main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your least favourite bit of the OT

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Handmaiden-Kabe, May 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthgordon

Darthgordon Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    I've never noticed that before. That is a bit odd. Maybe only Lando and ice cream maker guy actually evacuated Bespin.

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    To quote a DVD-change: How is that possible? The space battles in TPM and RotS were busier (and TPM's only slightly so), but not really "faster, more intense". TPM's kinda stops in the middle with Anakin a sitting duck inside the droid ship. And RotS is "only" the approach (though a spectacular one) to a rescue mission, not a desperate attack to defend their entire organization by destroying the most evil weapon against all odds.

ANH's is in a way even more intense than RotJ's, as it's only the Death Star attack and not intercut with a ground battle and a duel.

I mean, RotS is my favorite movie opening ever, but the Battle of Yavin is my favorite climax, tied with the Throne Room stuff in RotJ.

I rarely say anything in these disputes anymore, because everyone's got an opinion, but if it's based on what you said, Sublime, they just must be making stuff up. There is no basis. It's like drinking mud for breakfast and saying it's superior to orange juice, when it's clearly not :p Have your unique tastes all you want, but don't let it out on the fresh, sweet orange juice [face_not_talking]

3. Na-heela

Na-heela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2007
    Exactly! Full stop. ;)

4. RustyHicks

RustyHicks Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2007
    The added Jabba scene in ANH.
    He just didn't look as mean as he did in ROTJ.
    In ROTJ the dance scene at Jabba's palace..
    It was just plain dumb...dumb...

5. SarlaccsDinnerParty

SarlaccsDinnerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2006
    Dont realy like the search for 3PO and the trash-compactor scenes that much. They are fun the first time but gets more booring with each time.

6. Endor_Commando

Endor_Commando Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    In Return of the Jedi,the stormtrooper that says.."Freeze.....don't move".
    It has always bothered me that it doesn't sound as though he is actually talking through a helmet.....and where is the 'click' of the voice transmitter after he has finished ?

7. lowbacca_solo_choice

lowbacca_solo_choice Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2007
  8. Jediknight_Wendy

Jediknight_Wendy Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2005
    Im ok with the dule between Obiwan and vader in ANH as i tend to look at it as instead of a delibated cyborg and old man with swords. I look at it as a calulated battle much like Samurai fight without alot of hopping and flashy stuff. Im ok for the Ewoks to fight the empire in ROTJ i think it shows that even little people can knock down a giant. I DON'T like that they where the cause of the victory i kinda wished we saw more reble troopers takeing out the empire and kinda showing a more ''realistic'' victory with the ewoks helping but the Rebellion doing the ''winning'' part.

the thing that irks me the most in the OT is
    1. The great ''dark slug'' that hangs on the robe of sidious in ROTJ. Once you notice it..you will never look at anything ele's in that scene. Even with the DVD release and the advent of digital technology they have not fixed this..you can copy past Christopher Lee's face on a stunt man and make completely realistic digital characters but you can't clean that up...come on

9. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    My only significant problem with the OT is the Ewoks. I do find it ridiculous that these two foot tall teddy bears, armed with sticks and stones, defeated the Empire's crack troops, and did it somewhat easily. It really makes the Empire look like a joke. I was 14 when I saw ROTJ in the theater, and I had already outgrown the phase where I might find the Ewoks cute and cool. It's as if Lucas created them just to sell toys to the kids. I don't mind the nature vs. technology message there, but it could have been done better. I'd heard that Lucas wanted to have this battle on Coruscant but there special effects weren't there. Too bad.
    My other issues are minor, and things I can overlook because I love the OT so much. In retrospect, the ANH lightsabre duel is kinda lame, true. The conversation between Obi-Wan and Luke about Anakin is flawed due to the PT, but I fault the PT, not the OT for that.
    Someone mentioned this which I wholeheartedly agree with: "The worst of the original trilogy has to be when the Imperials come out of the bunker in ROTJ and Han acts like he's going to hold up the whole infantry. Then the Ewoks pop out and he shrugs his shoulders with that dumb look on his face. I could almost hear the sitcom laugh track."
    Also, some people mentioned that Leia being Luke's sister was kinda lame, and I'm inclined to agree, but it doens't bother me too much. It is too coincidental, though. Also Obi-Wan not recognizing R2, but there are possible explanations for that.

Someone posted this "Yes, wookies would've been much better than Ewoks." I remember hearing a long time ago, that way back when, Lucas had envision Wookiees in the role that the Ewoks eventualy filled, but Lucas wanted a planet of primitives to help defeat the Empire, and that by the time of ROTJ, Wookiees had become too technologically advanced to fill that role.

As far as the SE changes, the Greedo scene is my main beef, and Luke screaming in ESB is pretty stupid too. That's about it.

10. sith_rhino

Jul 9, 2007
    I think there's a bit of dialogue about hitting a power reactor or something, so that should be why it explodes. I could be wrong, though.

11. WolverineOfTheORS

WolverineOfTheORS Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2006
    I've always hated the entertainment scenes in Jabba's Palace (ROTJ). So pointless, and so boring.

12. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    Ewoks and Jabbas palace are so boring i usually just ff through them..but then when i do that in ROTJ its pratically the whole movie im ff..ing through..:p

13. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    And you are wrong. Lando and Wedge talk about the power reactor of the Death Star and not the Executor. The Executor crew talk about the fact that they have lost their shield generator. The starfighters destroy the Executors shield generator, which brings us to something I also do not understand about Imperial Shipdesign. Why don't they construct the starship shield in such a fashion that it protects the generator producing the shield. It's about as clever as seeking cover in front of your bunker and not inside it.

