main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your Favorite Prequel Movie and Why.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by El_Machete12, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    I love them all, all 6. But TPM feels like an ugly puppy no one wants to adopt. I STILL say TPM has been unfairly maligned over the years. The ones doing most of the beat down were not even true fans, just internet hack writers following the herd and trying to make themselves look hip and cool by trashing something so popular and getting hits for their websites, (Chud.com, anyone?).
    As for the bullet points;,
    • Midichlorians ARE NOT, NOT NOT the Force, but mere messengers of it. I never contradicts ANYTHING in OT.
    • Jake Loyld is not a terrible kid actor- that monkier will and shall always belong to Eddie Furlong of Terminator 2.... yeesh... That kid is awful.
    • CPO being built by Anakin is kinda cool- he was Luke's older "brother" of sorts leading him to the adventures.
    If I had my druthers and I had been asked, I would have made Anakin 16, (that way he's the same actor through all 3) an incredible pilot that is hired by the Jedis to get them behind enemy lines....
    but I refuse to complain about my own thoughts and dwell on "he should have done it this way/that way..." and instead enjoy what we have... George made those movies how he wanted, despite their flaws, I respect and admire anyone who does their own thing... if we all could only be so lucky. All of the crybabies with the Phantom Edit versions can take a flying leap. I recommend they find a story that doesn't upset them as much...
    I have no use for declaring this one is better than that one.. or OT vs PT. Dumb. Enjoy or GTFO.

2. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    This is one of those scenes that would have been nice to see in the film. Probably would have helped a lot of people in terms of the love story (Padmé talks about her feelings in regard to Anakin) without spending too much time on it with the family scenes. I'm also sure the Homestead at night would have been a beautiful location with competent lightning - reminiscent of Luke and 3PO in ANH.3PO's line is also quite funny yet accurate, isn't it? :)

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Cryogenic like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I like Star Wars: The Clone Wars the best because I haven't seen it yet, and obviously it will be very good.

4. Firmus Jagdon

Nov 7, 2013
    I don't think that's true. Lucas never gave much a hoot what anyone said before so I don't think it factored in there... but it did factoring in his reasons for selling it. He made an excellent point, "Why continue to make movies when people tell you what an awful person you are..." that crap takes it toll and perusing any message board over these last 14 years and you will see some nasty, pathetic remarks aimed at his children as well... give me a break, nerds. If a film doesn't work, accept it and move on. Don't call him names and wish him dead....

5. Firmus Jagdon

Nov 7, 2013

it looks fantastic on Bluray.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Those are such beautiful and inspiring lines from Threepio -- a bit like Jar Jar's guarded moment of introspection with Padme/Amidala in Palpatine's quarters in TPM right before Palpatine bursts in. Thanks for adding that extract.

That was a little bit of sandbagging from George, wasn't it? Nine months after that comment: hey, presto, another trilogy!

I can well imagine that all the negativity and fulmination did get to him, though. And there have been some people who've had the nerve to say, "Well, everything you've done in the last fifteen years sucks, but you OWE us more Star Wars!" Yeah, really?

I wish I had it. It looks like a remarkable improvement over the DVD; and that DVD was pretty damn good when it came out.

Love the new colour treatment, too.

At the moment, I make do with said DVD, and a heavily-compressed (HD) version from a TV broadcast. The latter looks really cool on my phone (Super AMOLED touchscreen)!

I actually do sometimes put Star Wars on, on my phone, when lying in bed. It's a pretty cool way to jump in and out of the movies. And it saves on the heating bills (if I'm lying there, I can just pull the sheets over me and be pretty snug; if I'm up, it's harder to resist the winter chill).

Star Wars works on many different scales. Nothing beats the silver screen treatment, but other viewing methods have their advantages.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Erm... no. Not with that teal filter and DNR. The original colour timing seen on the DVD and HD broadcast is much better and not distracting.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  8. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Definitely agree. The color timing is heavily messed up now, and makes the entire film look unnaturally darker and less clear. You can see where it his most on the Twi'lek in the background.

DVD
    [​IMG]

BD
    [​IMG]

9. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Teal Twi'leks do not concern me, Admiral.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Unfortunately it's not the Twi'lek, it's the whole movie. Even 'Star Wars: Frames', where Lucas selected his favourites, doesn't have the teal filter.

11. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Don't mention that book! I can't afford it ... yet.

But I have seen an "unboxing" video on YouTube, naturally. ;)

The video I've seen is very helpful as the guy literally flicks through every page in order: prequels and then originals.

You what irks me about the book(s)? It's fabulous, but ... no Alderaan. Sorry, I mean, no nightmare scene. The most picturesque and crucial scene in AOTC is completely missing.

