to be answerable to the Force itself? That it would act almost like his conscience? I might have to mull over that for a while.

I really loved this line:

How he envied her that. How he admired and hated and loved her for it.

I think it really sums up Luke, and this fic, very nicely.

Bring on the sequel!

7. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    I'm taking Music and Art History over the summer and we just learned that Vespasian was the roman emperor who had the Coliseum built. There are some interesting parallels, intentional perhaps?

Emperor Vespasian

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    It had reminded him of another Rebel ? suspected Rebel, to tell truth ? whom he?d had in his cells years before. An old man, practically decrepit, hardly worth the effort. He?d had a similar steadfastness to Organa, but the expression in his eyes as he?d looked at Luke was ? inexplicably; eventually infuriatingly ? that of pity rather than contempt.

Obi-Wan! :eek: :_|

The Force roiled.

If ever there was an example of the incredible power just a few words can have, this is it. :eek: Excellent choice of words. :cool:

?But you hid it,? she whispered. ?As you do some many things. You smother yourself, with such?? Her voice faltered for a moment. ?With such brutality.?

I love Mara's insight here. That's absolutely the perfect way to put it. :D

She bore her pain and always had, in her silent way. He ? he was crippled by his.

Corrupted.

How he envied her that. How he admired and hated and loved her for it.

Do you know how hard it is to keep trying to find different ways of saying, "Perfection"? :p

?This isn?t over,? she said, her voice low. It was both a threat, and a plea.

He brushed the tears away gently, and swore, ?Not ever.?

:_| :_| :_|

Curling herself to the side of the galaxy?s most hated man, Mara Jade wept.

:_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

?He?s beyond us now.? Leia paused a moment, then said, ?That was always her intention.?

It's a mark of high quality writing, that with all Luke's horrendous acts and crimes, I still feel for him (and Mara) enough that my first reaction to Leia's words was "Good for Mara."

Leia returned to Vespasian?s bedchamber later, much later, as the long, long night succumbed to dawn. Jade was gone.

What bothers me more than almost anything else in the whole dark story is the thought of Mara loving Luke as she did, yet having to continue life alone, knowing the pain of his life, knowing that she had been the one to kill him. No matter how it freed him, she still had to live with the memory of killing him. And now where is she? All by herself, undoubtedly missing him, never being able to mention him or her past life to anyone, having to bear that level of pain completely alone. :(

After a long time, she reached and brushed aside a strand of tow-blonde hair falling over his forehead. ?Wretched creature,? she whispered. ?I?m glad she gave you release.?

And, finding her own peace, she rose and walked from the room, not looking back.

I'm glad that Luke was given release too, and that Leia found peace, but Mara's fate is haunting me. :_|

Overall - I don't think I have any words that can do this story justice. It's one of those rare, marvelous, treasured finds that's practically perfect to the word. The story is impressive and insightful, the phrasing is always elegant and evocative, and the characterization is wonderfully accurate. It's a terrific achievement, and I'm so glad to have been able to go along for the ride. [:D] I can't wait for the sequel (though I hope to maybe find out what eventually happened to Mara [face_worried] ) - or pretty much anything else you choose to write, really. :D [:D]

9. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    What was good about this story were the interactions between Leia and Mara. And how mara was somewhat ambiguous about her loyalties, though she was devoted to Luke, in a way, in a deep way. I had some sympathy for Luke til he started torturing Leia, then it was time for the gloves to come off, so to speak :(). Interesting that many readers / writers / fans seem to like this dichotomy of both Leia and Mara having this courtly, royal, high society side along with being tough fighters / warrior women. It's almost like Leia is willing to give that up easily to be with Han.

The ending was suspenseful, though I had a bit of idea about tragic scenarios. Hope to keep reading many more of your fics, Knightly! Thank you

10. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    just must say. .

Wow. . .

11. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Lurker: Thank you! You were right, it wasn't everyone that died -- just Luke. :p The sequel will be going backwards in time to begin with. [face_thinking] But I think Leia would have some definite issues with Mara, were they to meet again.

Thanks for posting that link about the Roman Vespasian, as well. [face_thinking] I hadn't really looked into him that deeply, so some of that info was surprising to me as well. :p There's some interesting stuff there... :D

Jedi_Anais: Yes, reconciliation, but no picket fences... ;) Thank you for reading it! [:D]

AvenKiel: It was a pretty intense ride, wasn't it... :p Thanks!

RebelPrincess: 'Happily ever after' definitely doesn't cover this story. :p Glad you liked the ending, and thank you very much for reading! :D

RedGold: Mara did love Luke, and he loved her, in his twisted way... [face_thinking] Thanks for the feedback! :)

Jedi-2B: Good to know I managed to thoroughly depress everyone. :p The sequel isn't nearly as dark and depressing as this one is... though I think it'll have its moments. [face_thinking] Thank you for reading.

AG88: Thank you! :D

GirlJedi: *blushes* :p Thank you for the lovely feedback. I enjoyed writing the Mara/Leia interactions, so I'm glad you liked them. The two women are very alike, and yet the circumstances of their lives have led to them being on opposite sides. It's interesting to look at the similarities between the two of them. [face_thinking] And you're right about Mara being highly ambiguous in her loyalties -- her devotion to Luke seems to be constantly at odds with her extreme discomfort with his actions.

