Your feelings on Luke as a Jedi?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Klethron, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Darth_Klethron Jedi Knight

I just watched the OT again and I must say they are awesome films. My only gripe is Luke becomming a Jedi. In the PT they thought Anakin to be to old to begin the training yet let him join. In the OT luke is like what 19? 20? Doesn't have hlf the skill of his father, he gets a 2 day crash cource from Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi, then Ben dies and he basically goes to hook up with a out of his mind crazy Yoda on Dagaboh. After taking a short "Force for Dummies" course from Yoda he leaves. The next time we see him hook up with Yoda, Yoda dies and tells Luke he doesn't need anymore training.

What are everyones thought on this?
  2. undergroundrar Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would imagine Luke spent more time with Obi-Wan and Yoda than was shown on screen. While his training wasn't as extensive as most Jedi, he probably recieved a fair amount.

Luke was also highly attuned with the force. Concepts probably came more naturally to him than other padawan's. Consider who he's the offspring of, too.

He survived his duel with Vader in ESB, and managed to beat him in ROTJ, turn him back to the light side, thus defeating the Emperor. I think he deserves some credit for accomplishing all of that.

The only gripe I have with Luke's Jedi skills would be how he wields a saber. But since ROTJ was made in 83, I'll let it slip.
  3. SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Knight

star 1
    He was the only one who could defeat Vader. They had no choice but to train him. ( Ya I know, there was Leia. But I doubt she'd want to be trained*
  4. DarthTenebrous Jedi Padawan

It's one of those situations where Yoda and Ben couldn't really get around. They had to train Luke as best as possible to fulfill the prophecy of Anakin bringing balance to the force. With only Obi-wan and Yoda around to face Vader and the Emperor they could not do it. Luke was their muscle. After Ben and Yoda "dying", they became more powerful as elements of the force and were able to aid Luke in his final duel with Vader and Emperor Palpatine (just as Ben helped Luke "use the force" when he destroyed the first Death Star.

If in ANH, Ben could have just told Luke, "Obi-wan Kenobi...nope never heard of him.", the Sith would still control the galaxy, we would have never had all this senseless bloodshed...I mean really, was it that bad with everyone enslaved by the Empire?
  5. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Considering that he's a child prodigy of the "Chosen One", I don't have a problem with his quick progression.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.