main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your favourite LUCASARTS created EU Star Wars characters

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Good Guys

"Don't worry, Rosh, you didn't. I've been offended by professionals."

Without a single doubt, my favorite good guy would have to be the mercenary-turned-Jedi-Trainer, Kyle Katarn. His cunning abilities in taking out entire Imperial Bases on his own is always very inspiring, and he has got to be the most developed character in the Star Wars EU Games. I mean, who would've thought that the cynical, bitter mercenary from Dark Forces would grow out to become the good-natured but sarcastic Jedi Trainer as seen in Jedi Knight:Jedi Academy. I can remember that I wasn't too wild about Jedi Academy when I first bought it, but the moment that Kyle Katarn popped up to save the day... well, I really got into the game at that point. I was almost giddy at that point to see Katarn back in action. Once again, I would jump straight into a death-defying Star Wars adventure with none other than my favorite Star Wars character right by side, teaching my character into the ways of the Force.

Plus, did I mention that Dark Forces actually pulled me into the Star Wars universe? I had heard about it, I had played the Rebel Assault game(which had already fascinated me... I mean, the game had freakin' movies in it, taken straight from the movies. How awesome was that?!), but it was the lone wolf of Kyle Katarn that really brought me into Star Wars. I really got more intrigued into the story with that odd man in the black suit(Vader) and his white robots(Stormtroopers).

I'm a a fan of the Expanded Universe, and I would say that Kyle Katarn is most likely my favorite character in the entire Star Wars mythos. And with his recent line in an actual novel, who knows what the future might hold for him...

Honorable mentions

Nym - Starfighter was a game that I bought when I was interested in a new SW game. Although I found the first cutscenes to be a bit bland, things really got into high gear when the Feeorin appeared. It started out mysterious when Vana was suddenly held at gunpoint. The delivery of "Now I'll kill you" when Vana turned around had me laughing out loud. I already liked the character at that point. Plus, the Havoc is most likely the coolest EU ship ever. I still have the futile hope that Jedi Starfighter gets ported to the PC one day.

Emkay - The original droid-with-a-murderous-attitude. This character was always very inspiring during dogfights.

HK-47 - Well, a character that is able to make me laugh out loud, even tho' he tells horrible stories deserves an honorable mention in my book.

Bastila Shan - The Anakin Skywalker of her era. When her bio was first posted at Lucasarts, I had high hopes for this character, and I was not dissapointed at all.

Bad Guys

"And yet, as I enter the Darkness... I am nothing."

Although the Star Wars games have always had various interesting new characters, it never really had villains that I really thought "Boy, that's a good villain". Moff Seedron was more of a voice than a threat, the mercenary captain in Starfighter felt like an afterthought... and although characters like Jerec, General Mohc and Admiral Zaarin were interesting characters, I never really thought about them when I was thinking of 'excellent villains'. I never thought Star Wars had a real memorable villain.

That all recently changed with Knights of the Old Republic and its main villain Darth Malak. Just like with Bastila, I had high hopes for Malak, and they were fulfilled. You might actually ponder why, because he really seems to be a cliche villain. Spouting eeeeeevil one-liners every few moments, laughing like a bad guy... no real motivation, except for the Dark Side, perhaps.

And in a way, that's what I really like about him. It's the cliche lines that really made me smile whenever Malak would appear on the screen. The delivery of his lines really suit his character. With lines like "Wipe this pathetic planet from the face of the Galaxyyyyy...", "You are strong, child <dramatic pause> but I will break you"(which is,

2. Evil-Yoda

Evil-Yoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2003
    HK-47 and Bastilla.

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Favorite Good Guy:Revan, he was a Jedi deifinatly in the discipline of Qui-Gon Jinn and at times what Anakin would have been had he stayed on the light.

Favorite Bad Guy:Revan, He was as intimidating as Vader without the cool armor and sounding like James Earl Jones.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

4. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I think the Sith troopers in KOTOR deserve and honorable mention, just becuase their armor is really cool looking, and well designed.

Forcebewitya!

5. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I like Canderous (the Mandalorian in Knight of the Old Republic). His war stories were kind of fun to listen to and I made him a pretty bad A warrior as well. I always used him when I wanted some real firepower in the fight. ;)

6. Ethawyn

Ethawyn Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2004
    My favorite good guy is undoubtably Kyle Katarn,followed closely by Revan (I know he/she isn't necissarily good, but in the EU records the good history will go down). I was wondering by the way, what book does kyle have a line in? Badguys are definately the two counter parts for my good guys, Jerec and Malak. I love them, even though their both flat a cliche.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm pretty partial towards Jan Ors.

