main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your help with my research is greatly appreciated!!

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Scoundrel1100, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoundrel1100

Scoundrel1100 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 28, 2004
    What's up everybody? Here's the deal: I'm doing another term paper in college in my modern material culture class, and I was wondering if any of you'd be willing to answer a few questions for me. This paper is over the various SW material collectibles (action figures, lightsabers, books, or any other set of SW collectibles). The last paper I did was for my pop culture class and it was over the SW video games for the Xbox (KotOR 1, Battlefront, and Jedi Academy). It was 26 pages long, and I got an A on it. YUH!! Anyway, here are my questions.

1. Why collect Star Wars over any other material collectible set of things? What about SW makes you want to collect its "stuff?"

2. Why do we seek to bring the SW Universe closer to our own by collecting its "stuff?"

3. What "SW stuff" do you collect, and what does it mean to you? What does your collection say about you? What themes or messages do/does your collection(s) give the ones who witness it/them?

These are just a few questions. I'm trying to get a range of thoughtful answers that go beyond, "because Star Wars stuff is cool." If you would like to say more, then please feel free. The more the better. Thank you very VERY much in advance to those who respond!! It is most appreciated!!!

Scoundrel

2. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    1. I have two favorite film series: Star Wars and Jurassic Park. Collecting the merchandise for these films is a key part of the whole experience for me. They are "event films" that, whenever a new one is released, define several months of my life. Watching movies is one of my favorite leisure activities (if not my #1 favorite), and these two series are my favorites, as I said. The Star Wars story fascinates me. I think it is very intricate and well-made. I love the way it's been structured, seeing Episodes IV-VI first then coming back and seeing all the puzzle pieces come together in I-III. I love the characters. Seeing a new episode every three years allows me, as a viewer, to have a lot of time to learn a lot about the characters and their worlds and to develop feelings for them, whether they be positive or negative. This draws me more into the movies and makes them even more fun for me.

2. I imagine part of it has to do with the inherent quality lots of people have about wanting to be able to have tangible evidence of something. To hold the characters in your hands or to have them right there on your desk may play on this desire more than watching them on a screen. I love displaying my figures, posters, and things because I love the films, and because the stuff brings back memories of when I got them, of the first time I saw each film, of the great summers I had when they were released. Additionally, lots of the toys are just plain fun. I love making my Attack of the Clones Deluxe Obi-Wan flip through the air and into action, for example. Other things, like the visual dictionaries and video games, continue to draw me into the story's universe.

3. I collect mainly 3.75" figures and Unleashed figures. I also get some posters, books, and video games, but I'm not a completist collector in any of these areas. I just get things that interest me. I also love to buy the food items with promotions for the movie on the packaging. It's all stuff I enjoy having, because I love the movies so much. I really don't know what it says about me, other than the fact that I am a big Star Wars fan. Nobody outside of my family has ever seen the full scope of my collection. A few friends have seen some of it, but it doesn't get much of a reaction out of them because they know I'm a Star Wars fan. Most recently, a friend came by and saw my Boga action figure sitting on my desk, and he said "I really like that thing there," which prompted me to explain the creature to him. The only really notable thing that happened like this was when I was with a group of four of five other people in Disney World, and we went to the Star Tours area. Everyone kept talking to me about the stuff and watching my reactions to everything. When we went to the Star Wars store afterwards, everyone kept pointing out Padme (my favorite character) things to me, asking me if I had them.

I hope I've helped you in some way. Please tell me if I need to clarify anything.

EDIT: Edited for spelling.

3. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    1. Why collect Star Wars over any other material collectible set of things? What about SW makes you want to collect its "stuff?"

The reason I collect Star Wars over other collectibles is because Star Wars is the first thing that ever truly captured my attention. It was in 1997, Christmas, when I got my very first Star Wars action figure and '97 was the year that I became a fan of Star Wars. I guess for me, the reason I collect Star Wars stuff is the simple fun of it. It's exciting when you go to a store and just see the line of Star Wars merchandise; it's like a kid on Christmas day. For some reason I get so anxious and then when I actually buy something it's like Christmas comes early and more than once.

