Your least favourite bit of the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Handmaiden-Kabe, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Handmaiden-Kabe Jedi Knight

star 1
    Firstly, this is not a criticism of the OT, I was just thinking about it...
    I'm sure this has been done before but I couldn't find it on the list, so I thought I'd give it a go. Sorry if it has!
    When I was little, I hated the bit where the ewok dies in ROTJ, and his friend doesn't realise and tries to wake him up. It used to make me cry!
    Fortunately I have seen the light about ewoks, and it no longer makes me cry. Most definitely not.
    Now my least favourite bit would be the sarlacc having a stupid beak in the new version of ROTJ. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the changes (ie Hayden C at the end), but a beak!?!? I think it was far more scary when it was just a gaping maw. I've been in Little Shop of Horrors- it's like deja vu!
    So which bits make you cringe?
    Oh, come to mention it, Luke's banana jacket at the end of ANH is pretty atrocious too![face_not_talking]
  2. DrAnakin Jedi Padawan

I agree with the Sarlaac beak and Luke's banana jacket. I also hate the space slug in ESB. The first time you watch it, you expect a scary menacing creature to pop out of the asteroid, but instead you get a horrible-looking slug that resembles certain parts of the male anatomy. I always thought that ILM could have come up with something better.
  3. Handmaiden-Kabe Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ho ho ho! I'd never thought of that...analogy. Still, I'm a wuss. If it had been scarier I might have had to retreat behind my sofa...
  4. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    [face_laugh] I have come to either accept or ignore the jacket, but in principle I agree that it's quite awful :p

Most of the RotJ-Tatooine stuff after the droids-only scenes bothers me, except that it later contributed to a lot of good EU stories/material.

And shooting down like a thousand cameras and sensors and whoknowswhat in the detention block in ANH. 2 or 3 would have been more than enough.

oh, this is going to end well....
  5. MisterVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Sarlaac beak is the one thing that I find necessary to justify whenever it's criticized, mainly because the explanation is too good:

http://gs.michaelhopcroft.com/motif/520

[face_dancing]
  6. Grand_Moff_Jawa Force Ghost

star 5
    Is this thread asking about the O-OT or the OT-SE's? Or both? If it's about the OT-SE's, I'd have to say the ending of ROTJ with Hayden. If it's about the O-OT, I'd say it's the change in Artoo's "voice" in ROTJ.
  7. DarthMatter Jedi Master

star 3
    Well...these least fav bits can also be a list of hopeful crucial fixes in any "Ultimate" Edition...and no, I'm not a basher...

ANH
    - Vader/Obi duel, which now is way out of place
    - Most DS attack run shots and over-the-top, distracting rocking of Luke's cockpit
    - Lack of connection to larger galaxy, Yoda/Sidious, etc

TESB
    - Repetition of the Falcon's Lightspeed joke

ROTJ
    - Retread of the whole DS plot and attack run
    - "Muppet Hour" Jabba's Palace section
    - Lack of credibility and utter campiness of the Ewok victory
    - Two different distances from the DS in the final ROTJ battle (close to the DS from outside, far away from inside - compare to the out-the-window shots of the rescue scene in ROTS)
    - Only 45 minutes or so of non-cringe-worthy movie is left (but that 45 minutes or so is awesome)

These things make me cringe every time, even before the PT began. :rolleyes:
  8. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm going to have to say the performance in Jabba's palace in ROTJ. Definatly definalty unneeded. I agree with the beak,and the banana jacket and I'm going to have to say the death of the Taun Taun in ESB. I mean, they've redone the movies how many times?! They could make the death and collapse of the Taun taun just a little more realistic and a little less pathetic.
  9. sith_rising Force Ghost

star 4
    Some parts I usually fast-forward on the DVDs:

Debriefing the Rebel pilots in ANH
    Trash compactor scene in ANH
    Hiding in the space slug in TESB
    Rancor battle in ROTJ
    Endor, until the bunker raid, in ROTJ

I don't hate em', just watch them rarely.
  10. Thegoat Force Ghost

star 1
    Haha, I never thought about the jacket, but you have a point.

The worst of the original trilogy has to be when the Imperials come out of the bunker in ROTJ and Han acts like he's going to hold up the whole infantry. Then the Ewoks pop out and he shrugs his shoulders with that dumb look on his face. I could almost hear the sitcom laugh track.

The Ewok victory was lame, but that's been discussed to death. Ditto for the power converters.

Jedi Rocks. The new scene was promising. Then Jabba said "Do that again," and the whole thing spiraled into a musical number of pain and misery.

I like the part in the beginning of ESB where Vader yells "General Veers" and turns around. The camera turns with him to show Veers right up in Vader's face and Vader backs up a little bit. Look for it next time you watch if you haven't noticed it cause it's kind of funny.

"Someone who loves you." As bad as the worst from AOTC.
  11. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    The non-blinking eyes of the teddy bear Ewoks always annoys me.
  12. E107_Theta Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think the thing that bugs me the most about the OT is that Leia is Luke's sister. It makes the twins relationship REALLY awkward. ROTJ should have been two or more movies, but George wanted to call it quits and making Leia Luke's sister feels like the ultimate cop-out.

