main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Game of the Year 2010

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    My favorites have to be Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, and Call of Duty Black Ops. People haven't really mentioned that latter probably because COD has become such mainstream series, but I thoroughly enjoyed the game.

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    For me, Red Dead Redemption is GOTY.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, it was so immersive and just kept on giving, the characters were fantastic and I wish John Marston was my dad!

Well, almost... :p

3. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    My List is:

Mass Effect 2
    Halo:Reach
    Red Dead Redemption
    Call Of Duty; Black Ops

4. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Just got done with IGN's list and they named Mass Effect 2 GOTY, and gave it best story. I think they missed the mark on a few games. Best atmosphere, story, soundtrack and GOTY should have gone to Red Dead. I know, most people are probably going to disagree but the atmosphere, story and soundtrack are three of the things that made Red Dead as great as it was, with John Marston being one of the best protagonists we've ever gotten to play as, as gamers.

Not only that, but they named Need for Speed best competitive online game? What? Did they not play Halo: Reach? :confused:

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Did you play Need for Speed?

6. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Best of 2010 (Gamespot Names Best of 2010).

Red Dead Redemption was GOTY for PS3 and XBox 360 and overall.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 was GOTY for Wii.

Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty was GOTY for PC.

7. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  8. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes and it doesn't have the best competitive online play.

9. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    1. Mass Effect 2 - absolutely wonderful and full of awesomesauce. Hands down the best game of the year.
    2. Dragon Age - for being one of two games I have beaten twice. (I'm not big on replaying games to be honest - I haven't even won ME2 again, though that's mostly because my computer can't handle the Vanguard.)
    3. Final Fantasy XIII - I don't care what people say, this was a lovely lovely game. Love the graphics.
    4. World of Warcraft - although I am still not sure if this is a good thing or not. :oops:

10. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008
    Not sure. Best story and atmosphere - either Mass Effect or Heavy Rain. Best competitive online will have to got to Battlefield Bad Company 2. Although, for sheer spectacle and insanity, it's looking like Vanquish will become My GOTY 2010, and I only got it on Christmas day.

11. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    The Force Unleashed II!!!

12. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    Played 9 games that came out last year. And I rank them thusly:

1. Red Dead Redemption
    2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
    3. Back to the Future - the Game - Episode 1: It's About Time
    4. Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4
    5. Epic Mickey
    6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
    7. Mega Man 10
    8. Metroid Other M
    9. Gran Turismo 5

About Red Dead Redemption:
    It's a western! I love westerns! One of the most engrossing gaming experiences I've ever had. Fantastic game.

About Super Mario Galaxy 2:
    I loved the fir Mario Galaxy and this is more of the same, but even better.

About BttF Episode 1:
    While it is very short, it captures the feel and fun of the movies very well. I played through several sections of the game with a huge grin on my face and can't wait for the other episodes.

About Lego Harry Potter:I know a lot of people are apparently tiring of the Lego game formula, but I'm not there yet. The combination of Lego and Harry Potter just works and this game is just a lot of simple fun.

About me putting Epic Mickey over DKCR:
    DKCR is absolutely a more polished and objectively better game than Epic Mickey, but I somehow enjoy playing the latter game more. The reason for that is probably just me being a huge Disney fan and more forgiving when it comes to certain problematic things such as the really bad camera.

About Mega Man 10:
    A solid game, but I liked Mega Man 9 a substantial amount more. I do hope they continue making these retro Mega Man games.

About Metroid Other M:
    While I didn't hate it, I did find it somewhat dissapointing overall. Still better than Metroid 2 and Metroid Hunters. In terms of how much I enjoyed it, I'd probably put it with Echoes in the lower half of my estimation of the Metroid canon.

And yes, I liked the story.

About Gran Turismo 5:
    I never would have played this one if my dad hadn't bought it for himself. Eh, it's a racing game and I don't care about cars at all. It's okay and I enjoy playing it for a little bit, but it's just not my type of game.

To sum up: I apparently didn't play any games this year that I completely despised. So; yay for that!

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually beaten Lego Harry Potter, Epic Mickey or DKR yet.)

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Even though it doesn't quite crack my top ten, I have to give a shout out to Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep for having my favorite villain of the year. The game is worth playing for Leonard Nimoy's vocal performance alone. He makes one kick-ass Palpatine-like antagonist.

14. SpaceMonkey10

SpaceMonkey10 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 2, 2006
    WoW: Cataclysm

Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Of the games I've played (which isn't many), they've been excellent. I actually couldn't pick a winner out of Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Football Manager 2011 or Fallout: New Vegas.

The only one I've played which was rubbish was FFXIII.

16. HairyWookiee12

HairyWookiee12 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2009
    Halo: Reach, all the way.

17. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I spent a good part of my time playing non-2010 games, but here's my favorites of what I did play:

1. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
    2. Just Cause 2
    3. Rock Band 3
    4. Angry Birds
    5. Mafia 2

SW Force Unleashed 2 was fun, but ultimately the biggest disappointment in a game I've experienced in a long time.

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Mass Effect 2, hands down. In my opinion, Commander Shepard is the greatest character in gaming.

19. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Nice. It's such an underrated game.

20. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I just cracked through it this week. If I had played it last year, it'd have definitely been on my list. I'm not sure what it is about it, but I really prefer its brand of linear sandbox romp to that of GTA4.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
  22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Heavy Rain stalking, nice, Shepard, nice.

23. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    I kind of was hoping that Halo:Reach was going to win game of the year. However, Redemption winning didn't bother me in the least bit, good game there.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Had neither ME2 or RDR come out last year, MAYBE Reach would've had a chance, and a slim one at that. But, and this is coming from a Halo fanboy, as good as Reach is, its awesomeness comes quite short to that of ME2 or RDR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.