2. Why do we seek to bring the SW Universe closer to our own by collecting its "stuff?"

The reason I seek to bring the SW Universe closer to our/my own by collecting is because Star Wars was the very first thing that ever got me thinking that maybe there can be a possibility that there is life besides us in the universe; it helped me see things for the very first time. And by collecting it just brings the thrill of it more closer because you have these different beings (droids, aliens, other humans,etc.) all representing the same universe. It makes my mind wander. I think to myself, "what if this Star Wars universe is an actual place," (you never know it could be possible.) And that's the key word right there possible.

3. What "SW stuff" do you collect, and what does it mean to you? What does your collection say about you? What themes or messages do/does your collection(s) give the ones who witness it/them?

The Star Wars stuff I mostly collect... gosh there is so many. My collection ranges from action figures, magazines, trading cards, posters, books, as well as pewter figurines. What does my collection say about me, that's a great question. I would have to say that, to me, my collection says that I believe in possibility and that I would rather sometimes live in a fantasy than in reality. I'm only 16 but all ready my collection is at around 530 items and to me that is an accomplishment all in itself. Some messages that my collection sends out to others is that 1.) I'm crazy because I have a huge obsession with Star Wars and collecting in general and 2.) This is simply my thing. No one I know of or that other people know of have a huge collection of just one simple thing. I have a friend who collects Star Wars but his collection is much smaller compared to mine.

Scoundrel1100- Hope this helps with your paper. I would like to read it once your done, if you wouldn't mind that is.

4. jango_junkie

jango_junkie Jedi Master star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    For me, Star Wars collecting is more interesting than say, stamps or coke products (the drink, not the drug!) because it is something that I have always liked since I was a young kid. All of the Star Wars collecting brings back all of the memories when I was 7 and played in the ditch banks remaking the Jabba palace scenes. In response to your second part of this question, I have always been a space fan. you know, always asking that question "what if?" and with Star Wars, I am free to imagine what other worlds might be there in space.

The whole search for this stuff is fun and a roller coaster ride. The anticipation of knowing that you will one day find what you want is always fun. It also pays off when you actually find what you want.

I collect all of the basic figures that you find in the stores. Also, anything that appeals to me. It has to or else I am not buying it. From what I have bought, it is alot of bounty hunter things, alot of Boba/Jango Fett stuff as well as Bossk, Ig-88 and so on. I also have alot Dark side toys. Darth Vader to Darth tator, I have that kind of stuff. I tend to jump from side to side but recently with Episode III, I want to get everything that the movie has to offer. When people see my collection they are at shock and awe! I have all of my walls in my room filled with figures and posters. What my collection says about me is that I am a dedicated fan that loves the movie that inspired me to want to persue space technology development and to want to get a mechanical engineering degree when I go to college.

I hope that is what you need! PM me if you need anything else of e-mail me!
    Joseph Mora

5. AcklayComeHome

AcklayComeHome Jedi Master star 7

Apr 27, 2002
    *hasn't read anyone else's answers yet*

Star Wars is so, well, galactic, it has so many different choices, and no matter what you like to collect, it has something for everyone. I just happen to like most of it. :p

Because it's a fantasy world, and everyone has fantasies, so if SW is your thing, it brings a closer connection if you're surrounded by its stuff.

People who see/know about my collection probably think I'm obsessed, or nerdy, or whatever, that's why I don't tell many people. But I don't need to, I collect for me, and I'm happy with it. I don't buy things that have financial value, that are rare for the sake of rarity, I only buy what I like, what I would be proud to have in my collection if I was the only one who knew about it.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Man, am I glad I'm out of college! I'll keep them
    brief but inspirational and insightful. OK, I'll
    keep them brief.

1/A. Why collect Star Wars over any other material collectible set of things? 1/B What about SW makes you want to collect its "stuff?"

