main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Favorite Actors - Who and Why?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Katya Jade, Jun 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterTutham27

PeterTutham27 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2001
    Harrison Ford, Ewan, and Mel Gibson!

2. Darth Pikachuwbacca

Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2000
    Bruce Campbell

3. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    Actors:Gary Sinise, Tom Hanks, Vin Diesel, Samuel L. Jackson, Will Smith

Actresses:Natalie Portman, Ashley Judd, Julia Roberts

I think most of the above mentioned are rather talented. Vin hasn't been in much yet, but I think he'll become rather well known.

4. Qui-Gon Zero

Qui-Gon Zero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    1. Al Pacino - (Scarface, A Dog Day Afternoon)
    2. Robert DeNiro - (Goodfellas, Taxi Driver)
    3. Christopher Walken - (Deer Hunter, Suicide Kings)
    4. Gary Oldman - (The Professional, True Romance)
    5. Edward Norton - (American History X, Fight Club)
    6. Tom Hanks - (Forrest Gump, Saving Priate Ryan)
    7. John Malkovich - (Rounders, Of Mice and Men)
    8. Jim Carrey - (The Truman Show, Liar Liar)
    9. Kevin Spacey - (Seven, American Beauty)
    10. Mel Gibson - (Braveheart, Payback)
    11. Jack Nicholson - (The Shining, A Few Good Men)
    12. Robin Williams - (Good Will Hunting, The Fisher King)
    13. Frances McDormand - (Fargo, Almost Famous)
    14. Sean Penn - (Carlito's Way, U-Turn)
    15. George Clooney - (From Dusk till Dawn, Ocean's Eleven)
    16. Holly Hunter - (The Piano, Raising Arizona)
    17. Jude Law - (Gattaca, The Talented Mr. Ripley)
    18. Denzel Washington - (Glory, Philidelphia)
    19. Samuel L. Jackson - (Pulp Fiction, A Time to Kill)
    20. Tim Robbins - (The Shawshank Redemption, Jacob's Ladder)
    21. Ewan McGregor - (Shallow Grave, Trainspotting)
    22. Steve Buscemi - (Ghost World, Desperado)
    23. Brad Pitt - (12 Monkeys, Snatch)
    24. John Cusak - (High Fidelity, Better Off Dead)
    25. Johnny Depp - (Blow, Donnie Brasco)

5. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

well.. everyone here as pretty much listed anyone that i would have and for the same reasons..

but i will throw in a name that i haven't seen yet...

Tim Roth... (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (with Gary Oldman), Reservior Dogs, Four Rooms, Rob Roy)

6. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Okay guys, make this a discussive thread, or I'm going to have to lock it. If all you want to do is post lists of fave actors, there are threads in JCC for that. Please discuss their works and styles.

7. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Okay Katya here goes trying to save your butt. :p

Let's dicuss Ewan Mcgregor first. Yeah, He was in SW, and all girls drool over him, but let's look at his other movies.

Black Hawk Down(2001) A great job of acting by Ewan. Saving other guys, nearly getting shot, this was a hard role for him, but defently one of his best.

Moulin Rouge!(2001) Haven't seen it, so I woudn't know, but have heard great reviews about his acting in it. Heard he sang too! :p

Let's talk about these movies, and others that he's be in. We'll do a new actor each week. ;)

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    His performance in Moulin Rouge was brilliant. He was seriously shunned by the Oscars. He should have at least been nominated. You should really watch it! :D Third best musical of all time, in my opinion. :D

9. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks, Kadue and Iwishiwasajedi! I was going to bring that up as well. Let's discuss!

Ewan - Yes, Moulin Rouge was great. However, I think my favorite performance of Ewan's up to this point is Trainspotting. He could have easily played that part very stereotypically but he really was able to make a heroin addict sympathetic. The whole "self-detox" scene was amazing.

10. Rilina

Rilina Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2000
    Hmm, so many of these lists only have current actors. In the past couple of years, I've been on an old movie kick and I really have started to appreciate some of the work that actors of the past did. The starlets of the 30s and 40s were certainly beautiful, but they had a sophistication and intelligence that shines through, even in black and white. They delivered some incredibly difficult dialogue as well--a lot of time has passed since movies like Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, and All About Eve, but not many of the movies made since then have matched them in dialogue. So my admiration goes to Katherine Hepburn, Rosalind Russell, Bette Davis and the like. I also love Ingrid Bergman, who starred in two of the most romantic movies of all time--Casablanca and Notorious. For those movies to work,you have to believe that Bergman's character could really be so desired and loved--and you believe becaus Bergman was a great actor.

And if you're going to bring up old-time leading ladies, you have to pay some attention to their leading men. My two favorites are Cary Grant and Fred Astaire. Grant is such a charmer (even when you can't trust his character)--but he can do comedy and suspense just as well as romance. Astaire--well, you have the classic "song and dance" movies like Swing Time and Top Hat. I can't imagine a single current actor who could pull off Astaire's roles. He really brought a special personality to his roles.

