main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Your Hopes For Ep. IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jamtia, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    For those who hated 8 or didn't like the way it was handled in terms of story and characters, is there anything they can do in 9 that would make you feel better? Or has the damage already been done?

whostheBossk and D'an like this.
  2. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I think the damage has already been done. There are some eggs you just can't unbreak.

3. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    I think lets keep the whole bold moves going...I hope Kylo Ren and the FO destroy the Resistance.

gaarastar58, Darth Bary and Blastaar like this.
  4. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    Give Finn a better storyline. I don't feel like he really got any development in this one. And considering he was the co-lead of TFA, it was... really disappointing, to say the least.

I also had some issues with Poe's portayal compared to TFA and the NEU, but it could also be due to me thinking more about how he's characterized in most fanon.

5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    It's so difficult to say. In TLJ, there wasn't one thing that was inherently wrong, there were many small details that together created an unpleasant experience for me. That's why I never did a review for the movie, it's virtually impossible to break all of it down. So, the simple answer is: make a movie I'll enjoy, but it's impossible to know until you're sitting in the theatre.

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A bit of Force Ghost Luke.
    Just a feeling that he's dead, but he's okay.
    I think it would be pretty simple to take that edge off the end of TLA.

Finn... I think they tried to give him a good story, but it didn't quite work out. Give him that major side story, but give it more consequence.

whostheBossk and lookameatbag like this.
  7. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    You can be bold without throwing up all over your own narrative. I'd like for them to get people with an actual vision moving forward. Stop getting these faux talented people just because a bunch of people say they're awesome. If i were jj, i'd blatantly ignore TLJ.

8. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Show what happened to the Republic after the Hosnian system was destroyed. Sure they suffered a heavy blow, but they should have enough ships and soldiers elsewhere in the galaxy where they can go aid the Resistance. Weren't major shipyards and military academies located on Fondor, Kuat, Mon Calamari, and Corulag apart of the New Republic at the time of the ST?

Lando can have a scene where he's at the command of the New Republic fleet and they go in to save the main characters from the First Order.

Give Rey flaws. What makes a character interesting is having them struggle with impossible odds and eventually finding a way to overcome them and I'd rather not have another scene where she easily defeats another important OT character like she did with Luke. Speaking of Luke, you can have a scene where Rey is about to lose hope but then Luke comes to inspire her with hope as well as giving her thanks for helping him remember who he once was.

I was surprised when TLJ omitted the Knight of Ren. I'm hoping for a scene where Rey has trouble fending them off but in a surprising turn of events, survivors of Luke's Jedi Order come to her aid.

Have a scene on Kashyyyk where Chewbacca is helping his people fend off against the First Order.

Have Captain Phasma survive the destruction of the Supremacy. We've had plenty of characters survive death by falling (Palpatine, Boba Fett, Darth Maul, etc.) so bringing back another supposedly dead shouldn't come off as a surprise and this time have her do stuff. Have her slay platoons of soldiers, blowing up enemy vehicles, or even bringing down capital ships. By the time the climax rolls, they can have it similar to Halo Reach where the main character is slaying enemies before finally being killed himself and having Phasma and the Resistance/New Republic in a similar scene would be satisfying.

Make Kylo Ren a Sith Lord. I don't see how he's going to step down from the position of supreme leader of the First Order, let alone being redeemed. He would be a lot more mature and such a force to be reckoned with, it raises the stakes of the plot dramatically. Make us feel like he's going to kill someone important like Rey or Finn and maybe bring the First Order in arms reach of ruling the galaxy.

rebelknight1 likes this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Exactly. The resources of the Republic couldn't have just vanished?

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no winning back necessary.

11. Marcus9000

Marcus9000 Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2017
    They’d better “undead” Luke...

I do t want him to be a Force Ghost except if he dies at the end of Episode IX.

One thing that would/could be cool is if Luke led a heroic attack of Force Ghosts v Knights of Ren (Luke, Obi Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gonn & Anakin). Not ideal but if Luke is dead then I want him to go out in a blaze of glory rather than the lame way he did in 8.

How can they bring him back alive?
    - it was all a dream?
    - Luke teleported?
    - Luke is as strong as Darth Plagueis and can cheat death?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Marcus9000

Marcus9000 Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2017
    They’d better “undead” Luke...

I do t want him to be a Force Ghost except if he dies at the end of Episode IX.

