main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST YOUR ideas for opening shots.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Gordonai, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordonai

Gordonai Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 26, 2014
    We all know the brilliance of the original opening shot in Star Wars. What are your ideas for opening shots in SW movies. Mine...

Copying the opening shot in ANH, a 100-200 metre long spaceship, with multiple cannons mounted topside and underside, passes over head of the camera. It is followed by a squadron of star fighters of a previously unseen class. They are in turn followed by a shuttle craft armed with two cannons. This is followed by two squadrons of starfighters, one to the left, one to the right. Finally two ships matching the first, one left, one right. The whole fleet forming a triangular formation to match the star destroyer in ANH.

A second opening shot: the crawl text reaches the top of the screen and fades away. Suddenly the POV of the camera races forward at great speed; we have made the leap to hyperspace. For the next 90 seconds we race forwards through the galaxy at light speed. We go from a star system in the centre of the galaxy to one far out, passing by and through a great many star systems. Yellow sun. Red dwarfs. Blue giants. Binary star systems. Stars without planets. Stars with planets. 4-12 planets per system. Planets with moons. Planets without. Ringed planets. Planets with atmospheres. Planets without. Planets with water. Planets without. Visibly Inhabited planets. Lifeless planets. Gas giant planets. The whole time we are travelling through an irregułar, patchy, nebulous cloud like rotating tunnel. This is not so dense and so bright as to be impossible to see the stars beyond it. We pass through some star systems rather than just passing by. We pass between the systems sun and it's innermost planet. We pas between a planet and it's moon. After 90 seconds we slow down to reach our destination and the camera mives back, through the glass of the cockpit window, behind the captain and his co-pilot, behind two robed figures who stand behind them.

2. Gordonai

Apr 26, 2014
    I forgot to add, hope you enjoy this thread.

sethg likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Alright I'll give it a shot: We pan down to Tatooine (although at a different angle than ANH so it's not a complete rip off of that opening) and suddenly a single TIE fighter races toward the planet at great speed. It's followed by an enormous Star Destroyer which releases a dozen more fighters from its underside hanger. For a moment we wonder who exactly the Imperials are after until the squadron begins firing lasers and we realize it's the single TIE they're after.

We move inside the cockpit of the TIE where we find Finn at the controls struggling to keep the fighter in flight as lasers strike the ship from all angles. It's a losing battle and suddenly the fighter starts to spin wildly out of control. We follow the fighter all the way through the atmosphere of the planet and further as the surface rushes up at us inexorably through the cockpit window. All the while Finn desperately tries to regain control of the ship but it's too late, there's impact, and everything goes black.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    That could be interesting...but ninety seconds is an eternity in movie time.

dekaneas likes this.
  5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'd like to see a Star Destroyer as it pans down. But A different shot from what we have seen in III,IV,V,VI! Maybe it coming from the left <
    going to the planet Tatooine!

Luke'sSeveredHand and Andy Wylde like this.
  6. Gordonai

Apr 26, 2014
    Darth Chiznuck's is a good idea. Wouldn't be surprised if something very like that doesn't actually appear in the movie.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Pan down to Star Destroyer releasing a gunship. The gunship flies down to the desert planet. We cut inside and see the scene with the troopers in the trailer. Movie proceeds from there.

8. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Pan down to a TIE fighter, already damaged and trailing flames. Three more TIE fighters follow firing on the first. Close up on the cockpit of the first TIE fighter which appears to be pilotless. A beat then the domed head of BB-8 pops up over the control panel, his mechanical hand gripping the joystick. We follow the stricken fighter to the planet below as it impacts on the surface, the following TIE fighters hold fire, circle and report the position of the crash site.

9. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I think it would be cool to have the crawl go by but instead of being in space the camera is inside the atmosphere of the planet but looking up at the clear night sky. The camera then pans down so it's level with the horizon and we see the stormtrooper transport fly by overhead on the way to the village that they're about to attack.

sizziano, Gobi-1, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  10. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I would be surprised if the shot of the Falcon shooting up and turning towards the TIE's in the trailer was the opening, its all down to whether JJ wants to through the traditional space opening right out the window.

11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Crawl, pan down star field, Luke's hand still clutching it's Sabre floats by and off screen, next chewbacca's severed' hand floats, by and off screen, next Adam Driver's hand floats by, then walrusman's, etc

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    First dialogue is a Sith Lord aboard a Star Destroyer screaming "Severed hand fields do not concern me, Admiral!".

13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    The camera pans down to show a Star Destroyer orbiting the desert planet when suddenly it transforms into Optimus Prime.

Oops, sorry, for a second there I lost my head and thought Michael Bay was directing the movie.

I'm going to go with what Darth Chiznuk said.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  14. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Based on the trailer I would not be surprised if it involved Finn's TIE vs star destroyer and other fighters.

15. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    Kate Upton and Megan Fox jumping on a trampoline wearing Leia's slave outfit maybe?

16. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Yeah I like his idea too. I could see something like that happening in the movie.

hartman's idea gets props as well lol

17. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    At the minimum, it has to have a pan down to a Star Destroyer in space. 4 out of the 6 movies had a Star Destroyer in the opening sequence, and I think it's the most iconic part of any SW movie introduction.

To not open with a Star Destroyer would be akin to a Bond movie not opening with the view of Bond down the barrel of a gun.

18. hartman89

hartman89 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2014
    When I see the beginning of a Bond movie, I start to wish I am looking down the...ahh, too easy...

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    The film starts with the text crawl on the star field. After the crawl ends, the camera slowly zones in, until you realize the star field isn't a star field but really the last embers of the charred remains of a village.

Say What!?!

Seeher and Bennihana like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I would like a pan down to tatooine after the crawl.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. SWITS

SWITS Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 7, 2015
    Immediately after the crawl, the camera pans down to a view of the USS Enterprise being blown to smithereens by a speeding Millennium Falcon headed right toward it while the Falcon is being chased by a squadron of Imperial TIE Fighters.
    Han turns to Chewie and says "I didn't have time to go around it! Besides... I had a bad feeling about that ship".

TheManFromMortis and Markpro like this.
  22. Markpro

Markpro Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    I would like to see the opposite from ANH...black space with a small speck in the distance. the speck gets closer and closer to the screen unveiling a gigantic star destroyer, it flies overhead and the camera spins around mid way to follow it moving towards a planet slightly below. a homage to the old but new at the same time.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  23. Grilled Hutt

Grilled Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 24, 2003
    I think i will open with a shot of jagermeister to relax and enjoy the opening shot......

Bennihana likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    A voice over, with the mysterious Sith Lord talking about the dark side has not died.

25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I like the idea of the stricken TIE (piloted by Boyega) plummeting into the desert planets atmosphere. But if (as we're led to assume) he's being chased, why isn't he just destroyed totally by his pursuers? So maybe he's in possession of something valuable and the aim isn't to destroy him but to capture and reclaim what he has..stolen? This scenario throws up into the air the notion he's a defector possibly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.