And I've counted all the page-flips to make sure none were missed or stuck together. I came out with exactly 59 four-image spreads for each movie, which comes to precisely 1,416 images -- the exact amount of "frames" stated to be in the two books (or six books if you have the ultra-expensive, limited-run collector's edition).

I wouldn't personally care if the AOTC images in the book have a teal cast or not. I am more interested to see precisely what each images looks like, though, and how much DNR each displays. For that, I really need the book, or books, in my hands, and then I'll be able to scrutinize properly. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer to find out.

Obviously, the Blu-ray transfer issue goes beyond non-speaking characters with strange colour tones. I'm still not certain why it should trouble me, though. When I have the Blu-ray and am able to watch the complete film in that manner, I'll judge accordingly. From what I've seen of still shots and little clips in fan trailers and whatnot, however, the teal cast gives the picture an even more dream-like quality. I sense I'll end up growing accustomed to it.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I couldn't. Another issue with AotC is the scene swaps, which completely ignore the score and end up breaking it. I like to think it's all a mess up on their part and not a director's choice.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, the scene swaps are distracting. Additionally, to me, the color thing doesn't really bother me for most of the movie, except during the Kamino scenes. it really changes those scenes. It doesn't look anymore like everything "seems made of pure light" (to quote the script) like it's supposed to.

14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

Well, I'll evaluate in time, but I appreciate your perspectives, guys. Small changes can make a big difference to one's impression of a thing -- for both good and ill.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    OTOH, it's Star Wars in hi def! It looks awesome. Mostly.

16. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    To answer the OP: ROTS is far and away my fave PT film. For many reasons, but especially for every second of Ewan McGregor's performance and in particular, the Obi-Anakin duel...I have watched that duel SO many times, but I don't ever seem to get tired of it!

17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If only I could answer The Clone Wars (movie + series) to this question.

But since I can't, I'll go with AOTC. I hated Anakin the least in this one and I loved Obi-Wan the most. Saruman had a curved handle red lightsaber, Yoda can do flips, Padme is still a strong woman, and Clone Troopers creating perimeters around survivors is so wizard! Plus it had a kid version of an iconic villain that wasn't annoying.

18. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I like your Obi-Wan avatar, too, Pensivia. I never consciously noticed that Obi clutches his mane of hair at the end of the crash landing sequence, while he's seated in another cockpit chair clutching his beard after his disastrous confrontation with Anakin on Mustafar.

Good recommendation! That should be on a DVD cover or something. You make the film sound weirdly jovial. I think AOTC is the hardest one to pin down in a lot of respects, so I get a kick out of a silly "Greatest Hits" approach.

TX-20 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  19. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    I like the way you think, Cryogenic ... now we need to see these two shots side by side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I see your Obi-Wan hair/face-palm pictures and I raise you a, a, a...

...actually, I'm not sure what I raise you, but try these on for size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note how much darker Obi-Wan's robes are in the second image.

I mean, the OT excelled at this with Luke, with him appearing in progressively darker garments in each of the movies, but the PT offers a rather intriguing example here with Luke's mentor -- the same man (even the immaculate conditioned hair remains intact), yet different, between movies, between different portions of the same movie.

Just love how Obi-Wan tends to both the husband and the wife in different ways in these shots: a Jedi nursemaid. There is warmth, there is devotion, there is care in both.

And look how Lucas uses hair in contrast: Anakin and Padme both have messy hair, their faces away from camera, while Obi-Wan's is neatly swept in a dependable parting and we can see his avuncular face. Excellent character detailing.

Also check out the blue and green lights in the background of the birth scene. There is a little glimmer of baby blue light behind Obi-Wan in the airtram picture (near his elbow region). Even the purples and greens are super-subtly included.

And that only scratches the surface.

Love this saga.

21. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    My favorite is ROTS, no doubt. It's such a tragic movie, and yet hopeful at the same time. Loved Sidious' arc, Obi-Wan's.... it's just an amazing movie imo. So emotional, and it gave me what i had hoped i would get to see way before the PT movies were made.

The other two change places depending on my mood. At times #2 is TPM, but then i watch AOTC and find myself enjoying it tremendously.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ROTS is also the SW film I've viewed the most, followed by ANH.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Now, we need those shots from the deleted scene on the IH, when Kenobi & Skywalker exchanged baseball signals.

Just sayin.
    :)

24. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    "You don't know the power of this thread! I must obey my nerd-like impulses..." :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Its as if a million of voices cried out, saying: "Awesome!"
    :p

/#Nerd salutes.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Pensivia like this.