Your first impressions of the Fan Film forum - are non-SW films allowed? (Please Read)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DVeditor, Dec 16, 2005.

?

Your first impressions of the Fan Film forum - are non-SW films allowed? (Please Read)

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
Yes, this forum is open to fan films of all types. 69 vote(s) 58.5%
No, this forum is for Star Wars films only. 3 vote(s) 2.5%
Sort of, but Star Wars films are the main focus. 44 vote(s) 37.3%
I'm not sure - I just got here and it's hard to tell. 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other 2 vote(s) 1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    Break up the boards?!? Holy crap, that would be a catastrophy!!

Man, we're talking, that would be the death of this community. I hope no one is seriously considering that.

I can see why Star Wars is what brought this place together as it is. It's the most wildly popular scifi series ever (even more so than Star Trek!) But, as things do, it has evolved. And I, as well as others, welcome that evolution. All of us have learned all sorts of new things off of each other. And we have made seom really good contacts both as professionals and as volunteers.

If Star Wars is the commonality that brought us together than so be it. But there is room for everyone in the long run.

Just don't start posting threads about country music. I gotta draw the line somewhere. :D
  2. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    We are not breaking up the boards. However the new Sci-Fi and Fantasy forum (TV/Film) will allow everything related to virtually any film/TV show that falls in the Sci-Fi parameters. So what Covax said above:
    ...would fit perfectly in there. And he's spot on about it not really pertaining to this forum exactly.

I really appreciate the discussion in here so far y'all. This is what I was looking for and now perhaps we can start looking at the future of this forum as a whole and new ways to make sure people know from the get-go that they can talk about more than just Star Wars in here. :)

3. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    I still think that the Star Wars theme is appropriate. I wouldn't blatently drop that in favor of say, "Fan Films Forum". Reason being, is like I said before... Like it or not, Star Wars is the single MOST popular SciFi series ever. The best? Debatable. Most popular? Absolutely, hands down.

If that is what piques a person's interest initially. If that is what makes them come here and consider attempting the art for themselves... Then so be it. Just like the rest of us, it will be a stepping stone that opens them up to things they never imagined.

As far as the other board you're talking about, which is really just scifi discussion in general... I think that's a great idea too. And I'm sure that many people here could benefit from those discussions, at least from a storytelling standpoint. It's just not appropriate here, per se.
  4. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I completely agree with you Durb - I just meant that it was the head admin's suggestion to make sure people knew what they were welcome to talk about in here. I'm very much a fan of just about anything Star Wars so I agree that keeping it in the core of this place (so to speak) is a good thing. Like I said the head admin just wanted to make sure we were doing our part as mods to let people know they are welcome to discuss other aspects of filmmaking as well. (Which of course they will find out if they read the stickies and spend a few days in here. :p)
  5. Covax Jedi Master

star 4
    Yea... I've seen the other boards around here... not much else interests me.

This board tends to discuss things with more concrete goals.
  6. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    And that's how we want to keep it. ;)
  7. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
  8. braxtanFILM Jedi Master

star 4
    I like SW (original trilogy, pre-special edition), and everyone as filmmakers owe it a lot.

I just wanted to add to durb's comment about it being the most popular Sci-fi saga ever. It's not just the most popular sci-fi ever. They're the most popular MOVIES ever.

9. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    This is an extremely subjective argument and one I disagree with rather greatly. It's kind of irrelevant except that it also leads to me disagreeing that this site -- or at least the forum -- should be primarily Star Wars.

I would love to see this place become a Mecca for internet filmmaking at large, not just fan films and definitely not just Star Wars fan films. While I understand TF.N's stance on keeping it fan films, and with an emphasis on Star Wars in particular, I'd like to see us start branching out more clearly, so people feel comfortable showing their stuff here. As it is, almost everything people post starts "I know this isn't Star Wars, but..." and it makes me wonder how much there is that people here aren't posting just because it's "not Star Wars" or a fan film, and how many people don't post here at all for that reason.

M. Scott
  10. Covax Jedi Master

star 4
    So would I, but these forms and the site they belong to are intrinsically bound to Star Wars. Let?s be honest, meeting people interested in Star Wars is not only what attracts folks? it?s paying for the space with every banner ad.

Short online films are still relatively obscure, and while I?d like to see a mecca? TFN is not going to be it; at most it?s a small oasis. It?ll be quite some time before the TFN Famfilm crowd tries to strike out on their own to create something comparable to iFilm.com or Cine-courts.com.

So far Cliffordhoeft.com is doing a good job all by his lonesome, but he deosn't host stuff.
  11. Red-2 Jedi Master

star 4
    two forums? Thats too bad.
  12. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
    interesting points covax.
  13. braxtanFILM Jedi Master

star 4
    People don't post on Ifilm like they do here. I come here to show work, get a feel for what is good or bad about it, and to learn more. Most often I find myself coming here to find out how to do a special effect, or sound effect.
  14. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    i wish it were more focused on star wars, but there's such a diversity in the films that star wars is just barely the focus.
  15. Mircat Jedi Knight

star 3
    I wouldn't say it's not focused on Star Wars. From what I can see 95.umm2% of the Release threads are Star Wars Fan films.

The fact that there are films posted here that have nothing to do with Star Wars or Fan anything and are received well should open people's eyes that this is not a Star Wars only film board. As for the posts that get locked that start off with "This is not Star Wars related . . " are those that link to some off the wall clip that has nothing to do with them at all. Ya know, like the cute things Aunt Millie e-mails ya that's embedded in 3 forwards.

