main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Your guidance more than my patience" Anakin and Palpatine's relationship

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Blu-Bladed-Jedi, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Blu-Bladed-Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I just watched Clone Wars and thought of a good topic. After Anakin gets the mission to take Padme to Naboo he speaks to Chancellor Palpatine. Palpatine says "So your patience paid off."
    Anakin replies "Your guidance more than my patience." This made me think...how long was Palpatine teaching Anakin ways of the force. And why would he give credit to Palpatine instead of Obi-Wan. I thoguht i would put this up to stir up some discussion.

2. pink_saber_girl

pink_saber_girl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 9, 2005
    He probably meant the advice that Palpatine gave him. We realized from this line that they have retained a close friendship, but we know that none of the Jedi know that the Chancellor knows the Force. So I figure Palpatine just gave him encouraging words and general advice. Oh and compliments, cause we all know that boosting Anakin's ego is the way to get to his heart (unless you're Pamde).

3. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Jul 20, 2005
    Yes but i think there is more to it. I would love to know what type of guidance Anakin was recieving from Palpatine.

4. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Well, in the ROTS novel it is mentioned that he taught him about politics, at least he tried to - and he states that Anakin never was very interested in these "lectures". I don't think he taught him in the ways of the Force before that infamous opera scene.

It really strikes me how unassuming Anakin is in this AOTC scene (and in other scenes where he's with Palpatine). "Your guidance rather than my patience". From what we see when he's arguing with Obi-Wan an the like you would expect him to go "Oh, yes, haven't I done greatly?" or something to that effect. My feeling is that Palpatine really has managed to gain Anakin's true respect.

5. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    You have to assume that Anakin has been under the guidance of Palpatine for a couple of years judging from that scene. Alot of times, Lucas doesn't get too specific about details like that, you kinda have to figure it out yourself. I definitely think it would have been cooler if Palpatine starting playing mind games with Anakin in AOTC, so when we got to ROTS, you would see a real buildup to their relationship.

6. D_Tiburon

D_Tiburon Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2005
    I think Palpatine was a sympathetic ear for Anakin. Anakin could count on him to listen to all his whining and bitching and tell him what he wanted to hear. While he thought of Obi-Wan as his father he definitely thought more of Palpatine as a mentor.

7. Grey_Jedi08

Grey_Jedi08 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    palpatine always told anakin what he wanted to hear..palpatine praised anakins abilities..he didnt lecture him like obi wan did

8. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Jul 20, 2005
    I think the statement "your guidance more than my patience" is a key sign to Anakin failing. The fact that its palpatines guidance not his masters is a disturbing sign. If you look into the EU you see the camraderie between master and padawan in the way they speak and fight. Obi and Anakin dont have that as much and i think it is caused by Palpatines "guidance"

9. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Part of this statement is formality to the Chancellor. What are you supposed to say to the leader of the galaxy? You say, awww, nah it wasn't me, it was YOU! Anakin probably did have some guidence from Palpatine, but I wouldn't want to read much into this. Though it does prefigure his appointment to the Jedi Council.

10. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Palps let the Jedi teach Anakin how to use the force. That way, all that was left for him was to get him to embrace the darkside. But along the way he would slip little things in like this. I think he was going for more of a bonding here with this statement than anything. I also watched AOTC today and I had forgotten just how much Obi-wan chastises Anakin while Palps just sits there and feeds his ego. For someone that was so strong, Anakin sure was an insecure joker. Palps just used that to his advantage.

11. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    Well it had been explained by Anakin that Palpatine has been: "watched out for me ever since I arrived here" - ROTS.

So from the very beginning, Palps has been pally with him. However, I don't think he taught Anakin the ways of the Force, till ROTS.

Also when Anakin said "your guidance..." I think it pertains to politics such as: "as leader of the opposition, it will be very difficult for Senator Amidala to leave the Capital". This to me is probably have been taught by Palpatine, telling Anakin that Senators maybe too stubborn and need to be told what to do that's why Palpatine replies that "Senator Amidala will not refuse an Executive order".

Which then comes down to the picnic scene :"well then they should be made to"- Anakin

12. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    In that same scene, Palpatine says to Anakin that "I see you becoming the most powerful Jedi ever. Even more powerful than master Yoda." You wonder how Palpatine would even know that if he didn't know the ways of the force and why Anakin wouldn't be asking himself how Palpatine could be so sure of this. Definitely was stroking Anakin's ego. Maybe Anakin saw this type of encouragement as guidance as well as the political guidance.

13. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I always thought he said there patience.

14. Blu-Bladed-Jedi

Jul 20, 2005
    I deffinetely think Palps taught him more than just politics. Even if it may be subtle little teachings here and there. I think it would be a cool EU topic to focus on Palps and his plan and how it unfolded. In this the tales of Anakin and Palpatines relationship would be shown

15. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    I think every thing palpatine tells anakin is to further him from beliving what the Jedi say and to just listen to palpatine. So when the time is right he will listen to him about the Jedi betraying the republic and not to what Mace or Obi or any Jedi for that matter say to him.

16. Maphisto86

Maphisto86 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2005
    Palpatine had Anikan in mind as a apprentice for a long time... After Ep.1 we hear Palpatine tell Anakin that he will follow his career with great intrest. This isn't just a small "Oh you did well" pat on the head but rather a true statement. I guess whenever givewn the chance Palpatine saw Anakin and boasted about him.

I am also a follower of the idea Darth Plagues was master of Palpatine and told a young Darth Sidious that he created a child through the force with great power and potential but didn't specify whom. After seeing Darth Maul defeated by Obi-Wan he knew his Zabrak apprentice wasen't this child his master spoke of. However he found Anakin on Naboo and instantly realised his inherent power. So over the next ten years Palpatine manipulated politics throughout the galaxy to get Obi-Wan and Anakin to come to Courucant enough that he and young Skywalker could meet and form a paternal relationship. This was all done in secret of course.

Palpatine would throw comments around now and then in Anakins presence and perhaps even contact him secretly. Creepy but who knows... Eventually at least a few years prior to the Battle Of Geonosis, Chancellor Palpatine and Anakin would have formed more of a "father-son" relationship then a "mentor-student" one. The "mentor-student" relationship is definitley Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship.... which made Anakin more trusting of Palpatine because he seemed to be on his side and had more confidence in his abilities.

17. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    I think that was just to set up the relationship for episode III, but it is interesting all the points you bring up.
    Obviously Palpatine knew of the child that Darth Plagueis created. hmmmm.....perhaps he realized Anakin was that child and so decided to keep a close eye on him.
    Watch his career with great interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.