Your first impressions of the Fan Film forum - are non-SW films allowed? (Please Read)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DVeditor, Dec 16, 2005.

?

Your first impressions of the Fan Film forum - are non-SW films allowed? (Please Read)

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
Yes, this forum is open to fan films of all types. 69 vote(s) 58.5%
No, this forum is for Star Wars films only. 3 vote(s) 2.5%
Sort of, but Star Wars films are the main focus. 44 vote(s) 37.3%
I'm not sure - I just got here and it's hard to tell. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other 2 vote(s) 1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    As many of you may already know, there will be two Sci-Fi forums opening up soon here on the JC boards. There will be a book/literature forum and a TV/film forum hopefully opening up within the next month or so. DarthSapient (head admin) asked that we make sure Fan Films is letting people know that "fan film" does in fact apply to other things besides Star Wars. So my question to you is do you get the impression that any film that is fan-based work is allowed here in the forum just so it sticks to the TOS?
  2. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    I voted ALL.

This forum may have started as exclusively Star Wars. And I'm sure that the majority of it's new users come in here because of Star Wars. But it has evolved to encompass all that is fun and interesting about special FX. And, considering the state of films nowadays, Star Wars no longer has the monopoly on the most incredible FX out there.

To pigeon hole this forum would be a detriment to us all.

btw: This is also the reason that the database I maintain is open to all fan films, regardless of genre.
  3. beafet Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Fan Films - Here you can discuss all the wonderful fan films available to you in TheForce.Net Theater, the fan films world at large and the exciting craft of do-it-yourself filmmaking.

[face_plain]
  4. Covax Jedi Master

star 4
    Sticking soley to Star Wars would kill off dialouge pretty fast. Should acknowledge that we?re:
    Primarily - Star Wars Fan Films and related processes, i.e. saber choreo, compositing.
    Secondly - Fan Films in General
    Thirdly - Amateur/Indy films in General - the freeer the better.
  5. HamillianActor Jedi Knight

star 2
  6. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I concur as well - I've always been under the understanding that this forum is for just about anything "fan" related and also filmmaking in general. Perhaps the Fan Film mods should discuss a revision of the text that describes the forum as a way to make sure people understand what we're about in here? I'm just tossing out ideas here - thanks for the votes so far y'all.
  7. JediPastor Jedi Master

star 1
    I also agree with covax. It's always cool to learn from different sources. Just as long as people remember that these forums have a definite leaning toward Star Wars. After all, the website is: boards.THEFORCE.NET
  8. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
    Definitely it includes all. The more variety there is the better this forum becomes.
  9. ASOULAN Jedi Knight

star 2
    Agree with all of the above

One thing to add...somthing Covax touched upon.
    Though we are Star-Wars-fanfilm-centric around here, I really think that independant and original sci-fi should be encouraged as well.

The vets here have alot to teach the noobs, techniques and skills that have utility far beyond just fanfilms. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that most of us see our endgame not being the greatest SW fanfilm ever, rather, honing our skills and talents of FX, storytelling, cinematography and music in the quest to create our own sci-fi universes to rival GLs and JCs achievements. (okay...so maybe Cameron's and Lucas' PWNership is not in jeopardy, but still...:)

Fanfilms are a great way to learn the ropes, and the SW universe is fertile ground. I believe that we should do more to encourage our members to take the next step into new worlds of their own creation. Though always cool, the galaxy does not revolve around lightsaber duels...( Blasphemy you say!!!)
  10. Covax Jedi Master

star 4
    SW fan films are a great... oh let's say 'second stage indy film'... if we assume that you and your buddies w/ a camera and 3 props was your first 'serious' film. It?s a good thing to assign yourself if you want to build personal experience, since there are so many requirements in plot, visuals and pacing. SW is a good start because ?everything? (effects, costumes, action) has been remade by amateurs at some point (with differing levels of quality) so you know it?s possible with enough determination. You have a ready-made audience, SW is practically universal, and you can compare your talents to peers rather than just ?the big boys?.

