Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin
  1. XGundam05 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Just like the hand-guards on broadswords/longswords/rapiers/katanas/tai chi blades/daggers/scimitars got in the way of their weilders:rolleyes: . Besides, if you saw just that hilt, no blade, would you be thinking "Hmm, can't tell if it's Jedi or Sith," or would you be thinking "Hmm, that's definetly Sith"? I think you're just jealous.:p
  2. xwingband Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, that's what they're meant to do.:p Don't want to cut off your hand do you?

It's hard to tell but the end curves too. Definatly Sith.
  3. navarre1095 Jedi Master

star 4
    The coat-hook thingies are a nice touch! What's the grip made from?
  4. xwingband Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well it's not mine and I wish I knew what to call the material though. He called it his "goth" saber so for all I know he cut up a t-shirt like that and sewed it together.
  5. GrimaOllak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Not all that special?? Let's see YOU make one then, Mr. Hotshot.

Grrr, comments like that just tick me right off. It may not look like much to you, but Nynthu poured his blood, sweat, and tears into making it, so at least try to show a little respect, hmm? :mad:

Personally I think Nynthu did a wonderful job on that saber, and although the coat hanger thingies wouldn't really function too well in the "Star Wars" world, I'm sure his hands will thank him when dueling with his buddies.

I got's to get my hands on one of those angled joint tube things, though. The subtle curve at the end really does it for me. Does anyone know the exact name of 'em? I've heard several now, and I don't know which is correct...
  6. CernStormrunner Jedi Master

star 4
  7. darthnave Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Amp down! What I meant were the "hand guards" are huge. And why would you need hand guards on a LIGHTSABER? Anyway Gundam, Sith can have any color they want by the way. Look at Exar Kun, he has a double bladed blue lightsaber in-yet he is a Sith.
  8. HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling

star 2
    It still looks awesome. Keep the pressure connector the way it is. It's great.

This could be an Empire-period sabre...put together with scrounged parts gotten on the down low by a Jedi in hiding.

Really, the effect is excellent.
  9. xwingband Jedi Youngling

star 2
    SO YOUR HAND DOESN'T GET CUT OFF. The ones in the movie are all very subtle but that's what their for. They are rather large but the hilt is extra long so it's not totally off.
  10. the_steve Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think he is saying that a lightsaber would cut right through the handguard to your hand.
  11. GrimaOllak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Well, as I said, I'm sure that the guards are there either for hand protection or simply for cool factor. As most of you have mentioned, if it were in the movie world, the guards would be useless against a saber blade.

If he's into heavy dueling, I think it's a pretty smart idea. I've fought with shinai without gloves or hand protection before, and the guards saved my poor hands from getting thwacked many times. I might also mention that that was a STUPID thing to do. It happened to be my wife that was "sparring" with me, and in retrospect, we're lucky to have come away from it with only bruises and a few cuts.

*waggles his finger* Remember kids, armor is your friend. Use it.
  12. navarre1095 Jedi Master

star 4
    There are a few saber-resistant metals in the SW universe so the guard idea is a valid one. As for the nifty shape of that tube, I believe that it is part of an S-TRAP. I've been eyeballin' those tubes myself.

The link won't cooperate. Go to Home Depot and type in "chrome s-trap".
  13. darthnave Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Precisely. Plus for me the "guards" would get in the way because I use my lightsaber in the fancy way. I twist it around and stuff like that and I don't even hit myself (unless it's a double blade). but if I had those "hand guards" I would end up hurting myself and I wouldn't be able to use it the way I usually do. Plus they're big. Or so it seems from the picture. And by the way, the guy that made that thing has no info about himself or has even posted once!
  14. GrimaOllak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    That's because Nynthu posts at the TCSS forum, which is where he also posted pics of that saber. I'm not sure if he has a username here or not.

Hey Nynthu, if you're here, give us a sign! ;)

@Navarre: Good call on the S Trap! Although I wish they made 'em in 22 gauge instead of 20, since that's the kind of pipe I use as a base. Dunno if it'll make much difference, though, so it's still worth a shot. Thanks for the info, sir!
  15. CernStormrunner Jedi Master

star 4
    http://users.adelphia.net/~dwkla/images/Nynthu01.jpg

Almost looks like a "Manji Sai"

[image=http://www.kyudokan.us/pages/07-kobudo/wp-si-50.jpg]
  16. xwingband Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Yeah, I just grabbed that link because if anything has screamed Sith to me it was his saber. I had no idea if he posted here which is why I linked it.

I was also refering to protecting your own hand from slipping up and grabbing the blade. Of course it would be quite useless against another saber from plowing right through it...

Also it's entirely possible that despite the size it would be used like Dooku's, one-handed. That way you hold slightly above the curved section and rotate it. The guards would never get in the way.:D
  17. XGundam05 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Well Nave, asides from the humorous fact of your name, I would say that you are just jealous. Think about it like this: they don't get in Nynthu's way, they can be used offensively as well as defensively, and with a little bit of cortosis ore, they would be perfectly useable in the Star Wars universe. So, those "dookikis" are actually pretty useful and cool.
  18. batkins182 Jedi Knight

star 4
    My Saber

[image=http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/batkins182/FullView.jpg] [image=http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/batkins182/StuntSaber01.jpg] [image=http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/batkins182/StuntSaber02.jpg] [image=http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b350/batkins182/StuntSaber03.jpg]
  19. darthnave Jedi Padawan

star 4
  20. darthnave Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The thing you are thinking of is spelt knave not nave. And Nave is my name spelt sdrawkcab.
  21. XGundam05 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I know it's spelled knave and not nave, but say them both out loud and you can't tell the difference now can you?
  22. darthnave Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Sorry gosh! Anyway nice saber batkins, makes me think of Adi Gallia's.
  23. darthnave Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What do you people here usually use for an endcap? I decided to make some changes to my saber. Including the emitter which I don't have so it really can't be considered a change.
  24. GrimaOllak Jedi Youngling

star 1
    For endcaps, the most common route is either a metal hole plug or a sink knob (like the hot/cold ones you see on the bathroom sink). But if you want to step outside the box, practically anything round and cylindrical could be used.

In case you don't know what the metal hole plugs are, here's an example:
    :edit: Umm... link doesn't seem to work, so try this one:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=38

For the sink knobs, any hardware store has lots of 'em.

@batkins: Great job, man! Is the battle damage intentional or accidental? Because it looks like that saber has seen some action (I say that as a good thing). =D=
  25. the_steve Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Batkins bought that saber. He didn't make it.
Moderators: Briannakin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.