1/A - We tend to collect things that have meaning
    beyond the face value. Star Wars simply means more
    to me than say Stamps or coins

1/B - I was 3 when A New Hope was released. Unless
    you were alive during that time period (And a kid) it's
    impposible to explain it's impact. Nothing today, pop
    culture-wise, comes close.

With the vintage stuff it's about having a peice of
    your childhood there. It's the same reason we take
    photographs, to remind us and to keep memories close.

I'll answer this one in parts.

What "SW stuff" do you collect, and what does it mean to you? What does your collection say about you?

I collect a little of everything, with the vintage
    stuff meaning the most. It means a great deal.

What does your collection say about you?

It says that I need a girlfriend.

What themes or messages do/does your collection(s) give the ones who witness it/them?

It tells them that I need a girlfriend. (Sorry, I
    am not really feeling very philosophical right now I
    guess)

Good luck on your paper!

7. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    well, i was boycotting the boards for awhile, but this topic is too good to pass up. as a teacher, i feel obligated to assist in your education any way i can. besides, my very first college essay was about my love of star wars figures. i also got an A.

1. First of all, Juke really hit this one on the head. if you didn't live through the original SW mania, around 1977-1982 or so, then i don't think you can ever fully understand why i collect. i don't mean to say that the newer collectors are any less important, i can only speak for myself. SW "arrived" not only when i was an optimistic young boy, but when the country needed heroes and villians and adventure and fantasy and escapism.(yeah, that's a run-on...who cares?) SW imprinted on my young mind such iconic images of good and evil, fantasy and wonder, triumph and tragedy, etc.. that i feel like it shaped who i am. the action figures were so influential in developing my imagination that i would honestly describe them as the most valuable educational tool i ever had. i'm rambling here, so i'll summarize my thoughts by saying that i was born in 1977, so it helps that most of my earliest memories are SW related. also, because i was so young, it's hard to articulate in words the emotional/psychological attachment i feel towards SW. some of what i've said is mentioned in the documentary "empire of dreams" on the bonus disc of the recent DVD box set. i'd recommend that you take a look at it for your research, especially the parts about the first movie and it's success. that show does the best job of putting it into words that i've ever heard.

2. this question is much easier to put into words. as i mentioned before, Star Wars makes up most of my childhood memories. i can look at nearly every one of my vintage figures and remember something about the day i bought/received it. it's complete nostalgia...almost like getting high off of memories. you might say it's an attempt to live in the past, in happier care-free days when unfettered optimism ruled. at least that's how it seemed at the time. in three words: reliving my childhood.

3. on one hand, i collect anything that is in any way connected to Star Wars, because every time i see that familiar logo or a familiar image i'm transported back to my childhood. i literally felt my heart "skip a beat" the first time i saw ROTS figures in the store. that leads me to my next comment, which is that the 3 3/4" figures are definitely at the center of my collection. i mean to say that they are the most important items, in my opinion. "back in the day," SW figures only cost about a buck. i remember getting one nearly every time we went to the store. everybody had them, even kids who weren't "into star wars." the figures were a relatively new concept in toys, and provided a way to exercise my young imagination. as for the rest of your question, i'm not sure how to answer it. my collection says different things to different people. i'm not sure i've shared it with enough people to know...it's meaning is purely personal. some people try to impress others with collections, but i'm only trying to impress myself. as far as themes/messages, i'm a rather private person so i don't share my collection with many people. also, i live in the rural midwest and i don't know anyone with a collection or even an appreciation of star wars. nearly everything i hear about it is negative.

i'll wrap this long mess up now. i hope you can use some of it. i think you'll find two groups on this board: the younger group, that discovered SW in the 90's and i can't speak for, and the "old school" who were young and impressionable when SW premiered. i found your first question very hard to answer...not because it was a bad question, in fact it's very good. it's just hard for me to put it all into words. perhaps there's some pathology in it, in the attempt to recapture childhood. i just know that for as far back as i can remember, star wars has been important to me. my entire childhood was shaped by it, an

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.