8. Spark-Moon

Spark-Moon Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    I maybe in the minority, but I really like Carth from KOTOR. >_>
    He reminds me too much of myself sometimes. n_n;

I also like Mission Vao and Zaalbar from KOTOR as well, but not as much as Carth. ^.^

As for bad guys, hmmm...
    Darth Malak is kinda cool. =D

9. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I was wondering by the way, what book does kyle have a line in?

That would be "The Unifying Force", the final book in the New Jedi Order saga.

10. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I maybe in the minority, but I really like Carth from KOTOR. >_>

I think so...becuase frankly Carth PISSES ME OFF! gosh he never shuts up about betrayal and on and on etc...I always talk to him and try to be nice but EVERY time he gets all pissed like he wants to kill me.

Forcebewitya!

11. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I thought the dark troopers were one of the best inventions. Kyle Katarn is too similar to Han and Dash Rendar for my liking. THen he became a force wuss.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Kyle Katarn is too similar to Han and Dash Rendar for my liking.

Kyle was "invented" before Dash.

13. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I think Carth kicks ass. He's a nice diversion from your typical shallow alpha-male stereotype character. Even Canderous isn't an alpha-male stereotype, despite being a bad-ass. Carth actually has feelings, a trait that seems to be looked down upon in men. He had a family and a life that was taken from him by the Sith. If you were in his situation, you'd be just as pissy, if not more.

But Carth is a good, nice guy at heart. And he slings a mean pistol. Bendak's blaster + Cassus Fett's pistol + Carth = pwn3d.

14. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm not able to pick just one of each...

Good guys:

. Juhani: Helping her go from darkness to light and build up her self-confidence was something I enjoyed a lot. Also, she presented an alternative to Carth's romance to my female character... Which is a good thing, since I really couldn't bring myself to like that guy. [face_plain] I kept having flashbacks of the sissy Paladin guy you can hook up with on BG2. *twitch*
    Anyway, I also liked her being the first lesbian character on a SW game. I don't go that way, but I definitly support all progress regarding that issue. :)

. Jan Ors: I like her ever since I bought and played Dark Forces. Unlike Kyle, I don't find her annoying, and I love those goggles she seems to always have on. :D

Bad Guys:

. HK-47: great character with the funniest lines I'd read in a good while. [face_laugh] I'd like to see some more of him in another game, book or whatever else.

. Komari Vosa: loved her double-wield lightsaber-style and her looks were just beyond awesome. :cool:

15. RevanStar

RevanStar Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2004
    Revan of course. I like his story. I haven't played darkside on kotor yet but I think the lightside was a very good star wars story. Especially if you redeem Bastilla by telling her that you love her. I'm going to play darkside and see how that plays out though.

Bastilla could be a pain in the ass but at the end when she says she loves you with all her heart redeemed her.

Malak is a great villian. I just love the way he says "Wipe this pathetic planet off the face of the galaxy." He is everything you wished Darth Maul would have been and the best baddy since Vader.

HK-47 is hilarious. I never laughed so hard at a video game before in my life. "Stupid meat bag!" LMAO

And Big Z....because I always wanted to have a Wookie on my side like Solo. Pimpin.

16. Liah_Kast

Liah_Kast Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2003
    Good guy: Bastilla (HOTTIE), Jolee and Kyle Katarn.

Bad guy: Hk-47 (Funniest starwars character ever)
    and Darth Malak.

17. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I change my mind, Juhani is now my favourite character. She's a bastion of modern thinking and acceptance. :)

18. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Favourite Good Character: Either Dash Rendar or Kyle Katarn. mainly Dash as SOTE was my first SW game I owned and his style is pretty good.

Favourite Evil character: I don't really have one. few standout like Xizor but you hardly see him. Probably in order:General Malcor Brashin from Force Commander, Moff Seerdon in Rogue Squadron N64 or the Viraxo family in X-Wing Alliance.

on a side note: some sites say the Outrider was from Dark Forces series. Is that from misinformation or is it really in DF?

19. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Dash's ship? That's SOTE, not DF, as far as I know. I don't even remember ship being in Dark Forces at all. Admittedly, it's been a long time since I played it, though.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That means that those sites were wrong. I had a feeling something wasn't right when I read it.

21. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Good: Kyle Katarn, Carth, Jolee Bindo ("I'm old! I'm allowed to be enigmatic!"), Gavyn Sykes, Wade Vox

Evil: HK-47, Grand General Brashin, Borvo the Hutt, Jerec, Tavion

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > I don't even remember ship being in Dark Forces at all.

Yeah, Jan drops you off & picks you up in the Moldy Crow.

[image=http://revolution.3-cities.com/~rhoads/Picts-Logos-etc/DFkatshp.GIF]

23. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Thank you, Captain Obvious, I remembered that one. :p

24. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    HK47, the droid is a freaking Psychopath. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.