14. Oclo_Placidus

Oclo_Placidus Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2005
    - I'm not going to go into the whole Ewok defeating the Empire thing, because I covered that in another topic and it is plausable.

- The ANH duel isn't a bad duel at all. Firstly, the actors have no reference point, and they're stupidly old. Secondly, it's not so much about winning the duel for the two characters, they're basically catching up, and feeling eachother out. Neither of them know the extent of their opponent's power, Vader is probably stronger but he's more cuatious remember, because he thought that on Mustafar and look how that turned out. Obi Wan is reluctant to make a move, deep down he still wants to see Vader as his old friend.

- Okay, the Anakin ghost doesn't annoy me so much, as that I just want to defend Sebastain Shaw. Firstly, when you turn into a Force Ghost (as the films would have it at least, taking out certain EU exemptions I believe) you remain in the state you were at death. Secondly, people moan about how they're annoyed at how the man behind the mask is some old guy that should be sitting in a retirement home. That's basically the whole point. The point is that the man behind the mask isn't evil at all, he's good, he's redeemed, he's not a villain. Shaw reperesents this well, if it had been some ogre of a human, then you'd still think there was some evil in him.

- Why doesn't Obi-Wan remember owning a droid? Okay, this did kind of annoy me at first, but you have to remember that Obi-Wan, through his years of living as a hermit and frantic change in lifestyle, has gone virtually insane. He's been training for years on how to become a Force Ghost, which would surely suffice as enough to make him go a little bit odd, given that it's something completly knew to him. Sure he did a few missions and what not during the time between 3 and 4, but really he's left a life of sollitude, away from using the Force frequently, and has been trying to probably block out alot of what happened in his life, during the Clone Wars, as they were so traumatic. A technique called a Flashburn that many Jedi Masters use.

What really bugs me?

Probably the Wampa in the un-eidted version of ESB. That's the version I have, and that bit really pisses me off. Shots of arms, of waists, of heads, of claws, of Luke pretending to see him infront of him ... put in one whole god damn shot!
    If it doesn't look believable, then you should've changed the guy in the suit to make it believable, I took Ackbar with a pinch of salt and it didn't work out toooooo bad.

Also, the bit in ANW in the Tantieve, it's literally 5 seconds. Artoo and 3P0 walk across a small hallway in the ship, as stormtroopers and rebels fire right down the line. The droids casually walk across, not mentioning anything about it, not looking to either side, showing no reaction and, to ask the obvious question, how the hell do they not get hit?

15. sith_rhino

Jul 9, 2007
    Because it's stormtroopers shooting at them. :)

16. Sith_Librarian

Sith_Librarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2007
    I'm usually falling asleep during or fast forwarding through all the Endor sequences

17. DuDisNow

DuDisNow Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2007
    The Ewoks. mini-wookies of fear!

18. Jetta

Jetta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2001
    Exactly my thoughts, Rusty. ;)

19. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    I also feel that the Jabba scene in ANH is completely unnecessary and actually kind of stupid. Jabb is this super crimeboss totally without scrupples or a conscience.

Han has dumped a cargo in space costing Jabba thousands of credits and on top of that he starts arguing with Jabba and then steps on his tail. Any other crimelord would have had his henchmen waste Solo after that.

I think the ANH scene makes Jabba even more out to be a clown instead of a crimelord than the other Jabba scenes.

20. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Well what was he going to say? "Oh yeah, this is the droid that flew with Anakin back in the old days, how r ya R2?" :p [face_laugh]

I think of this scene as Obi Wan pretending he doesnt remember, but deep down he does ;)

[face_laugh] indeed, that always made me laugh.

I dont like the new musical number in ROTJ at Jabba's palace... i got used to the old one, but the new one annoys me [face_frustrated]

21. Yoda_Friend

Yoda_Friend Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    The scene where Threepio and Artoo cross the hallway through a hail of laser fire is definitely not one of my favorite scenes. It makes me think, "How did the Old Republic let these guys win,anyway?"

22. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    1) Threepio and Artoo's adventures on Tatooine before they meet Luke and Owen - ANH

2) Luke's lessons with Yoda on Dagobah - TESB

3) The night at the Ewoks village - ROTJ

4) Inside Jabba's palace - ROTJ

5) Han and Leia's argument over Luke - ROTJ

6) The first half of the Battle of Yavin - ANH

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
  24. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Han and Leia have an argument over Luke? Is this on the new DVD or something?

Anyway, least favourite is Luke and Leia in the ewok camp. The most badly acted scene in the entire OT, a crimininally low-key reaction from Leia to the shocking revelation that Luke is her brother, with Carrie unfortunately just looking confused and then she says '...somehow I've always known'. Eh?

It's rendered even more dire by the fact that Leia's talking bollocks about their mother.

25. GeneralBryanMoonstar

GeneralBryanMoonstar Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2007

This is only true AFTER the PT has been created. Leia is refering to her mother on Alderaan, she doesn't know that that's not her real mother, just like she doesn't realise that Vader is her real father.

Best moments from the whole series:
    1. "No. I am your father!"
    2. Yoda lifting up the X-wing
    3. When Lando blasts out of the Second Death Star right before it blows to pieces
    4. The original celebration on Endor at the end of RoTJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.