main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your Favorite Prequel Movie and Why.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by El_Machete12, Dec 21, 2012.

1. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Didn't see a thread on this, so why not? Explanation doesn't have to be elaborate.

For a while, ROTS has been my favorite prequel movie, but recently I've fallen more for AOTC. Which is strange, because it used to be at the bottom of my Star Wars rankings. I just love the whole pulp, serial, action vibe that I think really stands out in this episode from the others, as far as prequels are concerned.

The dialogue and acting can get cringy at times, but it's just a FUN film. The Geonosis arena sequence, the Jango vs Obi-Wan, the speeder chase, it's just great eye candy.

I do like the edgier vibe of ROTS too, but I've been on a "fun>everything" streak with the movies I watch. So who knows, maybe a few months from now AOTC will be on the bottom of my list again!

SerRoel, Darkslayer and kainee like this.
  2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I prefer to think of them as one big movie in three parts. They just work better that way, especially AOTC.

However, I find AOTC to be the most interesting in terms of expanding the galaxy and ROTS the most emotionally hard-hitting. TPM is like a prologue, seemingly not very related to the bulk of the story... and yet it contains every them that's going to be explored in other movies.

Jo Lucas, cwustudent, Dranem and 2 others like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    AOTC. As the OP said, it's a fun movie, but at the same time it puts all elements in place for the massive crash that is ROTS: the concentration of all political power into Palpatine's office, the beginnings of the war, Anakin and Padme falling in love and marrying.

TPM is good for showing the origins of Palpatine as Senator, Padme as Queen and Anakin as a Jedi, and I like it, but I prefer AOTC. ROTS...the only part I like about it is the first 45 minutes, the rest is simply too painful to watch.

Jo Lucas and kainee like this.
  4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I enjoy all three. My current order would be:

ROTS
    TPM
    AOTC

I used to have AOTC ahead of TPM, but I've recently had more interest in TPM.

ROTS just does it for me. The emotional roller coaster you go on in this movie is amazing. I think it has the greatest sway of emotions of all 6 films. The depth of Anakin's character is really stretched.

The first time I saw AOTC and Anakin recounts slaughtering the Tuskens I had a frog in my throat and I couldn't help but think "wtf." Then in ROTS when he enters the room of frightened younglings, oh boy Tusken emotions times 10. That just pulls me in places very few films do.

Jo Lucas, Dranem, Alienware and 3 others like this.
  5. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    AOTC

For it's mystery, story, and homage to old plays, tragic, romance, swashbuckling adventures of old, this film is a futuristic Robin Hood.

And for all the faults I hear about AOTC, the problems that arise from it is not the movie's fault (as it's..uhh A MYSTERY)

it was ROTS' fault not not fullfilling answers,

6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Are you referring to the origins of the Clone Army? That was supposed to be AOTC's story, ROTS had too many more important things on its plate.

7. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    the Sifo Dyas part was meant to be covered in ROTS

8. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    But the investigation was in AOTC, so it should have been better resolved there. ROTS was not about that at all.

9. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    well there is a bit in the AOTC commentry

(around the asteroid chase scene) in which Lucas states we have to wait until the next movie..

obviously a cash cow..or is that (asthmatic chicken) who can weild four light sabers and be on everyones action toy Christmas list was thought of as more important

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    This could have been resolved just by adding a few lines to Dooku/Sidious and Yoda/Obi-Wan/Mace conversations. Lucas rushed in the script for AOTC and left it the EU to make sense of it.

11. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    yeah, but I think ROTS suffered because of it

I could make a thread onm why I don't really care for it much, but what's the point? i'd be label ed all sorts, hater a basher etc

anyway: AOTC fave PT movie :p

Chris_Fives likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh, don't worry about it. I've posted multiple times that I've only seen the entire ROTS movie once, and since then I've watched the first 45 minutes and turned it off. I've been told that I'm crazy and how could I possibly dislike that movie. I don't care.

13. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    you're not the only one treated like a leper then for not liking it all that much huh? :p

I should create a thread, we might be able to share common ground.

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    The only reason I can watch ROTS in its entirety is because I know there's going to be a happy ending eventually...

kainee likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That doesn't help me much, and ROTJ is my favorite of the SW films.

The last half of ROTS still leaves me going, "God ****ing dammit, Anakin, you could have saved yourself a lot of pain and 23 years in that damn suit if you would take .2 nanoseconds to use your brain right now." And of course he doesn't.

kainee likes this.
  16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Skywalker males don't think with their brains :D

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    ROTS-It is the finale of everything. We find out how the Clone Wars end, how Anakin fell, how the Jedi were destroyed, how Padme died, how Dooku died, how Palpatine became Emperor, how the Separtist leaders died etc. We knew the end result but not how we got there. The Novelization helped too.
    Hayden was perfect as Anakin in this.

whostheBossk, SlashMan, Lee_ and 2 others like this.
  18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    ROTS.

I mean, I love AOTC to death as well and every time I watch it, I always wonder "how can I possibly like ROTS more than this movie?" but then as soon as I pop in ROTS, I think "oh yeah, that's why."

I love all of the PT films, but ROTS is the most emotionally impactful for me. It's a very raw and painful film to watch and I've always liked media that has that kind of brutal honesty.

That's not to say it doesn't have its issues; all of them do (TPM has Jar Jar's battle antics, AOTC has the droid factory, ROTS has the Grievous fight). But, in general, ROTS is my favorite simply because it's the last one and thus it gets to unleash basically everything that was built up in the previous two films.

Alienware and kainee like this.
  19. STARKILLER365

STARKILLER365 Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2012
    Mine is ROTS because the whole story goes about what happens in this one.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Phantom Menace. Not only is my favourite prequel film, but it's also my favourite of the saga, alongside A New Hope.

Both movies are, in my opinion, what Star Wars is all about: adventure, exploration, action, fun, myth, legend, etc...

21. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    THIS!

TPM is the most self contained of the movies. This hurts the entire SAGA in the long run true, especially the PT, BUT as a self contained movie it's great (with horrible flaws true...but with superb redeeming features.)

Seriously, I could never get the moaning and groaning. Criticizing is good, but screams of childhood rape were way, way over blown. Just goes to show the entitled morass of humanity today.

Not the biggest fan of ANH though, IMO it is the weakest of the Saga, mostly due to lack of Jedi action and utter crap lightsaber duel.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Revenge of the Sith
    Attack of the Clones
    The Phantom Menace

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Fortunately I haven't found any "horrible flaws" or ways where it had "hurt" the entire saga. ;)

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Attack of the Clones, because here I am most interested in the characters and their plights, the action scenes are incredibly fun, and the visuals appropriately fantastical. And I love the shifting moods of the film, the shades of noir and wistful fairy tale love and bitter snapshots of imperfect reality. Not only my favorite prequel, but possibly my favorite Star Wars film, and definitely the episode where I most appreciate Lucas's direction.

25. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I never understood the problems many had with the with Sifo-Dyas mystery. AOTC deliveres all information we need. The army is a product of the Sith and the movie makes that clear in the end. I don't think we need to know everything in detail, because that takes away all room for speculation and interpretation.
    Life is uncertainty. There is no omniscience in life. Why do we need omniscience in a movie? Omniscience destroys imagination and ultimately creativity. I prefer to see AOTC' mystery my way - within the conditions the movies gives.

My ranking would be ROTS > AOTC > TPM. AOTC used to be last on my list but I enjoy it a lot by now. It has that certain ambivalence - a mixture of melancholy, signs of a dying society and system and saying good-bye...but at the same time there is still enough fun and excitement to make you feel good. I also agree with ezekiel22x about Lucas' best directing being AOTC (Spielberg once said the same). The movie suffers to most from editing, imo.
    However, ROTS is still my favourite because it's just "the most emotionally powerful of all six" (Boston Globe). At least for me.