main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Very nice job! That's a BigYellowBox design, right? Well done.

2. FarmboyKatarn

FarmboyKatarn Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 26, 2001
    Go here for a pic of me in my Jedi costume and my newly finished lightsabre:

my profile

3. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Here is my first DarkSaber. I am almost completed, but having trouble thinking of how to finish the pommell. PM me with any suggestions.

My first saber, 1/2 done

4. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    my first sith saber looked really sweet! but the first day we sparred with it I broke it and didn't have pics of it before we started...my mistake.

5. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I'll have to upload my sabre pics later on, but here goes:

My first lightsabre is almost 14" long. I wanted more gripping room. It is fairly simple in design, similar to the prequel-era sabres. It is a long chrome-played brass tube with several exposed section revealing some ribbed gripping material, similar to Qui-Gon Jinn's lightsabre. It features a bell shaped emitter and a simple red button for activiation (with a ring for adjusting blade activation speed, similar to the slide controls on the Classic Trilogy sabres) a covertech clip is used for melt mounting and it features a large black semi-pointed pommel.

6. BroodMcEto

BroodMcEto Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2002
    Here's what I will build for my saber. It's what I think Anakin's saber will look like, a transition from Ep2 to Ep4.

[image=http:\\members.cox.net\tmcelroy2\pictures\Ep3ASsaber.jpg]

I borrowed some buttons from Venarhdi's Starseeker saber. Hope ya don't mind.

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Nah, its all good, just as long as you arent passing it off as yours, Im cool.

8. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    Hi, everyone! My lightsaber is a one-inch copper pipe aprox 13 inches in length. At the top is a 3/4 inch reducer for the blade to pass through. At the bottom, is a 5/8in reducer all soddered togather and a 15/16in pipe sleeved into that one to give the blade stability. The blade is 48 inches in length,3/4 in diameter, so aprox 3-feet sticks out. An eye bolt holds the wooden dowel in place. The blade is purple. The grip is black rubber strips. Ready for action!

9. jarik33

jarik33 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    BYB VII

[image=http://thedasofamily.com/jess/My%20saber.JPG]

And in action:

[image=http://thedasofamily.com/jess/Sabre%20Pic.JPG]

10. Amidala_wannabe

Amidala_wannabe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Two questions,

First, jarik33 How long are your blades, and what are they made of?

Second, Can someone give me a link to the Big Yellow Box?

Thanx

Shaden *^_^*

11. Cyonta

Cyonta Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    The main site I usually find to be down, so the mirror site is: Big Yellow Box

:D :D

12. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Finally Done!

My first saber is in the books!

check out the pix below.

Any questions, please PM!

Dark Saber

13. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Here's a couple of mine that I've not posted before...

[image=http://members.aol.com/kairhann/images/blacksaber2.jpg]
    This one (though it isn't visible in this pic) has red in the grips (the grip area has cuts that let the next layer show through, which in this case is red...)

[image=http://members.aol.com/kairhann/images/anakinmodified.jpg]
    This one is a modified Anakin/Luke ANH saber. The activation "block" is only half the normal thickness (much easier on the hand, less awkward)...the grips are cut from black PVC pipe...which worked nicely...Originally it was for a film (in which we needed an exact replica) when we ended up not using it, I modified it more to my liking...

--Kai

14. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    nicely made, but for my tastes I think it's a little too "busy" (then again, most sabers you see around are too plain). It's hard to find a happy medium. Or maybe I'm just too picky =)

15. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I finished a new saber last night. This one is a smaller saber made for my youngest son.

Pic1

pic2

16. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    I'm working on a new saber now. My biggest problem with traditional grips is you get one hand on the grip, and your top hand will just grab metal, which I don't find very comfortable. For my new one, I'm putting rubber o-rings about 8 inches up the hilt, which is 12 inches long. I'll post pics when I'm done with it.

17. Kaben_Jogu

Kaben_Jogu Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2002
    I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this or not, but I didn't want to risk starting a new thread, just in case...

Quite frankly, I'm brand-new to all this "stuff." It all started when I looked up "rotoscoping" and came across a billion how-tos featuring...lightsabers! I messed around with the idea, then decided that for future filming, I should have a respectable saber...so I started accumulating pieces (waiting for my Dremel to arrive now!); however, I do have some circuit-wiring questions that I wonder if anyone can answer:

I want to place 2 LEDs in my saber, using either a 9V battery or 4 1.5V (AA, 6V) for power. I'm wiring the LEDs in parallel. I've tested the wiring, and the things light up, but I think I'm killing the LEDs -- they're blue with the following specs: 3.7V typical, 4.5V max (each), drawing 20mA typical (each) or a max of 30mA (each)...Here's my question: Am I completely frying the crap out of my LEDs?! If anyone knows anything about wiring and would be able to tell me if I need to add resistors (and what impedance), or if I need to do something completely different? Right now, I'm using the 6V setup: initially the LEDs were blindingly bright; now, after only a few minutes of use, they're dimming. I would greatly appreciate any advice! Even a direction to turn in -- my math is lousy and, apparently, so is my understanding of V = RI! :)

18. sadpixie

sadpixie Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2002
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I want to hear your opinions about my custom-made-from-scratch lightsabers.

The last photo (IM002208.JPG) doesn't have any type of post-production effect. Do you wanna know how I did it?
    Just ask.

Spanish is my native language, so... sorry if you don't understand my english.

http://mx.photos.yahoo.com/bc/bossk7772000/lst?.dir=/Lightsaber

19. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Try going here. This is where I first learned about building lightsaber replicas, and not only do they give advice on building the hilt but also putting electronic components inside.

20. Stephan2312

Stephan2312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    Hi!

These are my lightsabers, most of them built for a fanfilm (hence the battle damage on some of them). They're all built from PVC pipes, then painted silver. The handgrips on Vader's and Luke's are made from rubber carrier straps.

Take a look:
    Picture

EDIT: link didn't work

21. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    WHOA! NICE! For PVC pipes those are AWESOME!
    what are carrier straps?

22. Stephan2312

Stephan2312 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    Thank you Chancellor!

Carrier straps is according to my English dictionary the right translation. But I'll try to explain. Those are binders for the back of your bike. So you can strap things like bags on it. Does that make any sense?

Stephan

23. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Carrier straps is correct in english, just that we don't use them too much in the USA... people who ride bicycles (or mopeds, motorcycles and scooters) for daily transportation and know the terms associated with common bike parts are a small minority here.

24. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    this weekend at the rmff meeting, I'll be making a double-bladed and a curve-hilt...I'll try to post pics as soon as possible after I get them finished.

25. Diva_Shaliqua

Diva_Shaliqua Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 16, 2002
    This is my lightsaber:

http://groups.msn.com/DivaShaliqua/attackoftheclonesscreening.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=142
    http://groups.msn.com/DivaShaliqua/attackoftheclonesscreening.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=143
    (Couldn't get links to work sorry)
    My friend made it for me in about 2 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.