Your Ideals In Literature Classics

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Isbeth, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    What would you consider literature classics in the following areas? :confused:

• fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, sports, science fiction, romance, western, mystery, historical, children's

My ideas:

Fantasy - Lord of the Rings

Sports- Ball Four

Science Fiction - Can't decide, either Dune, 2001: A Space Odessey, or Stranger in a Strange Land

Western - Riders of the Purple Sage

Children's - Either Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan or The Velveteen Rabbit

I couldn't come up with definative answers for the rest and was wondering what j'all think. If you have other catagories, you can list them too.
  2. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Just one per category?
  3. Isbeth Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I couldn't come up with just one in Science Fiction and Children's Literature and in some catagories, I couldn't think up any. You can addas many as you would like if you can't narrow it down.
  4. malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Master

star 4
    Horror - The Stand -- Stephan King.

Fantasy - The Vampire Series -- Anne Rice
  5. arwen_sith Force Ghost

star 4
    fiction, non-fiction, fantasy, sports, science fiction, romance, western, mystery, historical, children's

It's hard to choose one ultimate, but here are a few suggestions:

Fiction is far too general a genre, it encompasses everything except non-fiction. [face_beatup] I don't read sports books, so I couldn't possibly choose a classic.

Fantasy: Lord of the Rings by Tolkien

Science-fiction: Foundation by Asimov, 2001 - A Space Odyssey by Clarke, Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Verne, The Time Machine by Wells.

Romance: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Mystery: Anything written by Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers.

Non-fiction: The Art of War by Sun Tzu (written in approx. 500 BC)

Children and young adults: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, Anne of Avonlea and its sequels by L. M. Montgomery (and I suspect Harry Potter will figure on this list pretty soon too, given the popularity of the series, and the way it's persuaded so many teens to read).
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    This is so damn hard...
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I really can't even come close except to say that with Mystery, the two to beat are Raymond Chandler's Big Sleep and Agatha Christies' Ten Little Indians.

Beyond that, none of these genres will allow me to narrow down to anything under like the top fifty. :p
  8. severian28 Force Ghost

star 5
    David Halberstams' " Summer of 49 " is the greatest book about baseball ever.
  9. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    It's good except for Halberstam's style, which is excruciating. :p
  10. Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oh, where to begin...

Fiction: House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski. A terrifying novel of paranoia and insanity brought on by family dysfunction.

Non-fiction: Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer. About the 1996 incident on Mount Everest where a record number of climbers were killed in a freak snowstorm. Comments on the commercialization of mountain climbing.

Fantasy: Wicked, by Gregory Maguire. As Stephen Schwartz says, "So much happened before Dorothy dropped in." A story the proves that history is written by the victors.

sports: I don't really read sports novels, but Into Thin Air fits here as well.

Science fiction: The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert(not the ones written by his son and KJA) An influence on all science fiction from then on, an amazing story of the Journey of Man between Triumph, Fall, and Rebirth.

Romance: The Outlander Series, by Diana Gabaldon. A remarkable saga that tells of love spanning centuries and countries against a historic background

western: Again, don't really read westerns.

Mystery: Rebecca, by Daphne DuMaurier. A classic story that combines romance and mystery, where our unnamed heroine and narrator struggles to fill the shoes of the previous Mrs. DeWinter, whom everyone loved...or did they?

Historical: Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. An amazing tale of weakness, redemption and love. Brilliant.

Children's: Peter Pan, by Sir James Barry. The very epitome of children's storytelling, which admonishes every reader to remain young at heart and never stop believing.
  11. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    "Into Thin Air" is a great, harrowing book.
  12. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, for the categories I have any opinions about...

fiction: A very broad category. The Oddyssey, perhaps, or Oedipus.

non-fiction: Black Holes and Time Warps, by Kip Thorne. A wonderful way of using fictional in a non-fiction book to get across unfailiar physics. A must-read for asipring sf writers and those who really like Contact, as well.

fantasy: Lord of the Rings, no contest. So incredibly influential.

science fiction: Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, as well as his robot stories (You can't say you know SF unless you know the Three Laws of Robotics! Plus the zeroth law, of course...). Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card.

mystery: Agatha Christie, sure, but I'm surprised no one has said Arthur Conan Doyle yet. What a fascinating character, Holmes, and Watson too...

children's: The Hobbit, The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland... all perfectly wonderful, but I think top honors has to go to Roald Dahl. The Witches, James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... so many wonderful, engaging and subversive books for children!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.