I really wish that the OT was four movies instead of three. In Episode VI, Luke and the gang would rescue Han from Jabba, as in ROTJ. After that, Yoda and Obi-Wan tell him of his sister, and Luke goes off to search for her, and he later finds her. Then, Episode VII would more or less be the second half of ROTJ, with Luke (and possibly sister?) confronting Vader and the Emperor. Also yeah, the Ewoks were pretty silly, I would have loved it had the final battle taken place on Kashyyk with Wookies instead. I'm sure people would have loved the battle of Endor if it had Wookies instead of Ewoks.

I think the saga as a whole would have been MUCH better had Lucas went for what he originally intended. Nine episodes a little much, but seven would have made it mesh more nicely.
  13. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I think the saga as a whole would have been MUCH better had Lucas went for what he originally intended. Nine episodes a little much, but seven would have made it mesh more nicely.

No, nine films will do fine (waves hand). 4 for the Classic Trilogy, and 5 for the Prequels. Remember, we didnt get to see a whole lot of Anakin between conception and 9 and between 9 and 19. There could have been a lot of good stuff put in those time frames.
  14. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    If it is going to be 9 films, it should be like this:

TPM
    Episode II
    AOTC
    Episode IV
    ROTS
    ANH
    Episode VII
    ESB
    ROTJ

My least favorite bit: The pacing of the first 3rd of ROTJ, it is very hard to get through Tatooine. The first 3rd of ANH is almost as bad, the saving grace being Alex Guiness and Obi-Wan's exposition.

I guess I really don't like Tatooine much as a planet. Very boring, very desolate.
  15. DeakSkywalker Jedi Padawan

The whole Jabba's palace dance sequence. Just ugh...but it doesnt ruin ROTJ for me (IMO tied with ESB for best SW movie).
  16. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The speeder bike scene for me. For some reason I just don't like it.
  17. TK421124KT Jedi Padawan

I don't have too many, and I love Tatooine, but the few scenes from the OT that I fast-forward through are:

In ANH- the new added Biggs and Luke reunion scene. Either put them all in or don't bother with just one, it's out of place.

In ESB- not a big fan of the Leia/Han bickering. More so in the Falcon than on Hoth.

In ROTJ- that whole introduction of the Ewoks, with Leia fooling around with Wicket. "Look, it's a hat" BORING.
    And Jedi Rocks. I liked Lapti Nek just fine. This new one is like watching some crappy CGI version of Fraggle Rock. Juvenile beyond belief.

18. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    The first 3rd of ANH is almost as bad, the saving grace being Alex Guiness and Obi-Wan's exposition.

But Lucas' point in the first 3rd of ANH was to make the audience say to themselves "what is going on ?", like in a Japanese movie with no subtitles. Remembering the first time I saw ANH, he certainly suceeded in that. :rolleyes:
  19. morrison85 Force Ghost

star 5
  20. dude4c Jedi Knight

star 3
    for me, the duel in ANH. that is terrible. The dialog, the action, it just was bad. of course with no other duel to compare it to, it was great. But now that we have a body of work/ duels featuring obiwan, it would be great to see his tenacity in his final duel.
  21. Ree Force Ghost

star 5
    Me and my sister always have a laugh and make fun of the part where Luke finds out Vader is his Dad, because the expression on his face when he says "Nooooooooooo!" is pretty funny[face_laugh] Kind of like he just ate a lemon. Just thinking about it makes me giggle.

Actually interesting motif there. Luke said "Nooooo!" and so did Vader in ROTS. But that's another thread for another time.
  22. Darth_Laudrup Force Ghost

star 4
    Not including the conversations between Leia and Luke and Leia and Han, I have to say that the scenes in the Ewok village can get a bit dull.
  23. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, wookies would've been much better than Ewoks. You either love or hate ewoks. They're cute, but its very hard to believe that a group of small teddy bears with rocks could defeat the Galatic Empire's grand army who actuall\y have armor and the advantage of better technology. Wookies are more believable, they're Warriors and huge! They operate bowcasters instead of sticks and rocks.

As for Luke finding his sister and fighting Vader with her, that would be cheesy. The two fighting evil together reminds me of the horrible ending of spiderman 3. I could just hear the comic relief between the two as one messes up and the other has to save them with "Not again." or "This is the last time!"
  24. Jango10 Force Ghost

star 5
    But I'm not saying "What is going on?" Sure people probably were when it first came out because everything was new to them, now it is just the same old Tatooine. Even if it is someone's first time watching ANH, if they watched the Prequels beforehand, than the first third will seem slow and boring to them.
  25. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master

star 4
    While on Tatooine that is supposed to be the effect, though. Luke's bored on Tatooine, it's a boring lifestyle for a young farmboy looking towards the stars. For the PT, it's mainly Coruscant openings which focuses on galatic conflict while throwing jedi's in.

ANH is, IMO, the most boring out of the Saga. By this time, Luke's stranded on Tatooine his whole life. He's bored and fed up of his farmer lifestyle. As for the jedi? Their in hiding, no longer involved in openly heroic actions and missions. No action is taking place at the beginning of ANH...the empire rules all and up until the arrival at the death star, theres been no threat to the Empire. Thats when the action starts.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.