main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Your Favorite Era in the EU?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I enjoy the EU, even now with the big reboot. One thing I liked about it was the different eras it explored. So the question is, what era or eras do find the most interesting in the EU? Oddly enough my favorite is basically everything before A New Hope, like the clone wars and Old Republic stuff. Post-ROTJ never really caught my interest that much despite it being where a lot of the EU was. Even still I find it strange as I prefer the OT over the PT. A lot of it probably has to do with me growing up with the PT, or for the fact a lot my favorite EU works are in this part of star wars. Darth Plagueis, Kenobi and the Republic comics are all favorites of mine.

2. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I am interested in between ANH and ESB.
    ESB and ROTJ.
    The OT era is my favorite.

Sarge, KaleeshFett, Viper78 and 2 others like this.
  3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    The Post Imperial/New Republic era was really interesting to me. Really wish that didn't get chopped.

4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm more of a Prequel Era EU fan than anything else, but that stems from my enjoyment of the Republic Commando series above all others.

[​IMG]

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the NJO era (Not counting DNT) the most. OT/NR/Legacy comics era as well.
    KOTOR comic era also.

xezene and Cheerios4u98 like this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Pre-KOTOR Old Republic, Rise of the Empire, and Rebellion

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    KOTOR, Clone Wars, dark times

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I prefer Post RotJ and it's still valid for me regardless what labels say. It's what made me a fan.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Another era I like is the OT. Obviously the films I love, but I also enjoy lot of the side adventures the characters have.

CrazyOldHermit likes this.
  10. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    The OT is probably my favorite. The films and everything in between. Next would be the early New Republic which covers the X-Wing series, the Bounty Hunters trilogy, etc. and I enjoyed TOTJ too.

11. Tobeh

Tobeh Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2015
    Post OT within 30 years is my favorite. I thought that there was a lot of really fun content and I love the idea of a fragmented empire with admirals vying for power. Also gave more minor characters a chance to shine, esp. in the underworld. The Yuuzhan Vong era always seemed really stupid to me, so I never gave it a change. It just seemed, at face value, so far off the tracks that I was immediately disinterested.

12. Prophet 49

Prophet 49 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 11, 2014
    Dark Times/Imperial Period and the Galactic Civil War

13. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I like the post-ROTJ time period very much. IMPERIAL WARLORDS!!!

14. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Old Republic era, definitely, particularly far in the past (KOTOR, TOTJ), followed closely by anything between AOTC and ROTS.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  15. JourneymanFett

JourneymanFett Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2013
    Clone Wars and Imperial era stuff. Republic Commando series especially.

KaleeshFett and Chancellor Yoda like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I also love the Plagueis era.

17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I would like to see the Pius Dea Era further expanded storywise...

Darth_Dreadwar likes this.
  18. REJECTED

REJECTED Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    I've gotten to like the time between Plagueis (the book) and Episode 4 a lot more lately. Reading Cloak of Deception right now (Luceno uses some big words, sometimes too big for my poor non-native english-speaker head), and the political intrigue and the powerplays going on (and in) the Senate, Trade Federation and the covert workings of Palpatine is really enticing. Going to read Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and then Maul: Lockdown after this.

I also love the Old Republic era. The game itself has made a real cockup of a lot of the story, but the books are great.
    I also like hearing about the Sith Emperor Vitiate, no matter how insanely OP and ridiculous he is.

19. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    I find from around Bane to, well, Dark Empire to be where the vast majority of my favorite material lies. That also covers the vast majority of the EU, so..."zooming in" a bit, highlights within that are definitely pre-Clone Wars, Dark Times (from TFU to Rebels) to the interim of ANH and ESB and ESB and ROTJ.

20. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    NJO, Old Republic or Dawn of the Empire. I have hard time accepting works in the Galactic Civil War era.

21. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Why?

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The NJO era, characters, villains, technology etc are as much SW as the OT and PT are imo.

xezene likes this.
  23. Jo B1 Kenobi

Jo B1 Kenobi Jedi Master star 2

Jul 3, 2014
    The Old Republic, KOTOR - because the Jedi were strong and doing their thing with a big Sith threat/war going on. This era feels less constrained than others - the stories could go anywhere - there's enormous creative freedom (and freedom to imagine for us readers).

Darth Bane - Learning more a out how the Rule of Two really got going and the exploits of Sith who follow this way really interests me.

Dark Times - I like this time because you've got the massive oppression on the Empire which makes for intersting stories of survival and escape for republic citizens coupled with Jedi everywhere being suddenly lost and having to survive (I love these kind of stories, my favourite being the DarkTimes comic series with Dass Jennir.)

As well as my favourite era's there are also individual books which have had a really huge influence on me - Stover's books - Shatterpoint which is during the clone wars, Revenge of the Sith novel, but not so much the Slywalker one (moon of mindor??? of something). Also Darth Plagius was fabulous. I think a good author can open up a world and a time for me as a reader.

I quite liked the Legacy comic series era too, but it felt a bit too complex generally (lots of factions and factions within factions). I also enjoyed the Vong invasion (comics more than books as I could then see what all those villips and other weird biotech looked like. ) Neither of these two were my favourites.

spicer likes this.
  24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Vis-a-vis the post-ROTJ eras, my favorites are the Yuuzhan Vong War and the Second Galactic Civil War. My second favorite would be the time of Abeloth's uprising and the reemergence of the Lost Tribute of Sith.

As far as between the movies go, I like the stuff in between AOTC and ROTS the best (novels and TCW). I think the stuff between TPM and AOTC is underrated, and I really like it. I like the Dark Woman!

As for the the pre-TPM stuff, well, that's a lot. I'd have to name the characters who really interest me, I'd say they would include Kreia, Plagueis, Lucien Draay, Darth Bane, Darth Zannah, Bastila, Satele... Too many to name. I like a lot of the female Jedi and the female Sith are all tragic and interesting. I'd say the most interesting male Sith would be Darth Malgus and Darth Sion. They may be terrible people, but they had some soft spots, however small, that made them interesting.

25. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    My two favorite eras are the Post ROTJ- NJO and KotOR. Post RotJ has the New Republic, Alpha Blue, the X-Wing Novels, Luke's Jedi Order and a whole array of amusing baddies in the Imperial Warlords and Darksiders. It is also the most fun era to Role Play in. NJO was a great follow up to the Bantam stuff and it feels like a fitting conclusion to the Legends saga.

The period of the KotOR games deserves a mention because of the awesome CRPGs that Bioware and Obsidian created for that era. Too bad we will probably never see a proper KotOR 3.

xezene and Force Smuggler like this.