main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your least favourite bit of the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Handmaiden-Kabe, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    I figure that it'd be a proper action to agree with that.

2. Handmaiden-Kabe

Handmaiden-Kabe Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2005
    I love this bit! It's hilarious! Just the thought of being nose to nose with Vader is pretty terrifying. I think Prowse got a bit over-enthusiastic there and over-did the swinging-round bit...Great comedy value though.
    I'm afraid I have to defend 'The Hayden ghost' though. Partly because I fancy the pants off him, but also because I think it totally ties the whole saga together. You can really believe that the young Anakin we see the PT is the Vader we see in the OT. Actually, that can lead onto another thing that annoys me: Sebastian Shaw! I know he's original and all, but to me he lacks credibilty as 'being Vader'. I was always really disappointed when big, powerful scary Vader's mask came off to reveal...a pasty potato head man. So Hayden all the way! =P~

3. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Of course after the 3rd to 500th viewing, youre not going to say "What is going on?" ". (on the 501st viewing, the brain explodes, and on the second viewing, some people are slow.:p ) Yeah, watching them in order defeats what Lucas wanted to do in the first third of ANH, but it was a small sacrifice. It was the initial shock value of the first film he was after.

4. acinom

acinom Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2003
    I agree on the issue of Hayden's force ghost replacing Shaw. It's not like Shaw's face was seen in the movies for more than 5 minutes anyway.

My least favorite bit has been affected by the PT. I really have to force myself to sit through the first scenes with Luke and Obi Wan in ANH when he does the play on words/truth with Luke. His speech about "for over a thousand years the Jedi Knights were guardians of peace and justice...." that is fine, but when he starts answering questions about Anakin/Vader I get mad. I also don't like the way Obi Wan looks at R2D2 and says "I don't seem to recall ever owning a droid." Ok fine, you didn't own the droid, but based on the jokes b/w Ani and Obi in EP III at the beginning (No loose wire jokes, he's trying) Obi Wan should damn sure be able to recognize the droid.

The whole Luke finding out about Leia being his sister bit doesn't sit right either. There's no leading up to it, Yoda just blurts out a deathbed confession and Luke AUTOMATICALLY knows it's Leia? Ok whatever.

5. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Prequel Anakin's face pasted over the old man in ROTJ. Now instead of a kinder looking older gentleman looking back at Luke we've got the creep from the prequels.

6. TK421124KT

TK421124KT Jedi Master

May 21, 2007

In other words, a movie is only good if it has action, action and more action. Can't disagree more with that.

7. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    The ANH duel which is clumsy awkward with no real emotional impact until Obi-wan dies at the end.

Jedi Rocks, that little Honey Combs guy singing is the worst and most pointless scene inserted into the SE's. So it was an experiment to see how CGI characters in the PT would work. Well, that was the nineties and the PT have been done. Why keep it there for the DVDs?

No imperial march in ANH. The imperial theme used in ANH was kind of a silly sounding song. I realize that Williams didn't come up w/ the Imperial March until ESB, but after redoing the OT twice, they could have dropped it in.

8. bluesaber70

bluesaber70 Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2007
    Oh for Pete's sake it's the Ewoks. I've never thought they had a place in SW. I remember the first time I saw "Jedi" and thought "what in the **** is this!?"

9. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Let's see, in the original versions it would be a toss up between Fett's death and the Executer going down due to one A-Wing fighter slamming into the bridge.

SE versions..Yeah, definitely the Hayden Ghost which is pretty bad considering how much I hate some of the other changes. Not only because I can't stand the Anakin of the PT, but it's so obvious that the shot wasn't even meant for that scene. Lucas aparently didn't even care enough to film Hayden specifically for it--just slapped on some extra footage. It symbolizes everything wrong with the changes to the OT and the reason I have used this icon for about 3 years now.

10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Well we know r2 wasn't given the memory wipe at the end of ROTS, we don't know if he was given one between the 20 years between. However, if Luke was to know that r2 was really Obi's droid at sometime, he could start asking some questions or fiddle around to retrieve his memory or hologram receptor. Finding that, he could find out alot of stuff about his father. Y'know the same guy Ben wants destroyed..

