main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Your fondest CT memories?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Chancellor Yoda, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The CT has been part of many star wars fans lives since they were kids and naturally they carry a lot of nostalgia for people. Despite growing up in the years the PT was going on, I do have some fond memories of the CT. One such memory was the time my parents got the original trilogy on VHS at a local library. The unaltered A New Hope was the first star wars I fully saw. I remembered the first time I saw the stormtroopers I was amazed and when I saw Darth Vader for the first time my mind was blown away. While I haven't seen them in awhile, I'm grateful my first full star wars experience was the unaltered original trilogy.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Watching this trailer before the OT movies

Dinos4Ever and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Nothing nostalgic for me, I just have a lot of fun watching the original trilogy (especially the first Star Wars film) and enjoy them as entertaining, wonderful stories.

I really do not remember anything about seeing the films theatrically (except the theater and opening scene where I saw the first Star Wars in 1977.)

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  4. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Watching the SE release of the OT in theatres as a kid.

The old hasbro Luke ROTJ Lightsaber. My SW colouring book.

The Pizza Hut/Taco Bell and KFC toys. I think I still have my Death Star and Han Solo in carbonite puzzles somewhere...

5. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Watching the OT in the 90's as a preschooler-1stgrader and watching the ESB duel over and over again. Still is one of my favorite fights. I like the background.

Playing Super Star Wars and Super Star Wars ROTJ on the Super Nintendo.

I remember seeing the special edition of Star Wars ESB and thought it was cool and was excited.
    ANH use to bore me, but I like it now.

Playing Star Wars with other kids and my brother. When winter came-imagine Hoth.

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dressing up like Leia.

Seeing the "I am your father" moment for the first time.

The hype in my middle school when ROTJ was released. "You get to see Vader without his mask!"

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    being a kid (sigh).

8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The fondest memory I take from them is my dad taking me to the cinema to see them. That was a real treat. Plus back then we weren't able to watch the films again on video within a short space of time (unless you went to the cinema again), so the kind of mysticism and recollections of it grew in your own mind as you had to rely on your own memories of the film. Playing with the OT vehicles and figures too is another fond memory from the time.

9. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    I can't say I have many CT memories (born years too late), but my earliest one was watch ESB in kindergarten for the first time, and having half the boys shout "Darth Vader is Luke's father!" even before the tape was in the recorder. I didn't recognise the significance of the spoiler then, but I now seethe about it to this day. The irony was that the loudest boy was called Ben (You couldn't tell Luke but can't shut up everywhere else?!).

10. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    - Being really sick and watching A New Hope recorded off TV while bundled up on the couch.
    - "For those who remember - for those who will never forget..."
    - Watching them at my grandma's every time I had a sleepover there
    - Buying my own VHS copies of the OT for the first time
    - My dad giving me a Darth Vader action figure with a removable helmet that he had as a kid (I lost it - it is one of my greatest guilts)

11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  12. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Han, Leia, Chewie and Threepio's escape from Hoth.

13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Remember watching the my Grandpa's Special Editions for the first time.

Playing Lego Star Wars: The Original Trilogy on the computer then later The Complete Saga on my Nintendo DS when it came out.

14. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I think seeing the Special Edition shot of Millennium Falcon departing Mos Eisley in a commercial on my uncle's TV and thinking (I have to see the sequel to Episode III !).
    Death of Obi Wan ... not as emotional as Qui-Gon's but still shocking .
    The destruction of the first dreaded Death Star .
    The Force Ghost Obi Wan and Yoda on Dagobah .
    The reappearance of Boba Fett in Slave I and thinking 'Oh Oh'.
    Yoda's death.
    'From a certain point of view ' scene.
    Home One scenes and Emperor's throne room scenes and Anakin's redemption.
    The amazing victory celebration .

And so on ...

Jo

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have tons of wonderful memories from watching the OT as a kid, but one stands out.
    When I was about nine, I had the chickenpox. A lot of my friends and young relatives had had it just weeks before, so I knew what to expect - a week or so of absolute suckiness.
    I had Return of the Jedi and A New Hope on VHS, so I watched those religiously for the first couple of days, and played a lot with my few Star Wars action figures (Obi-Wan, Darth Vader and Chewbacca). My oldest sister (who is thirteen years older than me) worked at a toy store at the time, and one day when the chickenpox were really awful, my mom came home from work - and she told me she'd stopped by my sister's job to pick up a present for me. I opened the wrapping to find The Empire Strikes Back on VHS, as well as no less than three action figures: Artoo, Han and Luke.
    By this time, I had seen ANH and ROTJ about a thousand times each, but I had only see TESB once. So all of a sudden I had hours and hours more Star Wars fun ahead of me. It helped me get through the itchiest time of my life, and even made the chickenpox something of a good memory.

