main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Favorite Vocalists

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Zelda_Skywalker, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zelda_Skywalker

Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    post who, why and what band they're with.
    yes. you can have more than one.
    and DO NOT BASH EACH OTHER!

Davey Havok, AFI
    I don't care if you hate him, to me he has talent. read the sig. it mainly explains it all. He has a vocie of velvet. Gently strong, but if manipulated deep and harsh.
    I mean, he has a really deep voice, but he talks soft, sings soft, and it has this great sound to it. then at times, he can twist his voice into other pitches, like screams, and make it sound harsh and dark. He can make his voice blend with the music, but stand out.

Ville Valo, HIM
    I just like the way he sounds when he sings. He originally has a REALLY REALLY REALLY deep voice when he talks, but when he sings, you'd never guess it. So, I just like the way he sings, sounds good to me.

2. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    Anthony Kiedis
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Under the Bridge.

That is all.

3. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    that is agreeable. to a certain extent...

4. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I agree on Ville Valo. I must've heard AFI sometime, but I don't think I'd recognize them if I heard them on the radio.

I like gravelly male voices such as Bryan Adams, Bruce Springsteen, Juanes, Eros Ramazzotti and John Mellencamp. They may not be great vocalists by a long shot, but they're my faves.

Female voices I like are often somewhat operatic, such as Amy Lee from Evanescence and the former Nightwish singer Tarja Turunen. Although I also like Annie Lennox who has both a slightly gravelly and at the same time a very angelic voice.

5. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) for having such a great wail and also a glorious sofness in his voice

Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam), brilliant. Can do anger and angst without sounding shouty.

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Jeff Buckley probably has the most lyrical voice I have ever heard.

In terms of agility, Stevie Wonder is often cited as majorly influential, if not the best.

Fiona Apple has an intense method of phrasing, and an extremely soulful voice.

7. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    Hmm, I like Damien Rice, Chris Cornell (Audioslave) and Chester from Linkin Park. Although I agree that Ville Valo is good as well.

8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Jason Mendonca - Akercocke

He can go from a dulcet baritone (And a damn good one) to some of the best Death metal growls I've ever heard, and decent screams within a second. That's just cool :p

Sharon den Adel - Within Temptation

Like Kate Bush with Metal behind her :p

Alan Marsh - Tokyo Blade

Silly choice, but he's the best damn vocalist I've ever worked with :p

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Jeff Buckley:
    IMO, he's got the definitive singing voice: powerful, ranged, beautiful. It's just perfect.

Matt Bellamy:
    His voice is very similar to Buckleys. It has further range but I don't think it's as powerful.

Cristina Scabbia:
    The best female voice I've heard. I hear a lot of people going on about Tarja Turnen from Nightwish and that woman from Within Temptation, but I find Scabbia (and Lacuna Coil) to be much better.

10. DurronFan

DurronFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2005
    I think Tarja Turunen is overrated but that's just my opinion.

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    The vocalists that always jump to my mind are Ryan Clark of Demon Hunter and Between the Buried and Me's Tommy Giles Rogers Jr. Both have incredible range to the degree that it sounds like two different people doing their songs.

12. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    Paul Bono Hewson
    U2

I always say a Tenner is the best Rock singer. Bono grew up listening to his fathers favorite music: Opera. He has a voice that can produce any note to perfection. He has a deep voice, but can sing with a certain softness.

In the studio he is amazing a great voice can do anything. But how about live? Live Bono can produce vocals better than on the album. He can produce his great voice, on a nightly basis and then some.

13. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Based on the real quality of the voice: Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, Freddie Mercury, and Roy Orbison.

14. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Up for Zelda.

15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Hmm, off the top of my head, I'll mention Annie Lennox, Ella Fitzgerald, Freddie Mercury, and Roy Orbison. I love Michael Stipe for his unique sound and sense of timing. Art Garfunkel for "Bridge Over Troubled Water" alone. I'm sure I've forgotten a few more I'd rank up there.

16. Jaden-Skywalker

Jaden-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 13, 2004
    Zack de la Rocha - Rage Against The Machine.

Pioneer of rap-rock.

17. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Ronnie James Dio
    Tim "The Ripper" Owens
    Ian Gillan

Three of the best Rock vocalists ever.

18. SongofDreams

SongofDreams Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2006
    Emmy Rossum.

Because she sang since shildhood in every style you can imagen and has been wonderfull at them all.

19. Zelda_Skywalker

Sep 4, 2005
    I've come to like a few more now that I know more about them.

Sonny Moore(From First to Last)
    This dude has never had any vocal lessons or anything, and has a everlasting condition with his throat. I mean his voice is a little hoarse sounding and everything, but his voice is great to me.

James Hart(18 Visions)
    He has a very distinct voice. He puts out his voice a bit like Davey Havok, but you can immediately tell them apart. Hart is one of my top favorites.

Patrck Stump(Fall Out Boy)
    Now I really don't like what I hear on CDs. Really I don't. Watching things for behind the scenes and behind stage and things I have found that this guy has a incredibly large vocal range, but Why he doesn't use alot of it-I have no flippin idea. But he's actually really good if he'd use what he has.

ZXH

20. GreatTarzan

GreatTarzan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Wow, two of my tops have already been posted.

Tarja Turunen is simply amazing from my point of view as well. Excellent voice.

And, I don't believe it Cobra, you know of Within Temptation. Nice. :D

Sharon den Adel's voice is beautiful. As is the music. Very unique voice, I love it.

21. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Andrea Bocelli. He has an amazing voice. It?s probably because he sings in Italian - I don?t know the words, so I can focus on listening to him sing. :)

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's a bit hard when you don't understand Italian, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.