- The Cat

P.S. The opinions expressed are not that of any real cat, or mircat for that matter.
  16. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    Sometimes even those clips are well recieved and the threads not locked. As long as there is a direct correlation how it can related to fan films, like, there is some new effect being used, or that it was just particularly impressive, it will do fine.

Straight-out independant films, are generally NOT very well accepted here. However, the mods simply look the other way. As long as the thread started for it is started by the author of the film, and can discuss it. And as long as the film is up to a reasonable standard. I think this trend should continue.
    But, at the same time, I don't think this forum should be used to start showcasing every indy film about a "boy and his yak and their quest for water."

It think what it all comes down to, and it seems to have gone mostly unmentioned... This forum is more about special FX than it is about filmmaking. 90% of the threads are questions or discussions about how to do this and that. Most of the n00bs arrive here looking for ways to produce FX for their upcoming blockbuster fan film. And discussions rarely take place on "the proper way to illustrate ironic tragedy using a supporting character". (I think you get my point.)

Whether you think that Star Wars is the most popular set of films of all time or not, no one will disagree that it was the cornerstone of innovatibe FX for many MANY years. (If the new movies failed to uphold this, that can't be helped.)

So don't be surprised when there are litterally 100's of indy filmmaking sites. But, the one that gets the most traffic is the one that is based on Star Wars and is primarily FX discussions. To lose that association now would be counterproductive, and frankly, just plain silly.
  17. Mircat Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, I do see your point about no yaks . . I mean they smell like rotting beef carcasses, and the point about this board concentrating on the FX side of film making. But I don't see the lockage you're talking about; like Dice McMahon and the latest X3I.

- The Cat
  18. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    Generally speaking, what I'm referring to is when some random member posts some random link to some random film and goes, "hey check this out." In no way is it related to this community or fan films other than some random member having found it interesting.

Those are the type of things that get locked right away.

However, if, say, Chad Peter, or Fig, comes in and says, "Hey, we've got some stuff to show." There is a genuine benefit to the community in that the people involved are there to talk about it, and there is some educational purpose to what is being shown (what indy filmmaking is all about, at it's core, other than the entertainment factor. It's a learning experience that we all share.)

It is for this reason that the mods generally tend to let those sorts of things through. And it should be as such. What benefits the community is good for everyone.
  19. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
  20. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I completely agree with everything Dorkman and Durb said. As much as I personally love just about anything special effects related I think that films like the ones mentioned in Durb's last post are extremely good for this community and would never want to see those go. :)

21. Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'd actually like to see "Boy and His Yak and Their Quest for Water." With a title like that, it can't be all that bad... ;)
  22. ASOULAN Jedi Knight

star 2
    Though I feel that my opinions are in sync with the DorkMeister on this (though I prefer indie films of the sci-fi persuasion) We have to accept the fact that the mods really don't have alot of say in the way that the forums evolve. Yes they can lock threads and try to direct things a bit, but in reality it all comes down to what the general community here wants to talk about. And that seems to be Star Wars FX for the most part. That and non-constructive criticism of peoples story ideas.

There are a number of us here that try to raise awareness of some of the more fundimental and importaint aspects of filmaking (Storytelling, cinematography, lighting, sound, music, etc) We've had some great discussions on these subjects and I've learned alot from all of you guys. But...where are these threads now? Buried under a mountain of "rate my lightsabers" / "how do I do... ?" / "looking for CG artists" / "slam on swimmerman" threads. That seems to be where the interest lies, and as long as that's the case the forum's focus will remain as just that. Just check out all of the threads that can boast 50 or more replies. They define what this forum is really about.

I've only been here about 6 months or so, but I can already see why most of the old-timers around here are so cranky when replying to certain topics. It's deja-vu all over again and never seems to grow beyond the first steps into somthing that helps us all to refine our skills and evolve to somthing greater.

Sorry this kind of turned into an off-topic rant, back to my original thoughts...

The content of this forum will always be defined by the community's postings and the response to those postings. Best of luck to the mods if they do choose to expand the forums scope and raise it to a higher level. You have your work cut out for you.

[face_peace]

23. G-Unit Jedi Master

star 4
  24. Med_21B Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with this 100%, Dorkman. I see this place becoming more and more a universal place to converse not only about fan films, not even just special FX, but filmmaking in general. I came here back in 2001 and visited regularly so I could learn how to make a fan film. Then over the past 4 years I've branched out. I want to start making my own films; films that don't have lightsabers, force powers or Jedi. An original story with original characters. And I think that's great.

If you start your filmmaking career through Star Wars fan films, I think that's just awesome. They are a good foundation for growing into a love for something greater. Even if you are making a fan film for the soul purpose of making a tribute to Star Wars, you learn something about writing, cameras and editing along the way.

And I can personally thank Fanfilms.com for sparking my interest in fan films, screenwriting, editing and Indie filmmaking. So, in short I think we should encourage the sharing and discussion of other fan films and original films.

_Max
  25. NeoSeith Jedi Knight

star 1
    ::Throws out script for Good Will Hunting prequel::

speaking from my own experience, i came here out of an intrest to see if it could really be done. Lightsabers and all. i had no idea that this sort of community existed or that the "power" so to speak was right in my hands the whole time. but when i learned of you guys, and girls, read a few tutorials and started producing my first special effects. This made my dream of producing the book (more like saga) i've been writing for years possible because of the need for special effects. and it would seem that i would want to share that with the people that helped make it possible. So, in that, i am glad that TFN (even if they dont host it) and the people a part of this forum are so accepting of other genres. Also, after hanging around here for a while and working on some projects, i finally decided to persue film-making as a livlihood.

on a side note, you guys (people, insert noun) rock.

EDIT: i agree with dorkman, it would be great to see this place become a haven for film makers.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.