main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azure_Edge

Azure_Edge Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    Tell us about your lightsaber... be it custom-built, replicated, or bought!

Mine started out as a replica of Obi-Wan's Episode I lightsaber, but I stopped working on it after I got the basic body finished, before adding in buttons, handgrips, or any of that nice stuff. I restarted it recently, but I'm making it my own. I'm going to add several extra dials on the upper part to represent intensity and blade length adjustment dials. I'm still going to cut the upper section and epoxy black tubing in behind it, but not in the same style as the original plans called for. I added a D-ring on the bottom for a belt clip, but I have yet to find a really good handgrip substitute.

I had one really good idea: I bought a snap nipple for a water tap from the hardware store, and I'm going to epoxy it to a washer and put it down inside the top of the tube. Now, instead of the flat disk the newer props had, you'll be able to look down into my lightsaber and see a pretty convincing "emitter tube". I'll have to get some pictures and Photoshop in a blade.

Tell everyone about YOUR lightsaber.

2. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Mine is a variant Style 4 Big Yellow Box design. Basically, I took the ideas given from that site and, since there were some things I couldn't find, had to improvise. Mine also has a pretty cool looking emitter - I removed the bulb from a replacement car headlight. It looks pretty good.

3. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Mine are all custom, but are greatly infulenced by existing styles. A lot of them have an emmiter similar to a Luke ANH saber, but have the cut-out grip like you see on the Episode 1 & 2 Obi Wan saber.

Here are some of mine (I've made about 20 or so)...

My personal saber (the one I usually carry) This one has a stainless outer casing, alluminum over grey PVC grip, and a wooden core. The emmiter is turned alluminum. It has a working chrome plated push-button switch, and I use Swivel Lock clips from Radio Shack as a sub for the Covertech clip.
    My personal saber

Next up is one of my double sabers. This one is all found parts. The body is a chrome plated sink drain, fitted with chrome bezel LED's and brass knobs from the lighting dept. at Lowe's. The emmiter ends are small shower heads. This one has a Nokia belt clip.
    My double saber

And a sample of a custom that I did for my good friend Niralle. She wanted a longer hilt, but not a double saber. She also wanted brass. So, I did this one for her. The body is a brass sink pipe (sanded off the chrome plate and then polished). The grip area is steel, with another layer of steel beneath that, and a wooden core. The pommell is a Ryobi string trimmer bump knob. It has a long emmitter shroud that is a seperate piece, rivetted on. A working push button switch, and a Swivel lock clip. This one also has a removeable dowell rod blade.
    Saber I made for Niralle

--Kai

4. InsolentFury

InsolentFury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 18, 2002
    Mine is a Variant of the style 3 Big yellow box saber. It has the diaginal emmiter shroud much like anakins. Ive yet to put buttons on it though.

5. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Mine is completely custom.The emmiter is a shower head. The upper grip is made from staked polywashers, coated with a black spray on rubber coating. The lower grip is a 1 1/2" chromed pipe with a plastic grip glued onto it. The pommel is a stop cap (guys, you've seen these on urinals)I acquired at a pipe supply store.

The guts of it include a wood block I turned on a lathe to give everything it's shape, an old bolt to give weight, a pipe nipple, and a peice of a lamp kit. I added a "recharge socket" to the upper receiver.

It's not the prettiest sabre, but it has a good feel to it. I have some design ideas for a few more when I have time and money to play with. Maybe I'll get soem pics online soon.

6. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hi Kai,

I like how the hilts of the sabres look. The cut out is quit elegant looking. Do you ahve some sort of metel lathe? If not how did you cut the metel material to these shapes? I'd like to do this as well but w/ my own design, however,. I haven't ANY metel machining equipment what so ever. I live in an apartment, NO space for any of it anyway. Can you offer some advice, tips etc so this padawan learner can build a sabre?
    jauhzmynn

7. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Mine is PVC with a sink knob as the pummel. An a few different size plugs are glued together for the Emitter

Here take a look.
    My saber

I have a similar saber with a end cap instead of a Sink knob that I like a lot too. I don't have a picture of that one handy.

8. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Thanks, Mynn.

Actually, no lathe work on my sabers. The cut out, as well as the "slots" in the grip, are done on a band saw. I have access to a full shop at work, so I go in there and play quite often...I've even forged some stuff in there on a small anvil, using a MAP gas torch for heating.

I'd be happy to help out in any way I can.

One thing I could advise you on is the purchase and use of a Dremmel tool. They are very versitile, and they are small (easy to use anywhere). You could easily do a saber in the style I'm fond of with a Dremmel.

--Kai

9. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Mine for Lady Maul is a variant on Big Yellow box Saber 8. I used sculpey premo for parts of it. I really like the hooks I used on the end of it, gave it a more evil look to it. Pics are on my website under Lady Maul.

10. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I made a set of four sabers for my fan film (though one pair is identical). All of these sabers have removable blades made from PVC w/wood dowel cores.

Saber #1 - for Padawan Rayne Lowray
    This was made from the handle from a garde tool from Sears. The black handle was painted silver, then sanded to result in a black handle with silver groves. The shaft above the handle was covered with a small electrical conduit joiner and the emitter is a shower faucet knob.

Saber #2 - for Jedi Knight Taite Lanni
    The grip is a stainless steal fork peg for doing tricks on a BMX bike. Above this is a medium electrical conduit joiner, painted black and filed to have a black piece with silver ridges. Finally, there are some plumbing washers on a chrome drain pipe inserted into the entire assemblely and cut at a 45' angle for the emitter.

