main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Dude, wonderful ancient-type sabre! What's it made out of? Does it have a matching "power pack?"

2. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    It's made of curled up plastic bottle heated so it would stay that way (maybe not so good an idea as it can burn). I thought about making a power pack to go with it, but never did.

3. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    I wouldn't.

4. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Why not? Since the Ancient lightsaber did have them.

5. Ebonhawksmuggler92

Ebonhawksmuggler92 Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2006
    I have two lightsabers. One is a custom built replica graflex and another is a lightsaber i built to my personality. They both light up. The graflex is blue of course and the custom is redder than Darth Maul's skin.

6. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Yeah, the original lightsabers. Not the KotOR ones. Besides I think that they are pointless and the wire would hinder my movements. I'm a quick slasher. And I like to flip my saber around.

7. xwingband

xwingband Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 25, 2001
    Well, he's not you and a lot of your opinions are based on how YOU like to fight. Your style doesn't mean jack to him. I bet you don't have much sword training anyway so your "style" is all in your mind anyway...

It's a plastic bottle anyway. Not exactly duelworthy in the first place in addition to not having a blade.

8. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Here is my latest LED MHS hilt. I installed a 3W "Royal Blue" LED.

The comparison shot is with an unmodded Ep.III Anakin MR FFX. Cameras aren't very good at properly capturing ignited lightsabers. [:(][V] The MR-FX isn't that bright, and the LED is much more evenly lit. Oh well.

[image=http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/SW_Gear/IMG_0462_small_cropped.jpg]
    [image=http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/SW_Gear/IMG_0471_small_cropped.jpg]
    [image=http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/SW_Gear/IMG_0473_small_cropped.jpg]
    [image=http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/SW_Gear/IMG_0470_small_cropped.jpg]
    [image=http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/SW_Gear/IMG_0466_small_cropped.jpg]

9. GrimaOllak

GrimaOllak Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2005
    Excellent job, JR. The royal blue is a good choice as well; seems to perfectly complete the design.

By the by, where in the world did you find O-rings that big? The largest I can seem to find is right around 1 inch, and even those are in "mixed" packages with lots of smaller rings.

10. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Your face. And I wasn't "jacking" him. All I said was
    I'm already in a mood so do me a favor and back off. Thanks.

11. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    Now, children, I WILL turn this thread around if y'all don't play nice. :D

Sky, that's a good looking saber. ESPECIALLY good considering what it started out as. What did you use for the crytal in the emitter?

12. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Thanks!

In the city I (locally) buy my hardware parts, there is a great plumbing store, called Plumbfull. They sell at least 20 sizes of o-rings. *LOL* I seem to be in competition for a certain size with some paintball guy. I hear the story every time I go in, how this other guy buys like 200 at once, and gets a deal.

I bet McMaster-Carr has o-rings a-plenty!

13. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    The crystal's the plastic "crystal" bead. I think they're used to decorate wind chimes.

14. the_steve

the_steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2005
    Not sure where else to post this, but if you are making a graflex replica, i have an idea. Just file these down to roundness, and bend them outward and you have the little prongs that stick out of the emitter shroud.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062220&cp=&origkw=9 volt battery holder&kw=9 volt battery holder&parentPage=search

15. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    That's another inventive idea that you've come up with. You're pretty resourceful. :) ;)

16. the_steve

the_steve Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2005
    actually, my dad came up with it.:) I printed out the template because i found out that my dad actually has a dremel in the garage, so i can make a graflex. I showed him the pictures of the graflex and he said "Hey, i've got something like those" I was confused, but now i know.

17. darth_grida

darth_grida Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Here is my custom saber, it doesnt look very good compared to everyone elses!, But anyway, It is made of Polished Steel tube, with a hardware emitter. The bock on the lightsaber is from an old toy, and that is based on a second layer of steel around the primary hilt. Also it has the top off of a tap, for the pommel, and blast-tech Darth Vader grips, anyway theres my saber,

[image=http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5240/zzzzz999995jc.jpg]

Many Thanks

Darth Grida

18. darth_grida

darth_grida Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 29, 2005
    Sorry about this second message but i posted the same one twice [face_blush]

19. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Looks like this thread needed a bump anyway so this works out well.

I FINALLY got my lightsabre tutorial up on YouTube. This means now that all you folks stuck with Windows, which doesn't handle QuickTime very gracefully, will now be able to check the tutorial out. It is in four parts, but thanks to the magic of YouTube playlists, I can "stitch it back together" for you lovely people.

YouTube Lightsabre Tutorial Playlist by Ms. Geek, aka the Hardware Store Jedi.

The circle is now complete. I can get back to my college stuff now. The space on the hard drive of that G5 at Woodbury has now opened up for someone else to use for temp storage, just in time for the architecture and animation students to put their finishing touches on their final projects.

And then, once Spring 2006 semester is in the books, I can collapse in a quivering heap. Until I have to get ready for Anime Expo and San Diego Comic-Con. Boo. Yah.

20. donsolo

donsolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2004
    are you kiding? That looks great! Do you have any other pictures of it?

21. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I think he was being modest...

22. XGundam05

XGundam05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    Bull! Anyways, now you gotta put a blade on that sucker!

23. RYAN-J

RYAN-J Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2006
    Here's a few sabers I am working on.[image=http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j201/RYJALI/Lightsaberhilts.jpg]

RYAN J.

24. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    What did(are) you using for the saber on the left?

25. RYAN-J

RYAN-J Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2006
    The Obi-Wan Kenobi Saber on the left is made out of a Swimming dock pole painted black in some areas, some copper tubing, a short piece of dock pole for the emitter head and a BIG washer for the Emitter top, and a couple of Screws I found in a bucket. It's amazing what you can do with Everyday common items isn't it?
    if you have any more questions just ask!!

RYAN J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.