main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Your Favorite Mech/Mecha Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ezio Skywalker, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    You don't see many mech games these days. I remember them being huge in the 90s. Played a bunch on my old SNES. But only a few are memorable. I think my favorite was Sierra's Battledrome on PC, which iirc, became the precursor to the Earthsiege series. I remember being amazed by the graphics and the weapons array.

The only complaint I had with Sierra's HERCs was that none of the models had jump jets, something present in Mechwarrior 2. At the time, Mechwarrior was more popular and Earthsiege kind of seemed like the poor man 's MechWarrior. I wanted to feel the MechWarrior love myself, if only because I was a fan of the Battletech cartoon, but Earthsiege and the HERCs just did more for me.

That Robotech game for the Gamecube was also decent.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Super Robot Wars series, full stop. No other mech game lets you accidentally destroy the entire universe in the course of normal use.

For that alone it is king.

Plus you get to use Stoner Sunshine, which is objectively the greatest attack in the history of mecha.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  3. JeffZero

JeffZero Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2014
    Well, it's technically a 90s JRPG, but Xenogears is my favorite mech game AND my favorite game...

4. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Definitely the Armored Core series. Some of the stories were a little choppy, but the most previous one released to consoles (X360/ PS3), was Armored Core: Verdict Day.

Here's some multiplayer gameplay.

I myself watched the Battletech cartoon, and it was great! I've also played some of the MechWarrior games, but these others I haven't seen. As far as mech/mecha games go, the Armored Core series tops my list, with MechWarrior hitting second.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    That gameplay looks pretty awesome. I never heard of the game though.

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

Somebody had to say it.

MrZAP likes this.
  7. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I've wanted to play the series for awhile, but don't know how. Do you have emulators or do you import it or... ?

And I'd probably go with Zone of the Enders.

8. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    I want to be into Armored Core a lot more than I am - I picked up 3 and For Answer cheap on XBOX basically on the premise that they are giant mech games but I just can't get into them.

I agree with the OP that the Robotech game for GameCube (Robotech Battlecry) was very good - I wish I'd gotten into the mythos of Robotech (well, I wish I'd gotten into the mythos of Macross I suppose) more than I did instead of just going for whichever one I could get to look closest to Jetfire from Transformers.

Strike Suit Zero and Strike Suit Infinity on PC are quite good and also control vaguely similarly but with the added boon of giant transforming robots and massive capship battles in space. They're also quite cheap too now - Infinity is only $7 but is basically the pure arcade challenge mode for Zero, but can be bought on a standalone basis. Zero is a little more hefty at $20 but features two (?) campaigns and a bunch of challenge modes. As I recall Zero starts quite slowly - it has you flying a standard fighter with Freelancer style controls for the first few missions before giving you access to the mech suit, but quickly kicks into top gear.

The XBOX360/PS3 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen game is quite good (despite how putrid the movie was), and War for Cybertron is passable, though how much those are actually mech games as opposed to just games that feature giant robots is debatable.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I played and used to own the two that were released in the US, which can be a good place to start since they're all original characters and you don't have to be familiar with needlessly obscure franchises, although you'd have to still have your Gameboy Advance and be willing to put up with possibly dead cartridge batteries and dumb aftermarket pricing to do that legally these days. But yeah, had to emulate the rest, and then consult guides on general plot outlines and menus for the most part. Five of the games do have fan translations and allegedly a couple of translators are working on more, though.