main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Least Favorite Scene from Indiana Jones

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Sarge, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What is your least favorite scene from Indiana Jones?

For me, it has to be the climax of Raiders.

Through the whole movie, Indy has been doing awesome cool stuff, wild derring-do, crazy clever stunts, outmaneuvering the bad guys time and again. Now we come to the climax, I'm breathless with anticipation of whatever amazing brilliant move Indy is going to come up with to escape being tied to the post in front of the ark and make the Nazi stooges look stupid again. And what does he come up with? "Don't look at it!"

What, that's it? He's not going to do anything but avert his eyes? That's his brilliant plan? I'm ready for a mind-boggling action sequence and they give us peek-a-boo. What a let-down.

Flame away, everyone, and share your least favorite scene.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Any scene of Willie screaming in Temple of Doom. That got old real quick. Otherwise I liked the film.

SensationalSean likes this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Predictable, but swinging with monkeys in Crystal Skull
    Indy 4 is tied with Temple of Doom for my favourite of the films, but.... why, why, why is Transformers boy swinging among the trees with monkeys in an Indiana Jones film

cubman987 likes this.
  4. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    The "Scottish lord" scene in The Last Crusade.

klingklang likes this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

That scene was very Mickey Mouse. :p

Darkslayer, Yanksfan and Sarge like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The credits because it means the movie is over :(

7. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It's funny how the stuff everyone complains about in the last movie (refrigerator, monkeys) doesn't bother me like other stuff. The exploration into the cave where the skull was found really bogs things down in rewatches, and I have probably only seen the movie twice after the times in the theaters.
    As for least favorite scene in the series, I can't think of anything in Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade. That's an interesting perspective about the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, though. I figured it was time to let the Ark take center stage and witness this power we've been hearing about all movie long. The whole movie kind of makes a point of doing the opposite of what is expected in its homage to those kinds of films. Indiana Jones isn't infallible, has a fear of snakes, and let's himself get captured.

8. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I don't agree that it's a let-down (it's a terrific scene regardless), but I do see your point. The sheer intensity of the scene does manage to iron out the fact that our hero gets himself captured without a plan, and he and the heroine are rescued by, well, God - who conveniently kills all the bad guys as well.
    EDIT: I think Indy's helplessness in this scene was possibly deliberate, perhaps to reinforce the idea spoken by Brody earlier on, that he was meddling with powers he didn't really understand. The Nazis were punished by higher powers for their evil intentions regarding the Ark, while Indy's own motivations were somewhat academic and less selfish in nature - but he was playing with fire nevertheless.

For me, the worst scenes are Mutt & the monkeys, plus that ludicrous car chase/swordfight through the jungle in KOTCS. Neither feel like they're from an Indiana Jones film - if it was Indy swinging through the trees, there'd be shots of his hands bleeding and him constantly slamming into trees, both for comic effect and to show how bloody dangerous it is.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The kiss and make it feel better scene in Raiders. Just strikes me as the wrong kind of cheesy for an Indy film.

10. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    But.... but John Williams!

Darkslayer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. AntilllesRedTwo

AntilllesRedTwo Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2013
    That scene in which Henry Jones Sr uses the birds and the umbrella to blow up the Nazi plane.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. Brainiac 9.0

Brainiac 9.0 Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2014
    The fridge escape from a nuclear blast in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

AshiusX and JediBatman like this.
  13. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Almost the entire jungle chase scene

Mutt with the monkeys, fencing, the car chase.....

Next time you watch the movie, fast forward past most of this nonsense. It becomes a much better film.

14. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Gotta admit, there is a great interaction there between Indy and Marion though

15. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

I always thought of Indy as the kind of guy who never has a plan, he just goes with the flow. Also, I've thought of him as one of the luckiest guys ever. That's what makes him so fun. He gets into so much trouble but always gets out of it, even it it means not getting his head blown up or face melted just by closing his eyes! I love it!

Seagoat likes this.
  16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    "How are you going to get that truck?!"
    "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go"

mratm23 likes this.
  17. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm a little surprised that you'd consider the unleashed wrath of God Almighty to be a let down.

For me, it's three sequences from "Temple of Doom":
    -Anything with the enslaved kids; seeing kids getting beaten on was distasteful.
    -The "possessed Indy" sequence; I don't want to see Indy as a bad guy.
    -The bug tunnel sequence; the bug sequences in "Raiders" and "Crystal Skull" got to me, but not as bad as this one.

Seagoat likes this.
  18. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Kingdom of the Crystal Skull :p

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I could take my pick from the majority of the last half of KOTCS, its like shooting fish in a barrel, but if I had to pick one from that film it would be the quicksand scene, unecessary and unfunny.

In the original trilogy I would probably pick the opening of TLC. Not that its bad, just that they don't have to demystify the character by telling you everything about him.

Sarge likes this.
  20. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Agreed! I just wish they trimmed the hell out of the scene overall.

21. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Just about anything from KOTCS but if I had to pick from the original trilogy it would have to be the boat love scene in Raiders.

22. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I absolutely, positively, unequivocally abhor the scene showcasing Sean Connery's (Henry Jones Sr.'s) off-screen death. During that time frame - perhaps, even before then - I call to mind word of Harrison Ford's inclination and enthusiasm toward the notion of working with Connery again. Sadly, he instead acted opposite an inanimate object... that of Connery's picture. Now, every time I see the scene between bickering father and son in The Last Crusade, wherein Indy is tied back-to-back with Henry Sr., and they turn to look over their shoulders whilst saying Indy, Dad, Indy, Dad I cannot help but see Indiana Jones look over his shoulder only to find that he is all alone. 'Character shields' my ***. Where was this metaphorical plot armor when I needed it...

sarlaccsaurs-rex and AndyLGR like this.
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I don't like the scene in Raiders where the Nazis are killed. It's just too gory (don't get me started on Temple of Doom). They could've easily did that scene the way how they killed Donovan in Last Crusade: same result, but not as graphic.

24. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Leaving the fourth movie out of it (because that's too easy), I'd have to say the "rat scene" in LC. It's not a bad scene, but I have a phobia of rats (like Henry Jones, Sr.) so that part disgusts me and freaks me out. Gah, so gross….

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The CGI jungle chase in Indy4.

In Temple of Doom when the runaway train car lands perfectly.

In Temple of Doom when Indy and Evil Dude are strggling on the bridge turned ladder their final battle ends with Indy sounding like Constantine reciting cript and if you look closely the two of them actually look like they are waiting for the director to say, "Cut!".