Thank you very much for reading! :D

StarFighter5: So you saw Luke's death coming? I tried to drop a lot of hints through the story, so it didn't come as a complete shock... Because really, it's not a surprise to either him or to Mara. They've both known that this was coming for a long time.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the story so much. :D

FelsGoddess: Thank you. :)

JadeLotus: You got it exactly! :D Luke barely touches the Force, and doesn?t carry his lightsaber with him. Something about that is very strange? Sith aren?t exactly known for their reticence. [face_thinking]

It?s been great to have you reading. [:D] Thanks for the feedback!

Gabri: No, not Obi-Wan!! :eek: No, no, no? I wouldn?t kill Obi-Wan like that. [face_worried] That was just a completely random OC. The possible confusion didn?t even occur to me. [face_blush]

And it?s really, really interesting that you brought out about how Mara?s going to be alone now. [face_thinking] Things may not be entirely as they seem?.

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! I?m glad you enjoyed the story. [:D] [:D]

maramijade: Thank you! :D

12. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    DRL is pretty hectic at the moment, so it might be a couple of weeks before I start to post the sequel... Here's a bit of a teaser to give you an idea of what's in store. It begins a little while after Mara leaves Luke in Your Eyes Aren't Blue Anymore...

Tatooine.

The young woman steps into the dark night, pulling a dirty cloak around her shoulders, tight over the bulge of her stomach. Her hair whips in violent winds as she clings to the edge of the building that houses the rundown spaceport she has just left.

The darkness swirls around like a living thing, impenetrable, angry. After a moment, she gathers the frayed bag by her feet and walks further, the rough sandstone wall scraping her shoulder. She doesn?t stray from the lee of the building, unwilling to test the power of the harsh winds.

After a dozen steps, she lets out a small cry and drops the bag. She leans forward, hands pressed to her swollen belly. Her eyes turn inward. She breathes carefully, fingers massaging her taut stomach through the rough tunic, her lips moving wordlessly.

A few minutes pass. She closes her eyes, then awkwardly crouches to lift the bag again.

She only makes it a step before the pain comes again, sharper this time. She whimpers for the first time in her life, and sinks again the wall.

?Luke,? she whispers, the sound raw, torn from her lips by terror. Tears streak down her face, cutting through layers of fine dust. She leans her head back and snarls, ?Luke!?

The night wind whirls around her, lifting her hair around her face in streaming fingers of red-gold. She lifts her head. Her lips curl, baring her teeth to the shadow, her eyes blazing defiance and pain.

Alone and in darkness, Mara Jade gave birth.

.... so who's interested? [face_mischief]

13. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    OMG! I'm interested! I'm interested! Me! Me! Me!

Can't wait for the fic. Wait, back up. Gave birth? Luke - Vesparian - has a KID?!?

Okay, that's out of my system. Really can't wait for the fic.

~Myra

14. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Ooh Oh Oh, ME!! *raises hand*

15. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*dies*

And you want us to wait now? :eek: :_| :_| :_|

Okay, I'll try to be patient. :_| *bangs head on keyboard*

But I'm glad it was an OC and not Obi-Wan. :D *hugs Obi-Wan protectively* [face_love]

16. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    :eek:

Oh, you tease.

I had wondered why in this fic (since they had been together so long) they'd never had a child. But then again, I suppose that was one of the things that Luke would fear most. And they took their damn sweet time in the profics as well ;).

But wow.

Poor Mara. Alone, frightened and in pain, giving birth to the son of a monster. I would say something else but I wouldn;t want to breach the spoiler policy.

She doesn?t stray from the lee of the building
    I find this phrase wonderfully interesting. Lee isn't really a word you read very often and never hear. It reminds me on The Secret of NIMH..."Move your house to the lee of the stone..."

But yes, i'm interested!

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm SO behind on this! My apologies. I'll get caught up as soon as the kids get out of school. Yikes! Lots of great reading to do. :D

18. lurker2209

lurker2209 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    ME!! Definately interesting. Mara left to have Luke's baby! On Tattooine! Which means their kid is out there somewhere, right? This is going to be good! (If you can't tell, I love fics about Mara and Luke's kids!)

~Lurker

19. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    MEMEMEMEMEME!!!!!!

Sounds interesting...

20. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I had a pretty good idea that something like this had happened. She wouldn't want the baby to grow up in such darkness. Looking forward to more.

21. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    :eek: Teaser? Baby?! Wait?! :mad:

Just go ahead and change your name to Black_Knight_Aragorn, K_A, because you have a heart of stone. :p

I guess I'll just be hangin' around, waiting with the others. *passes Gabri_Jade some Tylenol* You might want this--you smacked that keyboard pretty hard there, Miss Gabri. ;)

22. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

GAK!!! :eek:

Holy cow! That really IS a cliffhanger of a teaser you threw out there, KA!

Well, here's hoping that DRL lets you write more of this great story...

I'll be waiting :)

23. Jedi_Anais

Jedi_Anais Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    :eek:

ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME! ME!

Making us wait is pure evil, K_A.

The child does live though, right? And then he(or she) goes to live in a house with a white picket fence... ;) :p

24. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm ready for the sequel!! Baby Luke, Jr. Son of a Sith. Hidden away. Hmmm... sounds familiar, though this one won't have to redeem his father.

25. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Alone and in darkness, Mara Jade gave birth.

I KNEW IT!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.