main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST YOUR ideas for opening shots.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Gordonai, Jan 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I would love to see an imp star destroyer being chased by a bigger ship. Just like in ANH but the opposite. This time the star destroyer is on the run. Or maybe a Blockade Runner chasing a star destroyer over Tattooine? No but for real I would love to see the tie fighter crashing from space into the planet.

Lord D'arg likes this.
  2. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    Hopefully something as iconic as the opening of ANH. However, I don't know how the opening can be as startling and awesome as the opening of ANH.

LUH-3417 likes this.
  3. acroyear7

acroyear7 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 11, 2006
    There seems to be two scenarios bandied about. 1)Finn crashes the TIE Fighter and goes on the lam. And, 2)Finn is one of Stormtroopers on a carrier that lands and destroys a village. Then he flees.

I think the former is from an older draft of the screenplay. And the latter might be closer to the truth. I only say that because in the teaser, Finn is wearing the white armor of a stormtrooper and not the black attire of a TIE fighter pilot.

4. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    It's a good point.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Yeah, I also love the idea of Boyega's TIE crashing onto Tattooine as an opening shot. That would be something we haven't seen yet (an Imperial craft not in control) and exciting.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Yeah what an intro to Finn that would be.

Opening crawl, then a damaged TIE fighter roars overhead (in space) followed by several others that are firing at it. A Star destroyer is seen in the background. The damaged one gets hit in the wing, and starts spinning out of control and enters the atmosphere of a familiar planet (Tatooine) and the pilot is forced to eject. When he lands we get the scene from teaser the trailer where Finn stands up, sweating and having a bit of a panic attack. He sees a settlement not far away and starts running toward it.

Maybe what I just said sounds lame but hey to me it's cool lol

Fruit Pastilles likes this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

If Finn is just a grunt (as the armour implies, no Special Forces there) how would he know how to pilot a TIE fighter? Remember one of the casting calls required a 'not too heroic' type for Finn. IMHO It all points to him doing something 'rebellious' during the search for the lightsabre which means he has to run for it. The combination of factors - his rebellious act (probably saving lives of the 'villagers') and his knowledge of what the Imperials are searching for - forges the partnership with Rey to kickstart their adventure.

If there is a crash landing of a ship (TIE fighter, Shuttle, escape pod, X-Wing or whatever) at the start I fully believe that BB-8 will be on that ship, carrying the lightsabre in it's innards.

8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I think they need to show the conflict in Finns actions, of course they could get round it with a few lines in the opening crawl and then show him crashing a TIE, but wouldn't it be better to see why he's on the run instead of explaining it? However I accept that there may have to be some exposition in the opening crawl to get us to a certain point with Finn (or maybe force users in general if he is one).

9. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Luke's hand dancing to "Anything Goes."

Bennihana likes this.
  10. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

To buy into Finn's story I think we are going to need to know why he is a Stormtrooper in the first place. I'm sure that we will get something along the lines that he lost his parents when he was very young and he was taken into a military orphanage of sorts. Maybe when he realises that instead of doing a glorified Policeman's role or fighting those 'evil' Rebels he is ordered to execute defenceless beings he has his turning?

11. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I'd like to see an Alliance Capital ship blowing an Empire remnant ship up with Han shouting "Don't get cocky kid" to Daisy.

12. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Cameo of Rick McCallum and Hayden Christensen crashing in a TIE.

Fruit Pastilles and Bennihana like this.
  13. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    even though it's non traditional I really like that idea

Revanfan1 and Bennihana like this.
  14. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    **** you, Rick Berman

15. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I just see an escape pod breaking free from a Star Destroyer on its way down to the surface of Tatooine. Perhaps a TIE fighter is stolen by Finn instead and pursued down to the surface instead. It would be interesting to see the Empire firing upon itself, especially as a prelude to what will likely be the Imperial Civil War.

16. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I really like that. Sets up one of the major characters and his plot, keeps it vague why a storm trooper (if he is one...) is fleeing the Empire, leaving it for us to discover his story as the film unfolds.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Newbie and 1st time thread poster here so please be gentle.

Almost all previous opening scene shots show a ship (or probe droid) descending towards a planet or other object.

If the art of the cyborg\grave-robber holding Vader's helmet is accurate or close to accurate, then this is how the opening shot could transpire.

Have a ship ascending (as opposed to descending) from the planet moon of Endor to a Star Destoyer or other capital ship.

Then screen wipe to the graverobber figure sitting in the ship holding Vader's mask with Endor visible out of a viewport.

Then later in the film, Finn sees Vader's mask then panics and runs setting everything in motion.

The Ascending (ship) would give reference to the Force "Awakening" and ascending to a level never before encountered.

18. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    well we know it has to be a ship flying in either air or space.

19. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Having an invasion of stormtroopers, but this time from the point of view of the troopers, particularly Finn.

20. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I like your idea just have a question. Why does Finn run after seeing the vader mask?

21. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    It seems more in line with the OT ideal of jumping right into the middle of the action for the TFA crawl to tell us that there's an Imperial defector who has stolen something valuable...So the film would begin with a pan down to Imperials chasing Finn's TIE through space above Tattoine, and Finn crash landing on the planet because his ship is damaged by an indirect hit or something like that. Maybe Rey sees the TIE crash or the skirmish in the sky (just as Luke saw the fight above the planet in the cut scenes from ANH). . .I'd rather see that than see Finn part of the unit that burns the village before defecting...If the stormtroopers aren't searching and torching the village in order to find Finn and whatever he has stolen or knows that's valuable, why are they on Tattoine destroying the village?

I know likes this.
  22. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    Yeah the biggest problem that I have with my opening scene is that Finn is not wearing TIE pilot armor when we see him.

So either he doesn't fly a TIE fighter at all, or he changed clothes lol

23. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    He could defect as a Stormtroopers while aboard a Star Destroyer and just steal one of the Tie Fighters to make an escape?

EHT likes this.
  24. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

I have been in light aircraft before and often wondered how scary it would be if anything happened to the pilot and I was left in control. I don't think that I would like to steal a TIE fighter, fly it through space, into the atmosphere of a planet and then try to land it.

kip73 likes this.
  25. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    Very true! But, it is Star Wars after all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.