As for Luke and Leia, if you read any of the novelizations it talks about Luke and Leia loving eachother but in a platonic way where they feel something but don't know exactly what. When Luke blurts it out it's his instinct telling him his sister is Leia, proving that he's become more adapted to the force to rely on instict and let it serve him.

I wasn't saying that at all, I love SW all in all, boring political parts and all. I was replying to the poster who was saying that the first like half of SW while on Tatooine it's boring. I'm saying that maybe it was Lucas's intention, seeing as Luke is the bored farmboy on a planet farthest from the brightside of the universe. I don't mind the Tatooine scenes, it gives a nice glimpse into Luke's boring world that motivates him to become a galatic hero.

11. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    the light saber duel in ANH. I hate it. also, the death star attack in ANH.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [face_hypnotized] How times have changed... :_|

13. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Come on dude.

The attack on the Death Star in ANH is the best space battle of all.

14. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Bringing up SE changes makes this too easy.

I thought the scene w/ Han & Lando before the Endor battle was kind of cheap and made-for-TV-ish. The set, the dialouge, the acting - sub par. Ditto the Luke/Leia scene on Endor.

On another note, I am a firm Ewok supporter. They are cute and kick @$$. I wanted one for a pet as a kid, and I found the whole concept interesting and fun. If you can't smile at nasty Imperials getting their butts handed to them by happy, chirpy furry things, then my guess is that you're not 'geting' it.

Ewoks and cynicsm don't mix, much like cynicsm and gungans. You're supposed to free your jaded smarty-pants selves and enjoy the idea of your own teddy bear having the power to save you from your worst fears.

YUB-NUB!

15. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Ewoks are cool, but I just sometimes feel that while watching some of the village scenes I find myself waiting for the Luke & Vader conversations.

16. TK-138

TK-138 Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2005
    This and the redoing of Boba Fett's voice in ESB are two of the reasons why I have no desire to buy the "Original Triliogy" (thats a crock) on DVD. I guess since there are the DVDs with the Originals out, I could get them. The only change with the DVD edition that is justifiable is making the Emperor in ESB consistant with all of Palpatine's appearences in the other movies.

17. GreenLantern_Jedi

GreenLantern_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2007
    This has to be the Ewok costumes in Jedi. If they only had CGI back then. Look at the production paintings; it was such a cool idea to have these fairy tale characters traipsing around the woods in a SW movie. But the execution is very unconvincing if you are above the age of 6. Oh well.

18. Na-heela

Na-heela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2007
    The ANH duel always reminds me of my room mate and me fighting with baguettes ... way too washy-washy. And I didn't like the Hayden ghost at all, together with a couple of other little bitsies from the SE like the new Jabba scene.

19. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I really don't get the hate behind the ANH duel. I might be the only wrestling fan here, so people probably won't get it if I say that Vader and Obi-Wan had good in ring psychology in ANH (there was a story behind the fight and they pulled off telling the story well. People seem to hate it because they want a prequel spot fest (nothing but flippy guys doing flippy things).

20. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Least favorite bit? Eh, nothing really...just a flick called Return of the Jedi.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There were supposed to be Yuzzum on the planet as well, in a different arboreal layer, and as we know from Splinter, Yuzzum are more formidable than Ewoks.

22. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I agree that the death star run is one of the best. However, for people who've become accustomed to the PT they find it slow and poor. I grew up on the OT though, and I'll never forget seeing the first space battle of the saga. It was captivating.

23. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    It was captivating for me too, when i was 11. Now it just seems to be small. i guess i would like to see more ships on both sides. maybe an alian or three fighting for the rebels to give us the sense of the overall opression of the empire.

24. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Yeah, I think one or two rubber-masked Rebel pilots in ANH would have helped the scope of it. It feels like it's just a bunch of white guys fighting each other, while all the aliens hang out in cantinas on backwater planets.

25. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    SW: The redundant dialog between Han and Jabba.

ESB: Luke's scream.

ROTJ: The crowds celebrating on the supposedly evacuated cloud city after the death star 2 was destroyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.