BC Your Fav Book

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by jade_angel, Apr 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade_angel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    So what's your favourite sw book?

Mine personally, would be Shadows of the Empire, I just love what Steve Perry did with Vader.
  2. Jedi_Master_Bren Jedi Youngling

Definatly NJO:eek:nslaught II:Ruin

I love Corran Horn in the book he is just so cool. I like how the Solo twins are developing as well.

Brendon
  3. jade_angel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah, Corran's a cool character, though he doesn't have the same edge as he did in I,Jedi or in the X-Wing series. I guess because he's all Jediy now. Hehe
  4. THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'd say A.C. Crispin's Han Solo series because I like the way she (I think it's a she) tried a lot of the loose ends in the series together.
  5. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Thing is, there's so much to say about the different storylines the authors have followed. I have read a tonne of the books now (nowhere near all of them, but... I'm getting close... :)), and I like different things about many of them. Consistently, I'd say that the X-Wing series has been superb from the start: good admixtures of humour and action, very good character developements, and a storyline that continues throughout a long period of time, without seeming surreal (I mean, how many times can Leia and/or the kids *get* kidnapped? ;) How many women have to fall for Luke? And let's not even touch the *fanfic* :)).

I like several of the short stories from the various anthologies, but I have to say of all the authors the one who most impressed me as being the closest to canon was Timothy Zahn, in all five of the Thrawn books. I think he created a wonderful character in Thrawn, and his whole plotline and characterisations hit the nail on the head as to what would have been happening in the next three movies. (It still *could*, frankly.)

Mara Jade is a very cool character, and could easily have sprung headlong from Lucas, like Athena from Zeus. I'll even forgive him the invention of Talon Kardde as his own Mary Sue in there, what with Ghent and Bel Iblis and the huge variety of other wonderful characters to whom he introduced the readership, and rekindled the interest in SW enough for Lucas to set to work remastering the originals and writing the prequels.

I think we owe that man a greater debt of gratitude than just about any other modern contributor to the SW mythos.

I read the three original books long before I ever saw the movies, too... :)

*Derisa*
  6. death_blooms Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The NJO books have renewed my faith in star wars expanded universe literature...
    I love Corran Horn so the Dark Tide books i found to be really exciting, but i would have to say that i liked the last 50 pages of Edges of Victory- Conquest... talk about incredebly cool action...
  7. death_blooms Jedi Youngling

star 1
    The NJO books have renewed my faith in star wars expanded universe literature...
    I love Corran Horn so the Dark Tide books i found to be really exciting, but i would have to say that i liked the last 50 pages of Edges of Victory- Conquest... talk about incredebly cool action...
  8. jade_angel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well, if I were to choose my favourite NJO book, I'd say Balance Point. I'm hoping for Rebirth to be even better.
  9. Traders_Luck Jedi Youngling

star 3
    ya i loved sote too (i got 95% on a book report on it in gr 8)

i also liked the han solo andetures and the han solo trilogy
  10. LAZARO_DENMAN Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I really enjoyed the Han Solo Trilogy by Brian Daley, published all those years ago. That man's death was a loss to the GFFA, to be sure.

I've only jest begun the NJO books, and they're comin' out one a year now, so I've a ways to catch up. What I have read of them I haven't gotten that into: too far ahead for me, and the action seems choppy:too much and then nothin' for whole chapters: like they can't make up their minds what sort of story to tell.

I'd have to say, the book of all of the ones I've read that I enjoyed the most, humour and pathos-wise, would be book seven of the X-Wing novels: Solo Command. Aaron Allston is a very impressive young writer: he does a lot in only a few words, and as a writer inclined to verbosity, I find that admirable.

And his interpretation of Wedge Antilles as a man who understands both the pressures of the Life, and the pressures of leadership: that there is somethin' to be admired.

I encourage anyone who has heistated to pick up the X-Wing series to give 'em a try: if you are a fan of Corran Horn or Stackpole's style, the first five are superb, and if you like things lighter but still intense (more intense by contrast, in point of fact), the later books by Allston leave literally nothin' to be desired.

Jest my two creds,

Lazaro "DL" Denman
  11. jade_angel Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Well I just read Rebirth and I must say that I love it! Especially the ending gotta say that I'm in love with Benny-Boy, babys are so cyuuuuute!!! :)
  12. AdeptusAstartes Jedi Youngling

Im not sure of the exact name but this book I read quite some time ago, Splinter of the minds eye I believe, had all the great characters, Vader, Leia and luke. It had nothing to do with the story line in the movies but it was what got me into the
    whole star wars thing in the first place.
    and I have never looked back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.