So what do people think? Can the actors of today compare to those of yesteryear? Obviously, it's easier to have favorites among the actors of today (simply because we've probably seen more of their films). And, sure, there were plenty of terrible actors back then too! But in what era of movies do people think acting was better? Personally, I think there's only a handful of current actors who have both the talent and presence to compare with the giants of the past.

11. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Right on, Rilina. I'm also guilty of over looking past actors; I think they deserve to be listed here.

My favorite "past" actors? Read on...

Spencer Tracy
    Audrey Hepburn
    Cary Grant
    Marlon Brando (the thinner, younger version)
    Jimmy Stewart
    Sidney Poitier
    Peter Sellers

And some "old" actors who are still working today:

Robert De Niro
    Jack Nicholson
    Robert Redford
    Dustin Hoffman

I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

12. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    You make an excellent point. I'm a big fan of old movies and I can't for the life of me figure out why I neglected to put any of those classic era actors on my list. So now I will:

I absolutely love Humphrey Bogart. Not only is he in one of my favorite movies of all time ("The Maltese Falcon") but he has such an incredible screen presence in every one of his films that he outshines nearly any actor you'd care to name.

Marlon Brando is another favorite. Most of you younger folks probably know him best for his role in "The Godfather", but he arguably did some of his finest work when he was much, much younger. Check out "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "The Fugitive Kind" to see a young Brando at his finest.

You mentioned Fred Astaire, but where would he have been without his frequent co-star Ginger Rogers? She was also wonderful in her roles away from Fred Astaire in films like "Kitty Foyle".

When I think of more I'll post them.

13. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Darn, I was going to mention all of my classic movie favorites this afternoon and would have been the first. ;) Oh well, I'll name off my favorites anyway.

My all-time favorite, hands down, is Jimmy Stewart. Not only was Stewart a talented entertainer (see Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Destry Rides Again, and Vertigo and you'll know what I mean), but he was also a gentleman, a war hero, and a humble actor. He even did a musical. ;) Although most people recognize his work on It's a Wonderful Life, his talent extends much farther than that film.

Then, we have Cary Grant: suave, sophisticated, James Bond. ;) Really, Grant is a phenomenal definition of cool (Flemming did ask Grant to play 007!) and has done such extensive work from Holiday and Bringing up Baby to To Catch a Theif and Charade. He's an icon, and a fantastic one at that.

Another name that comes to mind: Fred Astaire. He didn't charm with dashing good looks or a mellifluous singing voice; he charmed with his feet. Clearly the most graceful, skilled, and creative dancer of all time. Astaire wowed me in Top Hat and Broadway Medley of 1940. Sophistication at its best, with or without Rogers.

I'll only mention Bogart briefly, but he is also a wonderful performer, so very trademark, so very talented. And I'll mention John Wayne (the ultimate tough guy, just watch The Longest Day and The Flying Tigers) and Charlie Chaplain (a true genius of the silent era, City Lights is a great example).

As for leading ladies (wow, I am far too elaborate, I think ;) ), I must mention Katharine Hepburn who awed me with her many performances (Holiday, Philadelphia Story, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and On Golden Pond). So many terrific leading ladies, but I'll mention a far less recognized actress, Jean Arthur. Arthur was a Capra favorite and most definately a comedic and dramatic actress, very talented and very under-appreciated. Arthur appeared in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, You Can't Take it With You, and is the *original* Winona Ryder role of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. My last pick is actually a television actress, the amazing Lucille Ball who needs no other introduction.

:) Geez, I've got a lot of favorites!

14. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    I'll only mention Bogart briefly, but he is also a wonderful performer, so very trademark, so very talented

I can't say much for Bogart's acting ability, but he commands so much screen presence and had so much finesse and boldness that you can't help but like the guy. I'd probably put John Wayne in the same category as well.

Also, Charlie Chaplin is great and all, but how come Buster Keaton doesn't get any recognition? Come on, people! Go see The General; it's classic Keaton.

15. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    One of my favorites has to be Cary Grant. He had such a wonderful ability to play any part. Arsenic and Old Lace is hysterical. He can pull off broad comedy with such ease. But then, his role in An Affair to Remember is so understated and controlled. I could list all his films, but he really was a brilliant actor.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I think Bogart was a better actor than people give him credit for. In Maltese Falcon, he was the definitive anti-hero in my opinion, and by the time he delivers his closing monologue, it's just so raw you can't help but feel the pain.

Watch Sabrina to see him at his comic best, underplaying dutifully, but still hilarious. Treasure of the Sierra Madres is another good one. His portrayal of Fred C. Dobbs remains one of the most chilling descents into madness in film history. Brilliance!

I'll agree that Keaton is underrated. Steamboat Bill, Jr. is sheer genius.

Grant is one of my favorites too. What a career! Too many great films to mention.

Bergman still gets my vote as the most attractive woman in Hollywood history.

Aack, too many people up for discussion right now! :p

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm always happy to jump in and talk about acting :)

My past actors:
    Audrey Hepburn- she's just the essence of charming and lovely. She's also quite funny. I love Breakfast at Tiffany's, Sabrina, Dial M for Murder, and more...