After working in someone else?s sandbox though it?s a good idea to get your own dreams onscreen at the next stage.
  11. Ellbobin Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, you look at the banner, at see Star wars so you first off think its all starw ars but if you look through the site then you see all is alowed.
  12. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    *ahem*

With all due respect to Covax... Doesn't anyone agree with me? :_|
  13. Darth_Abdax Jedi Master

star 3
    I put other, because with the amount of help that can be gathered here and the incredible resources that can be found, I don't think it should be entirely fanfilm. It should encompass all amateur filmmaking.
  14. SilverFox0440 Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree. Yet that would be wishful thinking and not an accurate representation of what goes on. What bothers me is that for most people, fanfilms = fx. This place is not supportive of people who post non-fanfilms (indie films), as has been observed time and time again (see any post by Chad, or me, even), with the notable exception of the Dastolis.
  15. VaporTrail Force Ghost

star 6
    It seems to me that the glossy effects films are the ones that prompt fanfilms, and thusly would the fans engage in figuring out effects on their own.

I mean, it's not like we're going to see a Good Will Hunting fanfilm anytime soon.
  16. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
    Very true, this site really just encourages the whole action film genre a bit more than others its true, but I don't think we discriminate in any way. I do agree with you as well Durb. lol
  17. Covax Jedi Master

star 4
    Technicaly I agree with you since I voted 'all'. :p

I mean? that?s why Moderators are given some leeway on how to handle the off-topic posts. If I made a post called ?major plot concerns with the Matrix Trilogy?, say, the debates it inspires may be intellectually interesting but doesn?t really help directly with making films unless someone steers the conversation in that direction. If any topic should be broached it should be to post a notice, solve a problem or declare a challenge involving filming.

Reminds me of the Simpson episode where we flash back to Krusty?s childhood:
    Man: Rabbi, should I buy a Chrysler?
    Krustofsky: Eh, couldn't you rephrase that as a, as an ethical question?
    Man: Um... Is it right to buy a Chrysler?
    rustofsky: Oh, yes! For great is the car with power steering and dynaflow suspension!

18. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
  19. Daniel_L Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think people are mainly dragged here because of the name "Jedi Council" and lately many because of ep3, Personally seeing Ep 2
    back then I never found this site (the boards) but the actual TF.n fan films.com and downloading them, I have been doing for +- 3 years.

20. ASOULAN Jedi Knight

star 2
    Durb needs a hug......someone give the man a hug.....

Oh, alright...just don't tell anyone I did this...

[:D]
  21. PadawanNick Force Ghost

star 4
    Once someone is here for a period of time, they'll realize that this is not a "star wars only" place, but as a first impression, it's star wars period

"TheForce.net"
    "Jedi Council"
    The Star Wars dominated banner
    Lightsaber thread and challanges and contests all over the place
    Thread after thread of "Star Wars EP IIIVMM: Return of the Sith Fighting Jedi In the Forest" announcements

After someone has been around for a while, they start to notice that there's a couple non-SW pics burried in the banner,
    and that Dastoli's come by to show a new original film from time to time
    and that there are Matrix and superhero fan films here too.

To get the first impression away from star wars, you'll need to EMPHISIZE the othere stuff first.
    Also find and host piles of (good) non-SW fan films.

Of course, the challenge will be, not every movie company is as .... forgiving .... as Lucas is of people messin' with their copyrights.

Have fun.
  22. DMZBADGER Jedi Knight

star 2
    That was well said Nick.....It is true...We are "very" lucky to have Mr. Lucas to give us an opportunity to run rampant through his stories..and to inject our own ideas.

More studios should follow in Lucas's footsteps...allow the fans to re-live and invest new time and energy into the franchise. Do not kill the fan base or you kill your sales whether it is dvds, toys, books...whatever.

I would keep this site open to anyone interested in films in general.
  23. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    That's an interesting point that Covax makes. But, I'd point out that if a thread started "interesting plot points about Star Wars EpIII", that thread would get shut down just as quickly.

24. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
    There is that possibility.
  25. braxtanFILM Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sorry, fellas--but JUST Star Wars is BORING.

I hate to sound mean, but I'm getting pretty sick of SW films these days. In fact, if it has "Star Wars" anywhere in the title, I'm not going to watch it. The same applies to titles including, but not limited to "Sith", "Jedi", "Ewok", "Lightsaber", or "Imperial".

We've been beat to death with these things. I came to this forum because of Star Wars fan films, but through my experience here, I have met many talented filmmakers, and seen many great films that have nothing to do with Star Wars. I can appreciate Star Wars fan films for basically putting fan films where they are today, but I like to see variety.

If you break up the boards into seperate sections, all you're doing is diluting the talent pool. Indie filmmakers have long congregated on these boards to share work, meet other filmmakers, ask questions, and learn new things.

Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.