main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Favorite Novel

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by Darth-Seldon, Sep 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    THE CATCHER IN THE RYE
    By JD Salinger
    [image=http://www.geocities.com/exploring_citr/cpark/general/ducks_close.jpg]

This is my all time favorite novel. The character of Holden Caulfield and the interesting ethos of the novel is the product of genius. The message and the thought which were put onto the page in this novel are amazing. If you have not read it, you should.

1984 by George Orwell is another work of genius.
    Similar to that and an excellent read would be,
    Fahrenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Finally for my own reasons, I love Asimov's future history saga. The novels of The Caves of Steel-Foundation Saga.

So what are some of your favorites?

-Seldon

2. StarWars_Revelation

StarWars_Revelation Jedi Master star 5

Aug 5, 2001
    [image=http://www.non.com/bc/0/37/570/0375703241.jpg]

Then again, I may be biased for the book, because I have fond memories of my cousins, my sister, and I taking turns playing the game while at their house for the weekend. Kind of like how I love Goldeneye the movie because of the game.

But it's still a great book, with several excellent action sequences. Fatherland is another good book.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Of the dozens of books I was required to read for school, I read all of two of them. One was called Eagle in the Sky. It was about an Israeli fighter piot who was terribly disfigured in a plane crash. He fell in love with a blind Jewess, which worked out pretty well for both of them. Lots and lots of sex. (Incidentally, the high school English teacher who chose this book later became a very well-known writer of romance novels for Harlequin.)

The other book I read went on to become my all-time favorite novel -- Alas, Babylon. Late 1950's, small town Florida, nuclear war. It reminds me of two-thirds of the nuclear war trilogy of movies that all came out at around the same time in the 80s: The Day After, Testament, and Threads with the latter two being similar to the book. The book explores a small, isolated town's reaction to nuclear war and chaos on a global scale. It's a good book.

AYBABTU

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    This is a thread that someone started on the book a few months ago. I found it intresting then and still today.
    Thanks to my Senior Comp English teacher Mr. Brady. I read Catcher in the Rye. I found myself compelled by Holdens wit and the book itself. My best friend at the time agreed that if he was a real life charecter he would be one of our best friends. Because he felt like we did about the rest of the world at the time. Everyone was phoney and trying to be something they weren't.

But a few years later. I still find myself relating back to that book and relazing how much of a kid I really was back then compared to now. I lacked life experiences that caused me to see the world as a phoney place. But the older I get the more and more I realize that its not the people around me who are acting phoney but maybe just maybe its me who's really acting phoney. Trying to fit into the cookie cutter mold.

Which I don't think anyone at that age realizes that they've been train to fit into the mold. But just do it because thats what they were taught. Holden had a something terrible happen to him, to help him snap out of it. And try to regain what was lost to his brother and to himself.

All I know is the book is a great book and I think every teenager should read it at least once. If nothing more then to know what everyone is talking about when they refer to this book. If only I remember what my paper I wrote on it was about, then I could state my feelings a little better. Because its been forever since I read the book.

~PK~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.