main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Your Favorite Christian Music?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moviefan2k4, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Crimson Tide is one of Hans Zimmer's three or four best scores and the soundtrack is amazing. At the end, he weaves some of his own themes into the Navy's official hymn, Eternal Father, Strong to Save and creates this . . . well, here it is: Hans Zimmer's Roll Tide and his version of Eternal Father, Strong to Save.

I love when modern artists work in those old hymns. Some of those hymns are just breathtakingly beautiful and Zimmer does a great job with this one.

JediTerminator likes this.
  2. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    I've loved the Crimson Tide soundtrack since 2002. Never gets old.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  3. Ordo N-11

Ordo N-11 Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2013
    I've always loved Christmas songs and old hymns.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Pete Seeger, one of the absolute giants of music, passed recently. In his honor, a live performance of an old African-American spiritual from 1963.

And buy We Shall Overcome: Complete Carnegie Hall Concert. It's one of the most astounding live albums I've ever heard. With just his voice and one instrument, he holds the whole darn place, and the listener too, captive for forty songs. FORTY. Buy it now.

Here's one from that concert, a old spiritual that the civil rights movement appropriated. And you can here a bit of his interaction with the audience on here, which is one of the real pleasures of that concert. He's just such an affable, sweet presence on stage.

[​IMG]

Very moment I thought I was lost/Dungeon shook and my chains fell off God, I'm getting chills right now.

EDIT: Dang it, now I'm just on a Pete Seeger kick on YouTube. I CAN'T STOP CLICKING! Here's a song known as either Twelve Gates to the City or Oh What a Beautiful City. This is one from the eighties, and he hadn't lost a step.

God, I don't care if you're the most atheist person in the world, I just don't know how you can't love this music.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That movie doesn't get as much credit although I always get it mixed up with The Rock for some reason.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I've never seen the actual movie, but I love the score. It's right up there with Gladiator and Black Hawk Down.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I like Gregorian chants, but that's about it.

Ordo N-11 and Ramza like this.
  8. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  9. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    My favorite band is the relatively new Nine Lashes, they have a wonderful sound, just the right heaviness but know how to be soft too.
    I also enjoy:
    -Thousand Foot Krutch
    -Pillar
    -Skillet
    -Creed (not officially a Christian band but the members are practicing Christians and their music is theistic)
    -7eventh Time Down
    -KJ-52
    -Manafest

et al. My friend just got me into Royal Tailor, and there's quite a few others, too many to name here, that are wonderful and would choose to listen to over many others.

TheBBP likes this.
  10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999

I used my phone. Beware.pf.typos.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000

The definitive version of one of the greatest prayer songs ever written. If you don't feel a swelling of spiritual yearning at this song, well, I guess spiritual things will probably never appeal to you.

And for all the Russell Crowe bashing, the worst sin Tom Hooper's film version of Les Miserables committed was Hugh Jackman's shrieking destruction of this beautiful song. That was absolutely dreadful. And such an emotional high point of the musical, just absolutely butchered. It's called a falsetto, Hugh.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    very lovely this is

13. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013

Suck it, Christian contemp.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Love the upside down branded cross on Glen Benton's forehead.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Can't post that

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I quite like what I've heard of Sara Groves; I never got this album but I heard it was really good.

In that mellow, lilting, lovely fashion, here's another one, my favorite by Kendall Payne, a very good singer-songwriter

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    A real classic from David Byrne and Brian Eno collab album, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts. The Jezebel Spirit, which samples an old recording of an exorcism and loops it into a hypnotic, grooving music track. So good. Soooooo good.

[​IMG]

She was intended by God to be a virtuous woman! You have no right to her! Out, Jezebel, out in Jesus' name!

Just in case you needed more evidence that Eno was a genius.

18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Are you talking about some great praise? I am a HUGE fan of Kutless.

Redeemer is one of my all-time favs.

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Do you sleep on the floor?

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    seriously though, i mostly think the distinction between christian music and secular music is stupid.

that said, FIF like solojones said will always have a place in my heart. SKALLEAUJAH!

also, Dave Bazan used to be a christian. his music is great now, but the music he wrote while being a member of the faith was great too. i saw him in a living room last week.

Also, John Mark Macmillan and Gungor are great. mostly the rest sucks.

21. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000

Anybody else remember Negativland? The took samples from a sermon in which a preacher talks about hearing the phrases "Christianity is stupid! Communism is good!" blared over a loudspeaker in a Communist country and created a stunningly awesome soundscape. Does this really count as a "critique" or a "protest song?" I dunno; maybe it's just a sound experiment.

They also couldn't tour in support of this single and its album, so they released a fake story to the news media that David Brom, a sixteen year old that had just killed his entire family with an ax, was obsessed with the song and had been listening to it just before committing the murder. The media believed the hoax and didn't check t the facts on it before releasing it. The band got a lot of publicity from it and then, after the moral panic had been exposed as being entirely based on a hoax, they used samples from all the hysterical media coverage of the fake story in a twenty minute sound collage called Helterstupid on their next album. God, those guys were awesome.

23. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014