Lit Your First EU Experience

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HipsterChewie, Jan 12, 2013.

1. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    My first SW novel was Heir to the Empire.
    My dad thought I would never finish it before the end of the week because I was such a slow reader back then.
    He challenged me and I won. I read Heir to the Empire in just three days.
    By the way, I was still very young back then, so I could not read as fast as I can now.

The first SW comic I read was an issue of Crimson Empire 2.
    Since then, I have become a fan the Crimson Empire series and I have begun collecting SW comics.

Nice thread! I have been wondering about that question too... :)
    HipsterChewie likes this.
  2. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
  3. Darth_Foo Force Ghost

star 4
    I was around 9 when HTTE came out and my older bros were gaga about it but I was told I was too young to read it. In 8th grade I got my first SW EU: Tales of the Bounty Hunters and The New Rebellion. I know TNR gets some flack but I still love it and have been hooked since '96.
    Sinrebirth and HipsterChewie like this.
  4. jedisor Jedi Master

Galaxy of Fear, from the elementary school library. My first adult novel was a book-on-tape of Champions of the Force.
  5. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    Probably either Dark Forces II or the X-wing game. I really wish they would remake X-wing and TIE Fighter for modern systems.
    Zorrixor likes this.
  6. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Marvel Star Wars issue 86, even got published on the day I was born :D
    [IMG]
    Last edited by Gorefiend, Jan 13, 2013
  7. Lugija Force Ghost

star 4
    [IMG][IMG][IMG]
    First book, comic and game. They were so wizard!

What really made me love the EU was when I got that Darth Maul comic into my hands and it featured Hath Monchar. From The Shadow Hunter. It even referenced that novel. So these stories are all interconnected. For 11-year old me that raised so many possibilities. Very few novels were translated into Finnish, so I had to wait until I learned English enough and found out you could order books from other side of the Atlantic before really getting my hands dirty with this galaxy. That meant that I was unaware of lots of canon.

When I was 13 and role-played Grievous before his sanhillazation, I tried to play him with the clues I had about his past from Luceno's Visual Dictionary to RotS and Stover's novelization. There were references to Kalee-Huk-war, him using the mask and almost dying in the shuttle crash which was probably arranged by Dooku. From these hints I made a history for him, and years later found out that the canon version was completely different. So I had problems with Grievous' backstory before it was cool. And I'm keeping my own version.
    HipsterChewie and _Catherine_ like this.
  8. Jedi_Glover Jedi Master

star 1
    My first adult EU book that I read was Edge of Victory I: Conquest, and I was in 4th or 5th grade. I found it in a collection of books my dad was given from his friend. Fell in love with Anakin Solo and and then started getting all of the NJO, and I have not looked back since. I am younger than most people on here.
  9. Riven_JTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think my first EU experience was X-Wing for PC. The first book I got was probably Heir to the Empire. My first comic wasn't until recently.
    Last edited by Riven_JTAC, Jan 13, 2013
  10. Manisphere Force Ghost

star 5
  11. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    What is this? I've never seen it before.
  12. krtmd Force Ghost

star 4
    It was a radio play that you could listen to on LP. You can listen to it on youtube. Here's part one.
  13. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Okay. Thank you
  14. GrandMasterKatarn Force Ghost

star 4
    My first EU experience, and first for Star Wars over all, was Dark Forces (the game), then it was the Glove of Darth Vader series, then The Thrawn Trilogy, then the OT
  15. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    My first Young Adult novel was probably the Glove of Darth Vader series
    General Immodet likes this.
  16. HipsterChewie Jedi Padawan

Thanks! :) I haven't read the Crimson Empire series, is it good?
  17. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    My first "EU book"

[IMG]

( of course we didn't call it EU then )
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Jan 13, 2013
    Darth_Foo likes this.
  18. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    I never would have known it at the time but Christmas 1979 brought me this:

[IMG]

I also started in on the Marvel Comics somewhere in the teens, but my collection was sparse and very incomplete.
  19. COMPNOR Force Ghost

star 2
    Is Meco's Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk considered EU?
  20. Boba Frett Force Ghost

star 4
    I read the Thrawn Trilogy as they were released from 1991-1993, and the year between each book just KILLED me.
    SiouxFan and General Immodet like this.
  21. JackG Force Ghost

star 4
    My first novel was Champions of the Force, which I picked up a second-hand book store in 2000.
    My first comic was probably TotJ but the first comic I bought myself and didn't borrow from the library was Clone Wars Volume 9: Endgame.
    My first video game was Star Wars Demolition. :D
  22. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Now we're listing first games? Well, let me see... we didn't have an SNES, so we missed out on the Super Star Wars series. However, we had a Sega CD and Rebel Assault.
  23. Darth_Kiryan Force Ghost

star 4
    I think it was siege of bakura......i think. it was about 15 years ago, in school.
  24. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    Well...probably Saturday morning cartoons watching the Droids and Ewoks. The Great Heep was probably my first exposure, although it was not called EU at the time.

First novel was initial release of HttE. It was a big expense back then to buy that hard cover. I kind of lucked into the EU as at the time I did not realize there was not a bunch of novels at the time. Soon after I bought the initial release of Dark Empire also finding out essentially by accident the comics were coming out. Information was harder to come by at the time. From that point I scoured used book stores to find copies of SotME, the Han Solo and Lando books.
  25. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I liked it very much! Personnaly, I think Crimson Empire 2: Council of Blood is one of the best SW comics ever published, although I do not think many people will agree. It mainly focused on the Imperial Ruling Council after Palpatine's and Carnor Jax' death. The council was manipulated by Nom Anor (a mysterious Yuuzhan Vong agent), Black Sun, Grappa the Hutt... Politics!
    Ultimately, a council member (Carivus) declares himself Emperor and goes mad...

Crimson Empire 1 and Crimson Empire 3 were also good, but not as good as Crimson Empire 2.

In order to read Crimson Empire, you will have to read Dark Empire first though...
    Well, you do not have to, but you will understand the story of CE better.

My favourite comics are Republic, Dark Times, Dark Empire and Crimson Empire.
    They all were epic and most of them were very dark as well...

It is very nice to read what others have to say about their first EU experience!
    I like this thread very much!
    HipsterChewie likes this.