main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Your favorite comic villains?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, May 9, 2014.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    As in villains from comic books, not Nic Cage playing bad guys. I know I made a fav. villains thread ages ago but that was way too broad.

Mine is obvious so go forth and tell yours, I am curious. Preferably give an explanation why too.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dr. Doom. I like that he's generally written as a bombast with a slightly unique moral code, and yet he's utterly determined to prove he's superior to Reed Richards in almost any way he can. Nearly every time he screws up, it's just a robot, because of course it is, Doom doesn't screw up.

Also, he gives to charity.
    [​IMG]

The Riddler. A guy who leaves a bunch of puzzles because he's so convinced of his own superiority that there's no way you can possibly solve them. And then he wears a green outfit covered in question marks. It's a beautiful thing. I think a not-insignificant part of his appeal for me is that same driving motive to prove he's superior to his heroic counterpart the way Dr. Doom is, but on the other hand Victor von Doom never recorded a questionable single.

Ludwig Wittgenstein. He's perfectly willing to show your entire grand edifice is just a bunch of tautologies, while simultaneously codifying what will become its standard notation. All knowledge can only be gleamed from logical propositions, so your empirical data is meaningless. There's a rhinoceros in this goddamn room.
    [​IMG]

(Read: I needed a joke entry)

3. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Loki -- comes up with "Acts of Vengeance" just for fun, with the denouement creating the Tri-Sentinel and wiping out Manhattan... just because.

Thanos -- loves Death in an inappropriate way.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    [​IMG]

Catwoman. She's purrrrrrfect.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

No.

[face_shame_on_you]

Just no.

[face_shame_on_you]

No.

[face_shame_on_you]

No.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You think that's bad?

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The Joker: He's translate so well in every medium; comic books, movies, cartoons, video games, etc. He also reinforces my fear of clowns.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Darkseid (comics). Probably my favorite across all adaptations - although his power levels wildly fluctuate, Darkseid is consistently the deadliest challenge to Superman.

[​IMG]

Merlyn (Arrow) and Braniac (Smallville) (TV). Easily the best of the TV adaptations for me, Barrowman and Marsters took villains that I could care less about in the comics, and made them awesome. Slade Wilson from Arrow gets honorable mention, but Barrowman did more with less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ra's Al Ghul (film). I've never seen a better villain on screen in a comic film. Liam Neeson and Christopher Nolan, paired together, absolutely brilliant. Well played, well orchestrated into the story, and an integral part of the best comic trilogy ever, by far.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

LOL! I want my click back. :p

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Venom

Green Goblin

Joker

Loki

Ra's Al Ghul

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Jack Nicholson doing the Joker

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Danny DeVito as Penguin.

"I believe the word you're looking for is AAAAAAAH"

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Thanos. I'm sure they exist and I admit I have not read every Thanos appearence, but of the many I have read none of them were bad. Perhaps is not overwritten or overused. He is smarter than most and can stand against teams of superheroes by himself, not to mention he is generally more of a challange than other villains who stand against teams of heroes. Though powerful is is sly. He's a sneaky sort.

I love Loki and Nimrod and the Joker and Bullseye and Sinestro and on and on. Thanos leaves them all behind. Speaking iconically, if Vader didn't answer to anyone. That is Thanos. But Vader was delusional, Thanos is not. As he relized when confronting a free willed duplicate of himself, he cannot be trusted. He knows he's the villain.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Parallax (the comics version, not the insipid "let's pretend the audience is completely stupid" movie version) - Any villian that can use what is both a hero's greatest strength and greatest weakness and turn said hero into a villian itself is tops in my book.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  19. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Mine, I think is easy to guess: Magneto. I like villains with conviction. There's a reason Magneto does what he does, and that is pessimism. And his experience gives him every reason to be pessimistic. Of course, like all pessimists, he merely believes himself to be a realist. So does movie version of Ra's al-Ghul.

Also, honorable mention:

[​IMG]

My name is Trevuh. Trevuh Slattery. I am an actore.

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Any villain that Squirrel Girl vanquished.

Darth_Smeagol and Ender Sai like this.
  21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Spider-Man. That guy is a menace.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Superman in the movie Man of Steel version.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I feel like most of you are just posting "I like derp because he are COOL"

Is there no thought process in your brains?

edit: Also I get mentioning movie versions after you've already said your comic ones, but since when does comic villains translate to only movie villains?

Ender Sai and Healer_Leona like this.
  24. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I would argue that the best villain is Alcohol from Iron Man.

1. Alcohol is in general awesome and everyone is a fan
    2. Even when Tony beats Alcohol he ends up in his own way still defeated himself

25. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    - Magneto
    - Doom
    - All the villains in the Batman DCAU (yes it had comics too), but especially Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Two-Face, and Ra's al Ghul

DC was doing good things with Sinestro, but I haven't been following his antics lately.

If we're allowed to include non western comics I'll throw in Orochimaru as well (yes I read Naruto and I like it don't judge me okay).

MrZAP likes this.