Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. varza Jedi Master

star 4
    wow! I have been reading through the thread to just get an idea on some lightsabers since I am going to start working on my first one soon. And I am extremely impressed by everthing that has been done. I can only hope that I will mkae on as good. I am going to go with Style 3 over at Big Yellowbox (?) and change it to fit me a little better and my style. Really excited and even more so... I hope to see more of what is being done soon.
  2. Stephan2312 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you Headhunter!

It took about 5-6 days to make it all.

Try automotive spray paint, dries just in a few hours. Shame the paint is a bit scratched now by use and wear, too bad!

Stephan2312
  3. The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Knight

star 1
    [color=006699]Greetings enthusiasts of weapons of more elegant tymes,
    "Luuke" from The Lightsabre is hosting his 5th annual lightsabre competition. (He is accepting entries up until the end of March, 2003.) His site is a wonderful resource for lightsabre information and inspiration. Highly recommended.
    [image=http://www.paralada.org/Estonia_self/Estonia_images/SWgeek/Byss_Img/Ancient02sm.jpg]
    Enjoy.[/color]
  4. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Here is my concept sketch. It's the first one listed in the album. That's what I think my Lightsaber will look like when it's completed.
  5. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    hey Clone Emperor did you happen to by in one of the latest star wars insiders as the winners of a costume contest anyway yeah im starting on my lightsaber now its a pipe extension with a couple o rings and windshield wipers for grips and a blue led light in the side its my first one and its taking a while to get all the parts and stuff i had a question for wires leading from the batteries to the led do you need to tape some electrical tape so that the metal inside doesnt disrupt the leds or anything?if you no the answer or have any other tips for me it would be greatly appreciated
  6. The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Knight

star 1
    [color=006699]I am not very skilled with electronics, my partially melted holocron will attest to this. However, Forcebewitya, I feel confident to sugguest this advice in regard to wiring;
    1. It is best to sodder all your wired connections, much better than simply twisting wires together. (It is infuriating to have your blade konk-out in the middle of a duel.)
    2. Always provide some form of insulation for your exposed contact points, soddered or otherwise. Again, brushing up against the inside of your metal lightsabre could burn out your circuit.
    3. Electrical tape is made for this. Alternatively, one might consider using a glue gun to create a cushioning insulation cover.
    4. Lastly, put as much care in assembling and installing your electronics as you do in creating the prop. It makes a big difference.

And yes, the photo in the recent Batha Tracks , is of me at GenCon.
    Enjoy.[/color]
  7. DarthWeenie Jedi Master

star 4
    The metal on the inside of your saber will really mess you up ForceBeWitya. Electrical tape might not fully do the trick either. You could put like 4 or 5 layers of the tape. Or you could buy something called heatsink from an electronics store. Its like a tube that when you heat it up it melts and forms around whatevers inside it. You could put that around your electronics, and that might do the trick too. Best thing to do, is find some way to line the inside areas that might be affected with thin pliable rubber. Maybe if you bought some weather stripping (that rubber flap at the bottom of doors), you could cut off the bottom "flap" part and use that.
  8. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    Thank you all for the helpful lightsaber constructing hints I will definitly take them into account.

Forcebewitya!
  9. BroodMcEto Jedi Master

star 4
    TCE - Other than yours, obviously, which three do you like in Luuke's contest so far? I have to vote for #21 and #27, and of course yours. I don't care much for machined sabers because they lack that certain look that comes from scratch built ones. I can also see how BYB has influenced the majority of the entries. Not that it's a bad thing, I just wish people would embellish the format. Style 8, anyone? And don't get me started on square buttons... ugh.
  10. The_Clone_Emperor Jedi Knight

star 1
    [color=006699]I am afraid that my hilt has been disqualified, as per the rules of the competition. Luuke's contest does not permit sabre designs that have been publicly credited, as mine was. I wish it were else wise, but it is fair; judging could be skewed by the knowledge of who made the hilt. Lesson; read contest rules carefully. (After my disqualification notice I had to reread the contest rules thrice before I found the clause that killed my entry.)

A custom machine hilt can be very graceful. It is a matter of design. I also believe that hardware lightsabres are really in the spirit of the Jedi, being made by oneself from found and crafted objects. However, one must carefully select these objects; when one's pommel has arrows on it reading hot and cold, I feel it detracts from the idea of the elegant weapon.

I lost my vote when I was disqualified. But between you and those reading this, the maker of lightsabre entry 27, has my greatest respect.

Enjoy.[/color]
  11. DARTHLARS Force Ghost

star 4
    Speaking of the lightsaber contest, I think it would be good to mention that back in January/February, Luuke had problems with his email and several contest entries that were submitted back then were lost. In other words, if you had mailed an entry more than a month ago and you don't see it among the contest entries, then you should email it again.

