main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your favorite little moment or detail in the PT? (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Pretty much the same thing as my thread in the CT.

My favorite small detail in the PT is the close up of General Grievous's eyes when fighting Kenobi in ROTS.

[​IMG]

Just love how detailed and realistic it looks.

2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Hearing the electrodrivers in Anakin's mechanical arm in ROTS.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Off the top of my head, the shot of Mace's boots right before he walks into the Geonosis arena, combined with the accompanying music. You know something's about to go down!

Skip to 5:38

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    My fave small detail of the PT is how Dooku salutes his adversaries. That touch of class is sorely lacking in most modern stories.

5. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007

Me too. I love the poses he makes with his blade before the duel! :)

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Darth Sidious: "Welcome home Lord Tyranus. You have done well."

Nothing better than an "attaboy" from your Master.

7. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Too many to list.

For now, I'll just offer that flash of satisfaction and joy in Anakin's face, elicited by Obi-Wan's delightfully cheesy compliment in the gunship:

"Good call, my young padawan!"

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    When newly turned to evil Anakin/Vader slaughters the Separatist leaders he is walking away when one takes a shot at his back. Without looking he deflects and kills the shooter with a lightsaber block thrown over his shoulder.

9. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bail resignedly banging his fist on the balcony while watching the clone army at the end of AOTC.

11. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Being a huge Obi-Wan fan, these two moments are the first to come to mind:

--when Obi pats Threepio on the shoulder as he boards the ship to leave Mustafar after his duel with Anakin

and this moment en route to Polis Massa:

[​IMG]

12. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Palpatine looking at Artoo like he's a complete imbecile during the crash landing scene in ROTS,

just look at the way he looks at him during the few shots :p

13. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I LMAO whenever I see that. I thought I was the only kid in the theater to see that.

It's like the Irony of the biggest, baddest guy in the universe staring akwardly at his future apprentice's son's pet.

14. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Shmi's theme. It first plays when Shmi tells Anakin to leave Tatooine and move on with his life. Then it plays in Episode II, when Anakin tells Obi-Wan about his dreams. But the saddest part is when it plays when Shmi tells Anakins that she's so proud of him. The music just sounds so... fragile, at that moment.

15. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
  16. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, exactly.

The one that first came to my mind is the cut to Padmé and the look on her face after Anakin stood up, determined to find his mother and Cliegg's quite insensitive "Your mother's dead, son. Accept it.". One of the many little moments that show how Padmé softens over the course of her time with Anakin and starts to realize that her affection for Anakin is just as real as her political duties.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    For all the controversial dialogue and the stylized nature of their relationship, it's moments like this that make me feel for these characters in a very real way.

17. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Yes! And as for her political duties...

Her reaction here -- very similar to the one shown above (one of endless internal rhymes) -- says it all:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Looking forlorn and powerless in the face of pressing adversity and insuperable strife.

Padme's expressions often show her in a despondent light. Thanks to the casting, the make-up, the cinematography, and the costuming, she often looks like a figure from a religious painting: a sad Madonna.

And her gaze also matches up well with Anakin's precocious observation of her in the ship, heading for Coruscant, after she watches the hologram of Sio Bibble in TPM: "You seem sad." Not to mention Leia's description of her in ROTJ: "She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad."

What is Padme sad about, exactly? Where does it come from? Why is it so persistent? Again, it is almost a religious affectation: something that goes beyond the immediate artifacts of the situations she finds herself in. Something deep-rooted. Almost a latent Force-sensitivity, if you will. With her tribulations only adding to matters.

So it kinda baffles me when people say that the passive and weepy Padme in ROTS comes out of left-field. That the earlier Padme would never behave that way. Never allow herself to be overcome and just "give up" on life. Sometimes, I feel, people just aren't watching closely enough. The clues, I think, are there.

Anyway, I think the editing adds a touch of class and humanity to the movie -- AOTC -- in moments like these. They're only brief reaction shots of Padme, but they contribute a lot. I find that it's often the small details that add the most. And the prequel trilogy might belong more to Padme than any other.

18. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Cryogenic and Samnz , I'll simply add to your posts by contributing one of my favorite little acting moments in the trilogy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love the decision to linger on her reaction here. Like everything else about the romance, there's something that makes Padme silently uncomfortable, and whatever joy there is does not last.

My favorite detail, though, might actually be a line of dialogue:

"Anakin, if one is to understand the great mystery one must study all it’s aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Jedi."

It's such a small thing, but I LOVE the fact that Palpatine calls the force "the great mystery" here. As soon as I heard that, my understanding of the force changed. Suddenly it was this grand phenomenon in society that people had tried for millennia to unravel. I imagined scholars, Jedi and "secular" alike, attempting to figure out what this Force thing is and how it works. And I began to see the Force as very much analogous to humanities search for purpose and meaning. The very concept of midichlorians means that every individual is imprinted with some sort of greater purpose at a cellular level, and that concept excites people just as much in the GFFA as much as it would in the real world.

19. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    I love Dooku's smile here.

[​IMG]

20. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh yes, that's a great moment. You can clearly see that Padmé enjoys herself and what she experiences with Anakin right now, but there is still the "idea" that she's got "more important things to do" than falling in love. What I particularly like about this scene, though, and that lead me to this ...

... is the fact that it's subsequently taken over by a sense of joy and playfulness. They cut to the both of them having just fun with each other, accompanied by swinging music. Always makes me feel that - despite Padmé's resistance and hesitation, which is visible - love will eventually take over. For better or worse.

21. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I thought he was talking about death? As in the undiscovered country, the great mystery, all that. Makes it even creepier.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Episode II. Padme’s bedroom at night.

A wonder-world of shadows along with laser light that give way to deep blues of aqua and neon matched with curvature and vector designs; noir screens; Williams’ spacey ambiance; R2’s searching projector; a sleeping beauty. As darkly as it is luminous, and vice versa. A dream within a dream movie. Forgive the hyperbole for what might otherwise just seem like a minor series of shots, but I honestly don't think Lucas has ever before or since topped the tonality and finer nuances of this particular aesthetic.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    The shaky-cam bits in the battle of Geonosis. Ahead of its time and lends a dynamic and fractious quality to the battle.

24. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I suspect it is her awareness that she is falling for someone . . . especially a Jedi, who would be normally forbidden to her.

25. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Love Darth Mauls cool look right here.

[​IMG]

Elder74, AusStig, Raquel and 16 others like this.