main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Favorite Cutscenes

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Antilles2001, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Why are they called cutscenes? :confused:

I liked it when Batman used a freeze gun on Mister Freeze in Batman Vengeance. That was a tight scene. :cool:

And all the scenes with the Joker in that game were cool, too. Joker rules. :cool:

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    WC3 -- Angel getting her heart ripped out. That ruled.

Ninja Gaiden -- all of 'em.

Full Throttle/Day of the Tentacle/The Dig/Grim Fandango -- pretty much all of 'em, though the opening sequence of The Dig pretty much takes the cake.

3. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Resident Evil GC- Intro (Slabbering Dogs!)

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem- Intro (Sickeningly brilliant)

Final Fantasy VIII- Intro (Jaw dropping at the time)

Rogue Leader- End (Do I really have to say why? It's Star Wars!)

4. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    The first and second No One Lives Forever has some nice cutscenes

Aliens vs. Predator 2 has some nice ones

TIE Fighter also.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm only wagering a guess, but I would imagine the term cutscenes has to do with them being scenes that cut away from gameplay.

6. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Red Alert 2 when Tanya bends over the map :) :) :)

My favorite is the intro to Brood Wars. The music accompanying it and the drama were perfect.

Also remember the beginning of the Matrix sequence in Conker's Bad Fur Day being hillarious.

7. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Two words: Grim Fandango. :cool:

What do you need to say? Perhaps the best adventure game on PC. Every possible cutscene in Grim Fandango is worth seeing, especially when you get out of town with the new car. :cool:

8. Azzgunther

Azzgunther Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    I gotta try that game still. I wonder if it's still available?

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Am I the only person who thought the JK cutscenes were hilarious (in a bad way)?"

Some of the camera views are awful. Take the final discussion between Katarn and Desann. The beginning was good but when Kyle walks around the ledge I didn't like the camera view at all.

10. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Halo has a gamut of awesome cutscenes. But my...er...favorite (and by this I mean that it was too disturbing) was in "The Captain" episode, where the MC encounters the Floodisized Capt. Keyes and he has to plunge his fist into the Captain's gooey head to rip out the neural implants.

JK1 cutscenes are, indeed, painful to watch. The acting was horrible, the actors's blue-screen imposition against CG rendered backgrounds was lousy, the lines were hardly memorable, and the guy playing Jerec licked his lips one time too many. :p

However, JO's cutscenes -- even when rendered in the game engine -- weren't any better either. The animations looked stilted. The models facial expressions were lacking and the way the teeth showed on Kyle and a few others made it seem like they needed some serious dental work. However, the dialogue wasn't too bad and it even had some memorable lines, especially the scene between Kyle and Fyaar where the good admiral's rambling and Kyle shuts him up with "your shields will fall". :D

MGS2 indeed had some terrific cutscenes. And while some of them were exceedingly lenghty, their awesomeness is one of the game's few redeeming qualities -- for example, the one PrinceXisor mentioned: Fortune's near the end of the game, where she's telekinetically deflecting Ocelot's missile barrage.

11. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    I happened to enjoy JK's "Dark Side" ending cutscene. Kyle becomes Emperor, looks at the holodisc he was looking at at the beginning of his game that has his father giving him advice, smashes it under his boot, and he gets the hot Dark Side chick at his side. What's not to love?

I also enjoyed the "Grom Hellscream and the Demon" cutscene at the end of the orc campaign in Warcraft 3.

Thief and Thief 2 had some of the most amazing cutscenes of all time. I particularly liked Garret's first meeting with The Trickster. Now THAT was something nobody was expecting.

-Jomero

12. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I like the cutscene at the end of the Terran and Protoss campaigns in Starcraft.

13. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    What was the black Marine in the Brood Wars Intro (the one who saved the other Marines life with that rocket launcher) doing? It looked like he was rocking back and forth on something. My friend told me it's because he knew was going to die and just waited for the end.

Thoughts?

14. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Grim Fandango!
    "My names Manny Calavera! And I want a bigger cut"
    and the bone wagon is just....:D

Grim Fandango is still available. I got it for christmas.

15. bliv

bliv Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Jedi Knight

The one before the fight with Sariss is pretty good. Firstly I like the way it moves Kyle from the falling ship into the next fight without 'removing' you from the gameplay too much. For coolness factor it shows how difficult it is to control the ship, as he ends up colliding with a rock. Also has the death of Yun and that annyoing Twi'lek in it.

Metal Gear Solid 2

The cutscene where Vamp is first introduced. Pretty gory and I like the way Snake takes his role as a veteran marine. A nice touch is the way he slides a FAMAS clip along the floor to Raiden.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2 (PAL)

The whole opening cutscene complete with Queen's 'We Will Rock You' is pretty special.

16. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    I also like some of the cutscenes in Mafia.

Like the scene when your at a motel to get protection money Paulie comes out shot and orders you to go get Sam.

Also the scene in the garage when you, Sam, and Paulie are buying booze, and some rival gangster's come up and try to kill you.

That is just a few, there are a lot of nice cutscenes including the end.

17. Mr_Bond_007

Mr_Bond_007 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2003
    I'd have to say that there are a lot of good cutscenes out there.

Most of the cutscenes from StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War were really friggin' cool (mainly "Battle of the Amerigo", like someone mentioned earlier).

The cutscenes from Star Wars: The Clone Wars were even more amazing (mainly since they aren't 5 years old, like StarCraft's scenes). I loved the final cutscene of the game, where it showed Anakin's descent further towards the Dark Side, and how it showed all of the ships taking off. It just reminded me of the movies. That, and it had the Force/Skywalker Theme playing in the background, and that's my favorite piece of music from the movies. I also liked the one where Anakin tried to take on Dooku.

And the scenes from Star Wars: Bounty Hunter were beyond amazing. I also liked how they made some blooper cutscenes, just for fun.

18. Antilles2001

Antilles2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 20, 2001
    I also like the the intro to Splinter Cell. The song was cool: "That's the name of the game..."

(Does anybody have an answer to my question?)

19. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I like all of the cutscenes from Warcraft III. That intro scene rules. The scene with Dalaraan's destruction was kind of...shocking, though...in a bad way. Why did Dalaraan have to collapse?! :_|

The scene in Batman Vengeance where Bats freezes Mister Freeze is tight--as are all the ones with the Joker. :D

20. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    My favourite intro is probably Soul Edge/Blade for the PSX, the music rocks and the graphics are awesome. Sonic CD had a good one too.

My favourite ending is Final Fantasy 7.

Overall my favourite cutscene is FF8, when they are in the lake, thats when the game went from good to great for me.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I liked all the cutscenes from Ocarina of Time, too. Wind Waker has some good ones, but there aren't many.

22. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Along with Grim Fandango, I must say that the cutscenes of Diablo II are amazing. Each and every one of them.

23. StormtrooperVF101

StormtrooperVF101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 29, 2001
    My favorite game cutscenes are the ones from Imperium Galatica II. Grapihcally and musically excellent.

24. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I have to agree about Ninja Gaiden. Good game too.

WC: Prophecy had pretty good cut-scenes too. Although not of the WC3-WC4 calibur.

25. DarthLuxor

DarthLuxor Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    FFVII-When the lifestream errupts, and Tifa is pushing Cloud from the crashing docks. They just look so funny during that scene.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.