Your Favorite Score of 2000

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthSpade, Mar 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Blur Force Ghost

star 4

Definitely Gladiator. The film and soundtrack both rocked!
  2. Zaphod Beeblebrox Jedi Master

star 4
  3. Lieutenant Piett Jedi Master

star 4
    "CT,HD" sticks with me the most (probably because I've seen it five times!). Especially the desert sequence -- a kind of western/eastern fusion (as was noted above), as if the desert there depicted was all deserts everywhere.

Other than that, my favorite score of 2000 was with "Shelley", a local waitress . . . ;)
  4. Demosthenes_Locke Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Pick up a copy of "Enemy at the Gates". The last 3 tracks are incredible.
  5. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Was EatG good? I want to see it.
  6. bright sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I enjoyed Enemy at the Gates immensely. However, I think the score is very unfitting for the movie. It is loud and bombastic while not needed. I'm sure Horner's composition standing alone is quite enjoyable, but I felt very distracted by it during the movie. One of the weaker parts of the movie IMHO.
  7. Demosthenes_Locke Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Interesting. I felt that the soundtrack added immensly to the movie.

The moments between Vassily and Tania were given great strength by the incredible theme that Horner has created.

The score definitly borrows from other Horner masterpieces BUT that's a good thing. Horner is one of the greatest and his score's help elevate the movies to epic levels.

I can't recommend this soundtrack enough. The main theme that is used heavily during scenes with Vassily and Tania is a very delicate and beautifull theme. Definitly brings out the more sensitive qualities of the characters.

The theme played for Major Koenig is right out of Star Trek II. It helps establish the dark side of Ed Harris's character from the get go.

Later!
  8. Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Gladiator. I would say EattG, but its a 2001 movie and doesn't count.
  9. JonathonVandergriff Jedi Knight

star 1
    If you have to pick a top score for 2000, by no means should Williams be a favorite. I'm sorry, but coming from a composer, his score for The Patriot was just downright lame. The best score for 2000 would have to be Traffic. If you absolutely HAVE to, you could say that Gladiator had a good score, but listen to the battle music more closely: Hans Zimmer stole "Mars the God of War" by Gustav Holst. Zimmer is running out of steem and this is probably going to be his last halfway decent score. If you really want substance and style, with outstanding musicmanship, look at Traffic. It was by Danny Elfman...no other words are necessary!
  10. klingklang Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't know if you're thinking of a different film, but Cliff Martinez did the score to Traffic. Another ex-member of an 80s LA band, so the confusion is possible :)
  11. Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA

star 6
    I'd say Virgin Suicides soundtrack (by Air) and then Michael Kamen's X-Men score.
  12. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "If you have to pick a top score for 2000, by no means should Williams be a favorite. I'm sorry, but coming from a composer, his score for The Patriot was just downright lame."

If someone wants to pick The Patriot as his/her favorite score, then he/she should. Remember, this is *favorite* score, not *best* score. As long as it's a score released in 2000, then the opinion is valid.

And I personally thought his score for the film was great, though definitely not as great as his scores for the Star Wars Trilogy, E.T, Schindler's List, etc.

And klingklang is right, Cliff Martinez scored Traffic, not Danny Elfman.
  13. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    After listening to the score of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on its own, there is no doubt in my mind that it is my favorite score of 2000. The mournful main theme may sound simple to most, but I found it gorgeous. Yo-Yo Ma's haunting and masterful cello solos are nothing short of beautiful. Tan Dun also adds some exciting and unique action music to the mix. My favorite track would have to be "Farewell", with its nearly urgent performance of the main theme. This score did everything that the movie did for me; it transported me to a world of beauty, excitement and sorrow.

I would rank Gladiator as a close second. Hans Zimmer's awesome battle music for the tracks "The Battle" and "The Barbarian Horde" coupled with Lisa Gerrard's new-age style best heard in "Now We Are Free" make for great listening experience.
  14. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    My top 2000 favs are Patriot and Gladiator. :) They're both really cool, and I think I'll put Patriot on the first place, simply because I love JW... :p :D
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.