Sabers #3&4 - for Sith Apprentice
    A plot element calls for these to start as individual sabers, then Pod Racer style energy binders are ignited to make them a set of saber-chucks. The core is a set of PVC practice karate nunchucks. The chains were cut and a removable chain is used when the "binders" are on. The chucks are covered with chrome drain pipes.

Here's a photo of the saber hilts and this test video (MOV 1.8Meg) shows how the Sith sabers are used in chucks mode. (The energy binder effect hasn't been added yet.)

Have fun!

11. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    You'er welcome Master Kai,
    So what's the stlye you'er fond of? Do you have a pic? I have NO access to a shop let alone band saws. I don't evne have a regualr hack saw. LOL!! ERGHHHHH. I hate not having a fully stocked tool cabinate. grrr. I think I can find a dremel at Home depote. Any particular brand you recommend? What do dremles usualy run in price?

Mynn

12. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Padawan Nick,
    Those are excellant sabers!

Mynn

13. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Mynn...
    Style of (dremel?)...Pic of (dremel?)...Nope, no pic of a dremel, but...

I'll have to check to see what brand our dremel is here at work. I believe that a basic one might be in the $40 range, but I'm really not sure. If and when you look for one, make sure it is multi-speed, and I personally prefer the corded versions as opposed to the cordless. For cutting out fine details, cut-off wheels on dremels are really good, plus you can do things like engraving with dremels...even etching glass.

--Kai

14. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    A friend of mine and I made our own custom sabers. You can check them out at my site. We like how they turned out. My friend has two more under construction, I'll post em when they're done. We will post a parts list soon. The parts range from the common to the bizarre.

The sabers you guys are posting look great!

Talon

15. G-4P0

G-4P0 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2000
    Cool sabers - my buddy and I have had fun guessing at the parts - so we can't wait until you have the list. Please reveal! ;-)

16. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    My current saber project is coming along quite nicely, thanks to my sithmistress wife Indil! We were at the local swap meet looking for photo flashguns and she found a piece of plumbing that looked to be a perfect start for a saber hilt, for only 50 cents! Then I found an antique flashlight with a d-ring built into the bottom, which also unscrews from the grip, for $3-! So after a trip to Home Depot for some rounded hex-head metal screws and some dremel time to connect the two pieces, it's well on its way. The head resembles Lukes ROTJ saber but with apertures underneath the crown on opposite sides, allowing you to see the blade as it leaves the emitter. I plan to ignite the saber using Lightech's kit in conjunction with some 2.3mm EL string light from coolneon.com ... going to run that inside the hilt, Parks echelon style, and have it show through some apertures I've dremeled into the hilt. My digicam is away this week, but I'll post pics next week when I get the cam back. By then the saber should be completed.

Oh yeah, my wife and I also have a customized Parks echelon and Parks Maelstom (green blade). Here's a nice picture of us:
    http://www.vw-mall.com/g60racer/JediG60racer_and_his_wife.jpg

17. Vader1029

Vader1029 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 11, 2002
    I have made 3 of the Big Yellow Box sabers and am working on the fourth. I have made slight modifications to each, some due to preference and some for lack of parts. I have also made a few totaly custom sabers from pvc plumbing parts. But, I am having a really hard time making custom sabers from metal parts used in most BYB sabers. Can anyone give me some insight on how you design and figure out what parts will work and which ones to use. I am a fairly creative person but am hitting a brick wall when it comes to this!!

18. Kolapi

Kolapi Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    Hello,

I'm trying to make a "Graflex" replica saber. I'm having problems getting the emitter cut-out just right. Can anyone tell me where I can find (or email me) a template for the emitter? I tried the PROJECT GRAFLEX site, but it's gone. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kolapi

Kolapi@msn.com

19. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Here ya go:

[image=http://www.hu.u-net.com/graflica/images/pattern.gif]

20. Kolapi

Kolapi Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    Thanks!

21. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    JediG60racer,

Park makes some nice sabres huh? Have you two deuled w/ them yet? If so, how ahve the two sbares faired during the battle? Cool pic too. Your wife is very pretty.
    My Park Sabre is the Echelon w/ a teal blade.

Enjoy the sabes.

Mynn
    May da' force be wichya'. hey I'm a brooklynite waddya' want from me.<VBG> JK

22. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    I had checked out a Sabre link forma site called "the Hilt". i saw a sabre that fit me well.

Check this pic out.

I hope it made it here. :D Now if i can see if parkSabre can make THIS one.
    If the pic didn't make it up, here's the link:

http://members.tripod.com/MousieDroid/Hilt/The_Hilt.html

This thing looks elegant.
    what do you guys and girls think?
    Mynn

23. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    hmmm...I think...that...I can't see a pic. You have an address for "The Hilt", but it's for the main page...which hilt is it that you liked.

I've been to that site, and there are a few that were pretty cool...

--Kai

24. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    No, the pic didn't make it up. Which saber is it?

I really like the site; I'm currently working on a simple design inspired by Vima's, Leia's, and Darth Exodus'. Very simple and sleek. My "cheap" saber is made from a bathroom pop-up drain assembly found at Wal-Mart for $9.94 that looks surprisingly like a lightsaber as it is. I've just got to rearrange where the parts are for the pommel and emitter, and replace the bolt on the side with something smaller.

25. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Aww nuts. Ok NP I'll try to repost the pic. Thanks for the link tip Stormtrooperleia, but you know WIndows can be a BIG pain in the backside at times. Even vetern PC users get impatient with it.

I do not like frames. <sighs>
    First one is Kryllon's sabre

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.