Needless to say, my mom is awesome :)

16. catlover43

catlover43 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2014
    Going to see TESB when it originally came out (I was 9) and also ROTJ when I was 12
    Dressing up as Bespin Princess Leia for Halloween

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Realising that one of my Man with the Sad Eyes' best mates is the regal caped elder that captured my attention in 2002. :)

18. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Constantly listening to Star Wars book/tape combos when I was a young boy.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I was 8 when ANH came out, so I don't remember a ton, but I remember that the Cantina scene was my favorite part of that movie. I also remember loving the bounty hunters in the second movie. I remember that my dad bought tickets to Return of the Jedi in advance, and yet, when the movie opened, we had to wait in line down to the end of the plaza just to get in the theater! Good thing it wasn't raining. :) I also remember that, in 1978, we went to the drive-in to see a re-release of Star Wars, and the line was so long that we just came home without seeing it. :( My father was never known for patience, but it likely would have been sold out by the time it was our turn in line anyway.

Many of my other fondest memories revolve around the collectibles - trying to get all of the ANH and ESB action figures - which I did - I remember buying that special cantina set that could only be bought at Sears, and included the blue Snaggletooth that was only available through that set, I remember collecting all of the proofs of purchase to send away for Boba Fett, I remember trying to collect all of the trading cards for the 3 movies (I finally filled in my few remaining gaps just a few years ago!) and trading some of the Star Wars card with my friend to try and get more. For some reason, I wasn't initially able to get many of the red series.

Ah, memories.

20. LongHairedAussieGuy

LongHairedAussieGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    I remember seeing a double feature of TESB and ROTJ in the cinema in 1983. After this screening my mother brought me a whole stack of action figures and coloring books. Changed my life. Going to the cinema with my mother to see these is one of my fondest memories

thejeditraitor and AndyLGR like this.
  21. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Another memory I have of the CT is when my dad bought me that Lego X-wing ( the one with Yoda's hut). I remember building it, and then reenacting the Luke flying his ship while watching ESB.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't grow up with official SW Lego (the company hadn't produced any yet). So I made my own Lego SW models - for reenacting the Star Destroyer and Tantive IV scene. They tended to be very colourful.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm part of the VHS generation, so Star Wars was actually kind of dead by the time I was old enough to really get into it. One of my fonder memories is that I actually thought it was some pretty obscure thing that no one knew or cared about aside from me.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Let's see, I recall very vaguely the first time I saw ANH in 82. I remember watching it on VHS, only it was the old school kind.

[​IMG]

The old top loaders. My uncle had one and we had rent-to-own one, but that didn't work out and we didn't get our own until 1987. Anyway, though the memories are jumbled, I recall liking what I saw. Though it was only a small part of the film. I was later told that I didn't want to watch it, but I was convinced to. I can recall going to the drive-in to see ROTJ. Though I cannot recall if it was in 83 or 84, I do remember going to see it and staying awake for the whole thing. Then seeing it again in 85 at the dollar theater. I remember having Bespin Luke and I think TESB Han, but I could be wrong and it was ANH Han. Unfortunately, I broke the head off of one and lost the other. I do remember at Christmas of 84 having got Hoth Gear Luke, Greedo, Bib Fortuna, a Gammorean guard, Darth Vader and a Scout Trooper. Months later, I wound up breaking the head off Luke and getting ROTJ Luke and Bespin Lando from a yard sale. I remember the shirts that we got for Christmas. I wound up getting a Gammorean shirt.

I can recall getting up on the Saturday morning when TESB premiered on HBO and coming in right when Luke spots Boba and is shot at. Then watching the film later that night. I can also recall getting up for ROTJ, coming in right before the sail barge assault and watching it again that night. Both times I then larped using plastic swords and other items. I can remember sitting down on Christmas in 1995, to watch the trilogy all day on VHS, since it was on USA Network. Then there was the SE's. Going to see ANH on a Sunday afternoon and thinking it was weird watching a movie that I had seen at home for years and years. I had never gone to a re-release like that before once it had made it to the home market and cable. It was strange to do so. It didn't feel as weird for the other films.

25. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Probably seeing ESB again in late 1984 on a giant panoramic screen (the 3 OT movies were screened for a Star Wars retrospective). 4 years without seeing the movie...
    I had the most fantastic cinematic experience of my life. I forgot everything else during 2 hours.

The hype and anticipation just before ROTJ's release in 1983 was great too. That's around this time I really became fascinated and deeply interested in Star Wars.

sith_rhino and Chancellor Yoda like this.