Jimmy Stewart- can't get enough of Hitchcock films, and he is in so many great one. He's just the everyman and so lovable.

Jack Lemmon- even his work up until he passed away was still good. Like Glengarry Glen Ross! He was funny and also dramatic. A great, classic actor.

Tony Perkins- of course his best known performance is in Psycho. That's one of my very favorite films of all time. The brilliance of his performance as Norman Bates... wow. And he was only 27 at the time! What a spectacular guy he was.

Now onto the currents...

Harrison Ford- probably one of the most recognized/liked actors ever. Charming, handsome, rugged, funny. He's also very serious about his work. He does action which is fun, but he can also be very serious like in Witness or funny like in Working Girl.

Tom Hanks- versitile, my favorite characteristic of actors! He's got the drama nailed and he also is laugh out loud hillarious. Seriously deserving of the praise that he's gotten! He's been in so many great films- Forrest Gump, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, Saving Private Ryan... the list will go on!

Edward Norton- what a spectacular young talent! He continues to amaze me, and it doesn't surprise me at all that he's friends with the great Kevin Spacey (more on him later... since everyone knows how much I love him! ;) )

Julia Roberts- finally threw in an actress. Well, Julia really reminds me of those classic old actresses. She's in tons of stuff and she's got a loveable personality. She is funny and performances in such films as Erin Brokavich (I spelled that wrong I think...) was out of this world, yet down to earth.

Guy Pierce- emerging young star, who is deffinately on the right track. He's shown me at least that he can play some extrememly deep characters,a very important characteristic.

And last on my list but um, first in my heart is deffinately....

Kevin Spacey- who my beloved Jon Stewart called "and old time entertainer." It's so true! He sings, he tapdances, he directs, and oh... I think he acts too. He has played such a wide vairety of roles, and all of them so well. He's charming, funny, serious about the art of film, easygoing, and expressive. The Usual Suspects is my favorite movie ever, and Verbal Kint my favorite character. Always deep, always someone new, Kevin is just a truly great actor. And don't forget his stage work, like his jaw-dropping, criticly acclaimed run in "The Iceman Cometh." And lots of his best films aren't widely known, like Swimming With Sharks and The Big Kahuna or the comedy The Ref. All of this and more has won Kevin the top spot in my heart ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Radiohead

Mar 31, 2002
    Oh, crap! How could I forget Jack Lemmon??

19. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Well my favourites are: Denzel Washington and Vin Diesel.
    Denzel has the ability to adapt to any role, and Vin Diesel has a great presence on screen.
    My favourite female is Cameron Diaz.

I have a hate for Kevin Spacey though

20. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Favorite actors:

Hayden Christensen: I know some of you are going to say I only like him for his looks, but there are plenty of good-looking actors out there, and several I don't like, so that isn't it. I've been following Hayden's work since he was in Higher Ground, and first and foremost, he is extremely talented. He has had to play some very emotional roles, including the role of Anakin, and manages to draw the audience in while doing so. As a viewer, he makes you feel everything his character is feeling, experience everything his character is experiencing. If you haven't seen Life as a House, I highly recommend that you go rent it--you will definitely understand why he got nominated for a Golden Globe. What I don't understand is why he didn't win it.

Also, I like his personality--he is a very shy and serious person who loves acting and is not in it for the money or fame--in fact, he thinks people who want fame are deranged. He just appreciated the opportunity to get to do a film like Star Wars and work with a director like Lucas.

Natalie Portman: She has also played some very difficult roles and pulled them off well. I loved her in Where the Heart Is and in Anywhere But Here, in spite of the fact that the movie itself got bad reviews. And of course I thought she did an outstanding job in TPM and AOTC, playing another difficult role. I look forward to seeing her in Cold Mountain, a book I read and enjoyed.

Also, I have a lot of respect for Natalie as a person. She is picky about the roles she will play--she won't just take any role, just for the money. She plays girls who are mature for their age and have good heads on their shoulders. She also has persisted in getting her education at Harvard in spite of her acting commitments, and the fact that she plans to continue acting.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Radiohead- I have no idea how you could forget the Everyman. Shame on you! ;)

darth_boy- pshaw to you ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels: They were had to be one of the funniest tandoms of all time in Dumb and Dumber. They worked well together and they made the audience laugh. Now Jim Carrey has been in many movies because of that role which got him noticed. Jeff hasn't really been in many movies after that but he still does good when he's called upon.

23. IamSpartacus

IamSpartacus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Jim Carrey is underrated and a funny guy!

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree on Jim Carrey.

I also just love Denzel Washington. He's so good.

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I just saw "The Majestic" last night and was very impressed with Jim Carrey. I liked him in "The Truman Show", but even in that film he still had those Jim Carrey-isms; his physicality is so unique that it just leaps out of his character.

However, I noticed that he made a conscious effort to restrain himself physically and not let his body "go wild" in this film. Because he was able to do that, I really believed him as the character.

The movie in general was too sappy and sweet but decent for a rental. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.