Your first soundtrack-time to go down memory lane

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by DarthBoba, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    So, I watched Speed earlier today, and at the end realized that this was the first movie I watched where I particularly noticed that movie soundtracks weren't regular music.

My thought process, from what I recall was: "Speed has orchestra music. So did Jurassic Park. Both of those are cool. Therefore movie soundtracks are cool."

And 15 years later, I have 95 soundtracks from movies and television. :p

So, what first got you into movie soundtracks? Was it a film? A general liking of classical music and a realization that movie-use classical music is both easily found and frequently published? What?
  2. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Aladdin and The Empire Strikes Back. I've shifted toward classical music since beginning my music education.
  3. General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I got the Star Wars soundtrack (two albums!) for my birthday in 1977. I still own it, but it's pretty worn out. Probably my most-played record ever. I loved the liner notes, and even though they were only one album-sized page (front & back), I learned a lot about the symphony orchestra and classical music/scoring.

Of course that means I grew up with some of those funky non-chronological edits and different track titles. "Binary Sunset" was on the track titled "The Princess Appears".

I know that most people have a soft spot for their first anything, but in this case, my first soundtrack happened to be from the greatest film score of all time.
  4. andy1044 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Howard Shore, Lord of the Rings, "The Battle of Pelannor Fields"
  5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ghostbusters. I wore that thing OUT. TWICE.

Yes, there are only two score tracks on that album, so it may not be QUITE what this thread is about, but be honest - that Ray Parker Jr. song is every bit as iconic and thematic as the Skywalker March.
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Like GK, mine was the original Star Wars LP. That was all I had for years, then I added a few other SW film tracks.
  7. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I'm a clichéd film music newbie - my first was the ANH:SE :rolleyes:
    I think The Lost World was the first one after the trilogy. Yes, not JP, I got that years later.
  8. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think my first Soundtrack was either Apollo 13 or The Lion King, I don't remember which. However, it would be Star Wars that would inspire me to look into movie soundtracks the most.
  9. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Whilst I've always loved film music, and my brother had a cheesy vinyl album of ANH music, the first full soundtrack I remember getting (on cassette) was Batman (1989). I think it was then that I realised you could actually buy the music you hear in films, and so I went and got all the ones I liked. Although my favourite ever purchase was The Neverending Story. I took a day trip to London and spent £100 on movie soundtracks. Most were Star Trek, but The Neverending Story was my masterpiece that day.
  10. emilsson Force Ghost

star 6
    The very first soundtrack that made an impression was Oliver and Company back in 1989 and it made me understand that movies could be a source of music.

But my love of orchestral soundtracks began when I saw ANH in 1994 and purchased a CD with SW music performed by the Utah Symphony Orchestra.
  11. -Commander_Thigh- Jedi Master

star 4
    Like TwiLekJedi, my first was the ANH:SE 2-disc soundtrack. I was 8 years old when my dad bought it for me... it is completely worn out now and skips a lot.

12. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
  13. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Let's see. I know that I've liked scores from an early age. It probably had to do with both "Superman: The Movie" and "Star Wars-Episode IV: A New Hope". I would sing the themes from Superman from time to time, especially when I would play with my action figure. So that's probably what started it. The first one that I purchased was "Superman" in 1991, followed by "Terminator 2", a month or so later. Though my mom had bought "Lethal Weapon 2" in 1990, for the songs by George Harrison and the Beach Boys. I listened to the soundtrack and the whole score that was the remainder. I eventually inherited the tape. So that was pretty much my beginning.
  14. CaptSparrow Jedi Master

star 4
    The first movie when I realized that movie music was more than just noise was Curse of the Black Pearl. That music was exciting, and slowly I began to listen more to the music in the movies and branched out discovering new composers, eg. Jerry Goldsmith, John Debney, Alfred Newman and so on. I began listening to Golden Age scores and became immersed in the wonderful world of film music. Now I consider CotBP noise, but noise that's fun to listen to.
  15. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    I can't remember. I always had Disney soundtracks, so I can't remember which came first. I think the first I ever bought was TPM.
  16. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Heh...the TPM OST. I'm pretty sure that was the first piece of Star Wars merchandise I ever bought myself.

If only I knew what I getting back into. :p
  17. Bacon164 Force Ghost

star 7
    Umm, technically all of the Disney renaissance films of the early 90s but the first movie I saw where the music of the film was as much of a highlight as the rest of it was TPM. in fact, I distinctly remember humming Duel of the Fates as I walked out of the theater.
  18. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Did I mention that the other week I had lunch with the guy that wrote it :D
  19. CaptSparrow Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, gloat about it!

Really, that must've been cool to sit in and a recording and talk with him. But then again it's the guy who wrote Gladiator set in the 1700s.
  20. Destined_Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    My first was Titanic. TPM Ultimate Edition was the score that sparked my interest in the entire genre of music, though.
  21. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    Wait now I remember. My first was Back to the Future. I still have the tape somewhere.
  22. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    My first may have been Jaws, which my father bought me when we were at Universal Studios. I may have had Star Wars first, more because it was Star Wars than because it was film music. Not sure. Somewhere I became not a film music fan but a John Williams fan, and starting accumulating first anthologies -- Spielberg/Williams Collaboration, Williams on Williams, stuff like that. The score I bought that I mark as the beginning of my film music loverdom was Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian. Now, roughly a thousand albums later, my bank account occasionally regrets that decision, but my ears never do.
  23. elemental_fantasy Jedi Master

star 4
    Jurassic Park. I remember my friends listening to music, and I remember telling them about the jurassic park score, they all looked at me like, huh? I think I was 12 at the time.
    To this day, my friends still look at me strange when they see most of my CD collection is motion picture scores. As a filmmaker, I guess they kinda expect and accept it from me. But yeah, J.P.
  24. X-Factor Jedi Knight

star 1
    What a coincidence! My first soundtrack was also from Jurassic Park. Before I got really into Star Wars I was a huge JP fan and I would watch the first two JP movies all the time, even though I was very young and probably shouldn't have been watching movies about man-eating dinosaurs.:p But even at a young age I always had an appreciation for film music, wether it'd be from JP, the Indy films or Star Wars. I was a fan of John William's work before I even knew who he was. I eventually recieved the soundtrack as a gift when I was twelve years old.
  25. NeoBlisseyX Jedi Padawan

My first soundtrack was the 1996 re-release of the OST for Disney's 1988 film Oliver & Company (scroll down to "Walt Disney 60890-2" for the exact version).

Here's the cover for the version I am referring to:
    [image=http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/images/cd/large/Oliver_and_Company_Disney60890.jpg]

Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.