One thing that would/could be cool is if Luke led a heroic attack of Force Ghosts v Knights of Ren (Luke, Obi Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gonn & Anakin). Not ideal but if Luke is dead then I want him to go out in a blaze of glory rather than the lame way he did in 8.

How can they bring him back alive?
    - it was all a dream?
    - Luke teleported?
    - Luke is as strong as Darth Plagueis and can cheat death?

rebelknight1 likes this.
  13. Marcus9000

Marcus9000 Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2017
    I don’t think he should be dead until the end of Episode 8.

What was the point of the map in the Force Awakens?

J.J. Abrams must be raging at Rian Johnson.

rebelknight1 and lookameatbag like this.
  14. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Honestly, I'm not sure that the sequel trilogy is redeemable for me. RJ spent so much time deconstructing everything that was built up in the first film that I feel it will be very hard to get invested in Episode IX. Kylo Ren and Hux don't exactly come across as intimidating villains and the First Order seems completely clownish at this point. Episode VII was very derivative to me, but at least it set up the framework for something bigger. Episode VIII seemed to be more focused on ripping that framework apart than anything else. It seems that the primary focus with Episode VIII was to break apart the franchise rather than build on it.

15. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    The main problem is that they are making the SW movies for the main audience, for the mass, and not for the fans. For a financial standpoint that's absolutely right, but for a story perspective, it is not.
    I remember first watching TFA for the first time and having no ideia what to expect, and in 10 minutes i was shocked because they literally brought the same rebels back, the same empire again, the same Vader and the same Palpatine. They just changed the names. That's not good, no matter how you look at it.
    In TLJ i didn't have expectations, i even read the spoilers, and the movie pretty much confirmed that they are going for an absolute superficial story, mostly for children and new audience.
    The ST are very funny movies to watch, awesome effects and scenes, and a superficial and dumbed down story and characters.
    Episode IX won't "fix" anything, because this movies are not wrong or broken, they are just dumbed down for the main audience, some fans don't approve, but the majority does.

D'an and Rickleo123 like this.
  16. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Main problem is, how to bring the hype back?

am I hyped to see luke skywalker, the most powerful jedi ever after 40 years? Nope, he is dead and destroyed as a character

am I hyped to know who Rey parents are? Nope, RJ in his ego settled that they are nobodys.

am I hyped to know were the mysertius dark side user comes from, and what is he capable of? Nope, snoke is dead.

am I hyped because of the threat the villians represent, and the emotional conflict they have? Nope, I dont give a crap about Hux nor Kylo. Any drama between kylo and leia is gone.

So what I am exactly looking for in the upcoming film? wheres the hype? which things are unresolved or misteryes unexplained?

17. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014

You mean Kylo wasn't lying to Rey about them?

D'an likes this.
  18. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The better question is that since VIII was unquestionably one of the best and most enjoyable 4 Star Wars films ever made... how can Abrams keep the good momentum going and ideally purge the franchise of the most controlling, narrow-minded snickering cynics who feel that Star Wars can only be their way (or no way now that George is gone) so that the fans who have different degrees of fun for all 9 movies for different reasons can just have fun and celebrate this strange blender of genres and fairy tale in the galaxy far far away while the others turn their cynicism toward something else.

I’m talking more about those angry IMDB posters nearing 50 years of age giving half stars and saying this killed their childhoods because it’s more concerned about new generations of heroes and fans than it is adhering to what they read in EU books in their youth. Not people around here though. Fortunately, our fans here are mostly enjoying VIII.

Sightie likes this.
  19. Paro

Paro Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2017
    It's just different opinions, you gotta learn to live with them, or simply ignore it.
    I personally don't like this trilogy so far, and IMO is the worse by a large margin, and i simply do not care about the reviews telling the movie is good, because i don't think it was.
    You should do the same, if you definitely enjoyed the movies, ignore IMDB posters giving half star for the movies. They have every right to do so.

DarthBane93 and rebelknight1 like this.
  20. Ace08

Ace08 Jedi Master

May 24, 2002
    Fix the abomination of a decision to make Rey a "random".

Can't even begin to express how unacceptable a decision this is. It makes her power in the absence of formal training absolutely horrible and inconsistent with the rest of the saga.

Just one man's opinion...but if this isn't fix/addressed this trilogy is already ruined for me.

21. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    J.J said he read Rian's script and wished he was the one who wrote it. I don't know if he was genuine or just being polite, but that were his words.

Отправлено с моего SM-A310F через Tapatalk

22. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    Rey can still be reconned into Lukes kid, so that would cover her potential, why the sword chose her and how she still has a connection to Kylo- cousins. That would please me greatly

Knights of Ren HAVE to be prominent. Perhaps JJ was adamant that he wanted The KoR for his films only? I want to see them being fing RUTHLESS, perhaps capturing FS children for Kylo, slaughtering anyone in their way. Make the KoR all exJedi/Lukes students.

I want the Kux snd Kylo dynamic to change a bit, Hux contiues to find ways for Kylo to get into ‘accidents’. Kylo tries to turn Hux’ stormtroopers to his will. Both men know what each is doing but its not overt enough for Kylo to outright kill Hux and Kylo likes the game they’re playing- for now.

There has to be a time gap, I say make it longer, 5+ years. We get to see Kylo in all his Badassetry, Rey acending and perhaps some young forclings? Stable teenager now?

What if the bad guys win in the end? We get an Established bad guy we know and fear for the following trilogy. next 3 are about the good guys taking it back. Again..

23. HispAnakin

Oct 16, 2017
    Rey can still be reconned into Lukes kid, so that would cover her potential, why the sword chose her and how she still has a connection to Kylo- cousins. That would please me greatly

Knights of Ren HAVE to be prominent. Perhaps JJ was adamant that he wanted The KoR for his films only? I want to see them being fing RUTHLESS, perhaps capturing FS children for Kylo, slaughtering anyone in their way. Make the KoR all exJedi/Lukes students.

I want the Kux snd Kylo dynamic to change loke this, Hux contiues to find ways for Kylo to get into ‘accidents’. Kylo tries to turn Hux’ stormtroopers to his will. Both men know what eachis doing but its not overt enoigh for Kylo to outright kill Hux and Kylo likes the game they’re playing- for now.

There has to be a tome gap, I say make it longer, 5+ years. We get to see Kylo in all his Badassetry, Rey acending and perhaps some young forclings? Stable teenager now?

What if the bad guys win in the end? We get an Established bad guy we know and fear for the following trilogy. next 3 are about the good guys taking it back. Again..

rebelknight1 likes this.
  24. HispAnakin

Oct 16, 2017

I want the Kux snd Kylo dynamic to change loke this, Hux contiues to find ways for Kylo to get into ‘accidents’. Kylo tries to turn Hux’ stormtroopers to his will. Both men know what eachis doing but its not overt enoigh for Kylo to outright kill Hux and Kylo likes the game they’re playing- for now.

There has to be a tome gap, I say make it longer, 5+ years. We get to see Kylo in all his Badassetry, Rey acending and perhaps some young forclings? Stable teenager now?

25. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    Here are the top ten tips for redeeming the sequel trilogy!
    1. Fix the tone. PLEASE. Put the boring grim-dark nonsense aside, go back to the magical vibe of The Force Awakens.
    2. Retcon the whole Rey "Nobody" plot-line. Make her Luke's daughter and the missing emotional depth will finally be there.
    3. Put stronger motivations behind the main characters' actions. All I want are reasonable explanations for their choices.
    4. Treat Luke's character with more respect in the afterlife, show him in a positive light that actually brings him justice.
    5. Quit trying to "surprise" everyone and give the people what they need emotionally.
    6. Have Finn & Rey back together and develop their relationship from the 1st film.
    7. Make it clear that there's no romance between Kylo and Rey at all.
    8. Bring back Snoke and give him an actual backstory this time.
    9. Respect the lore. Please, please, please, take it seriously.
    10. And above all: Respect the audience.
    I desperately wanted to fall in love with The Last Jedi. When I saw The Force Awakens I was truly swept off my feet, it was my ideal film in every way possible. So I went into TLJ with a smile on my face and hope in my heart, but when I left the theater... I am heartbroken.

Here's the thing, Star Wars should make people feel good. I think we can all agree there's not enough good in the world right now.

Honestly... The Last Jedi made me feel like the universe was flipping me off and spitting in my face at an already low point. Not to be dramatic, but I really really care about these stories and these characters. In the end, my investment in The Force Awakens was rewarded with a punch straight to the gut. Just ouch :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.