If it was less than a month ago and you don't see it, you should not email it again - he just doesn't update the entries very often, and he might post your saber twice... Just look at entries #18 and #29. ;)

Too bad about your entry, The Clone Emperor. It would probably have won. It is a great piece of work.
  12. Jedi-Loreen Jedi Master

star 4
    DarthWeenie, your terminology was in correct. A "heatsink" is a metal device, usually with fins to provide more surface area, used to dissipate heat away from heat-sensitive electronic components like processor chips, ect.. I used to be an electronic technician, so I know what I'm talking about.

What you are referring to is called heat shrink tubing, available at RadioShack or other electronics stores. It is better than electrical tape, since it won't unwind. And it looks more professional, if anyone's going to see your work. I use it all the time, especially in the construction of my own home-made EL lightsaber blades. And it doesn't melt, unless you're heating it too much, it shrinks, hence the name, but be aware that it only shrinks as much as 50%, so be sure to use the right size for your wiring connections. Just don't forget to slide a piece onto one side of your connection, (not too close to where you'll be soldering, or the heat from the iron will start shrinking it before you are ready!) before you solder.

And the word is spelled solder, not sodder, just FYI.

I wish I could show pics of my latest EL bladed saber here, but I have also entered Luuke's Custom Saber Contest, and as per the rules, I cannot show it yet. I will come back and do so after the entries are judged.

I don't expect to win this contest, I know that there are better entries than mine, I just thought it would be fun to enter, especially because there are probably not many females who do so.

13. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey all, I think that out of the two that you thought were the best, I would have to say I like the orginal design of 21, I wanted to do that kind of beat up and worn down look to mine but couldnt find the right metal for it. I just really like that one the grip is really creative also.

Forcebwitya!
  14. BroodMcEto Jedi Master

star 4
    He finally posted (I guess) all the entries. Mine's up, but I'm not saying which one... just that from the other entries, I'll not be winning... But I know I definately won't be in last place.
  15. DarthFeldman Jedi Master

star 4
    I have 3 on there.. also not saying which ones.. And i WONT be winning either.. :)
  16. DARTHLARS Force Ghost

star 4
    The contest has been extended a month because of technical difficulties, and it is still accepting new entries until the end of April.
    Yet another month during which we can not show our sabers in this thread. :(

Entries #51 and #35 are there, but they don't have any thumbnails.
  17. UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    hey everyone... i am very very new to the whole costume thing...

i am building my first saber for a sith lord costume...

anyway, i can't find D rings, or thing PVC pipe... all i can find is that thick stuff... no 160psi only 600psi at two places now, home depot and OSH...

at yellow box he talks about louwes (sp?) do they have this stuff? there is not one near me so i dont want to drive there...

also where can i get spray plastid to spray on after i put thepvc on...

also where can i get a cheap riveter? and for how much?

basically i need help finding supplies...
  18. UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
  19. DarthGyos Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey guy,
    Almost everything you need is at HOme Depot, Lowes or Radio Shack. The "proper" PVC to fit a 1 1/4 " pipe into Ive found at Lowes only. MY suggestion to you is to map out everything you need and get online. Plumbing supply houses are GREAT sources. Also, call a local plumber and he might have scraps that aren't damaged, but just require paint. Keep it low budget and you'd be suprised what you will come up with. Example: I didnt like my Sith saber to be too light weight, so I used a hydraulic from a screen door instead of a 1 1/4 pipe. IT has great weight and addes authentcity. I bought a bunch of stuff and jut experimented with fittings, colors and pieces.

Most of all-HAVE FUN DOING IT!!
  20. krillindb Jedi Knight

star 1
    i can answer a couple of those ?'s.
    the spray on plastic is called plasti-dip.
    i got mine at lowes. they had it in spray(about$5.00) and the dip(about$9.00).

and as for a riveter, check sears they have hand "pop-riveters" for about $8.99.

hope that helps
  21. UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    cool... gonna try to buy online tomorrow...
  22. clee94 Jedi Knight

star 2
    im making my own lightsaber. but i have a small question. what should i best use for the grip?
  23. DarthFeldman Jedi Master

star 4
    depends on the hilt.. you got a pic so far?
    rubber O rings work well..
    you can find em at hardware stores
    also, some use a dremel and cut out sections of the main hilt.. and all pvc or whatever inside to create a qui-gon type grip
  24. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm in the process of making my lightsaber, and I got it all planned out. It's gonna be so cool!!! I'll post pics of it when I'm finished, so stay tuned!
  25. AlbinoTheGreat Jedi Padawan

Hi all I just ordered the deifance from Park-sabers from jeff he was nice. and helpfull . was aswome talking to him . I should get my saber is 6-8 weeks i sure hope i can wait that long.

any comments about the defiance?
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.