main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Mine's only 1-1/4".

2. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    i'll say again, those showerheads are 2 inches. and that pommel looks like a sink knob, those are 2 inches minimum

3. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    I have a couple knobs sitting around here in my room that are no more than 1 3/8 in DIA. You just have to look.

4. xwingband

xwingband Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2001
    I'm pretty sure he knows how to operate a ruler.:p Don't go telling him what he has because you don't know. There are plenty of knobs and shower heads under 2 inches.

5. neo_mp5

neo_mp5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2004
    if that sabre is 1 1/4 inches wide, it's far too short.

6. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    First, show thw BYB guy a little more respect. Ther is not one of us that was not inspired by his site.

Second, My all-chrome saber is being bagged on by a guy who made his out of Tape? I'm done here.

7. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    what did you use for the grip part on the bottom? I've been looking for plastic tubing that would fit around my saber hilt but can't find anything over 1" diameter.

8. LDS_JEDI

LDS_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2006
    I for one have to agree with you. The tape sabers are far too rough looking for my tastes, and the attitude just sucks. meh. I'm not letting that get me down... I just wish forums had an ignore button like chats do. [face_laugh]

9. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    As Stan Lee says, "Nuff said."

10. LDS_JEDI

Feb 10, 2006
    Saber question:

With the sink pipe as the hilt, what would you suggest for inscription work? I am thinking of making some sabers as gifts and would like to inscribe each one with the person's name in the Aura-Besh.

Thoughts?

11. Jo-Nich

Jo-Nich Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 25, 2005
    What about engraving it with an engraving pen?

12. xwingband

Aug 25, 2001
    Yup, a dedicated engraving pen would work. If you have a dremel you can buy a engraving bit. Acid etching is another option. Put wax on it then scrape the areas you want to be "engraved."

13. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I just upgraded my lightsaber by changing how it hangs off my belt loops. But the thing is, is that the emitter goes slightly past me knees. BTW, where could I get an engraving pen?

14. LDS_JEDI

Feb 10, 2006
    *smacks forhead* I never even thought that the Dremel would have such a bit.. :)

Thanks for the input folks!! Also, XWINGBAND, I was looking through your site, excellent stuff! I've been seriously considering the Covertech Clips.. but according to your estimated shipping thingy(technical term) the shipping about as much as 1.5 more clips... Any thoughts on that?

15. xwingband

Aug 25, 2001
    If you mean the shop in my sig that's Strydur's shop not mine.:p I'm doing some free advertising as a mod of the forum and I get around to various board while Strydur works. Seems to work too.:D

^^^In the forums. It's a unfortunate thing you have to do if you only want some small stuff... so buy more!:D

16. LDS_JEDI

Feb 10, 2006
    Alrighty thanks...

Yeah that is a bit of an awkward process.. and all that for a couple covertech clips.. I think I will look around and find some alternatives....

Thanks though.

17. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Cern, I cruise Dollar Tree and Deals for cheap $1 flashlights. The rubber grips will often slide off easily and the edges are finished so they look more professional. The ones I buy fit perfectly on a 1-1/4 inch pipe. The sink knob is barely larger and fits snugly over the rubber grip.

18. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    How long is the average single bladed lightsaber?

19. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I'd say 10-12 inches.. Not including the blade of course. lol

20. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Ah, mine's 13 inches long plus the lower power box thing like Obi-Wan's sabers but doesn't look the same.

21. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    My hardware EL saber that I built in 2002 is about 13". Except for the flange that I cut off, I used the entire 12" length of the 1 1/2" diameter sink pipe and added an emitter shroud that extends past the end.

I think the length is more of a personal preference, in a lot of ways. Somewhere around 10-13" seems to be the norm.

[image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/22b5d088.jpg]

[image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/ed11f448.jpg]

[image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/26147bc7.jpg]

No, that's not one of own blades. That last pic was taken before I started making my own EL blades. o_O

I got my grip inspiration from the BYB site, by the way. ;)

22. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    Mine are 12.5 inches

23. navarre1095

May 21, 2005
    My profound apologies!!! On occassion it turns out that Navarre doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. This would appear to be one of those times (mark your calendars). On 1/19/2006 in the thread " How can I biuld my own lightsaber?" I posted the following :

1 cheap flashlight from DEALS $1.00
    Get this stuff from Lowes
    1 8? x 1-1/2? sink tailpiece $6.87
    1 disposer gasket $1.94
    1 Deluxe shower head $6.18
    3 knurled nuts $1.75
    1 2-pak small metal sink handles $9.75
    1 Silver doorbell $4.98
    1 12? piece of 1/4" all-thread $0.78
    5 1-1/2? fender washers @ .18 each $0.90
    6 rubber hose washers (layin? in a drawer)
    6 1/4"nuts $0.24
    Total with 1 knob left over for the next $34.39
    The cheapo flashlights have interesting looking rubber grips which peel off easliy. BTW the onlt machining I had to do on this was to Dremel the doorbell to fit the pipe. I made a leather gasket to go around the base of the doorbell as well for an extra nice fit.Before you throw ANYTHING AT ALL away take a look at it for parts to scavenge for costumes & props.

That's 1-1/2 NOT 1-1/4. If your jedi powers can reach Indiana, you may force-choke me now.

24. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    I have!

25. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Hey, that looks great!

Mind if I ask what you used for hilt grip material?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.