main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Your Lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Azure_Edge, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XGundam05

XGundam05 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2006
    Here's a pic of the sabers I have made which are currently in my possesion...
    [image=http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/XGundam05/Picture004.jpg]
    ...and a pic of my LED saber lit...
    [image=http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f129/XGundam05/Lightsaber007.jpg]

2. JediKnightGareth

JediKnightGareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/Guitarthief/saberbase.png
    I am currently working on bringing this to life. I eventually intend for it to have an amber LED blade. BTW "Gakki" is my handel on almost anyother board.

3. guitarguru87

guitarguru87 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2007
    I realize I'm bumping this thread a bit (but it is good enough that people don't mind). I came to it to get ideas for my saber which I'm in the process of brainstorming. I was planning on adding o-rings to the grip, just like other people were doing, but What I'm planning on doing is spacing them about a quarter inch apart and have them slightly inset into the hilt. I'm (hopefully) going to be getting a few Heiland flash handles on ebay, and I was wondering if there is an easy way to cut nice, straight grooves all the way around in something like that which are wide enough to wedge an o-ring in, which would then be glued for insurance. A miter box was my first guess, but I realized that the groove wouldn't be thick enough. I'm also wondering about doing something similar to a sink tailpiece for my second, which a lot of you are using.

Thanks for the help!

4. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Well the best way is with a lathe. You might want to check around near you to see if there are any machine shops willing to cut you a few grooves for a couple bucks. If you could hold out for a couple weeks or so I'd be willing to do it for you.

5. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    You won't really be able to cut grooves into a sink tail piece, the metal's too thin for that. But what you could do, is make some indentations in it by using a tubing cutter, like this:
    [image=http://www.toolbarn.com/images//ridgid/32910.jpg]

You would have to be very careful with the amount of pressure you used, or you'd end up actually cutting the tube.

Having access to a used one with a dull cutting wheel would actually be ideal, in this case.

6. guitarguru87

Apr 20, 2007
    That's what I was afraid of.

I had never thought of using a dull blade before. I work at hardware store, and the tubing cutters we have behind the counter get their blades changed out very often, so that might work in a pinch.

Now, if I could use it on the flash handle as well, I could do it over and over, moving along the hilt. Hmmmmm...the possibilities!

7. TheMuffin

TheMuffin Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2005
    Are the Heiland Flashes as thin as a sink tube? I mean I've put grooves in 1/16" wall pipe before.

8. guitarguru87

Apr 20, 2007
    Well, I haven't seen one in person at this point, but I would assume that it is at least a bit thicker, maybe 1/8", considering the amount of electronics inside.

9. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    I'm about 99% doone with mine. just a few more tweaks.

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/472036445_98fa8aed9c.jpg]

[image=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/174/472036373_b3f63a2c91.jpg]

10. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    That's cool, but I would think those screws sticking up in the middle of the hilt would get annoying. [face_worried]

11. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    They're not so bad. My hands rest above and below that part, and they aren't sticking up that much.

It's nice to be able to basically break the hilt in half. Way easier to get at the insides that way.

12. DarthCemeroX

DarthCemeroX Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    I have a question. I am looking at some Parks sabers. Im leaning towards either SHADOW, Fusion, or Rogue. But either way, i was wondering, if those blade hold up well. Like not like a wooden dowel or carbon rods or suttin like that. But can they hold up in a duel?

13. Hasid-Lafre

Hasid-Lafre Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2007
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2946

14. Hasid-Lafre

Jul 11, 2007
    Yes they can hold up. el blades have been holding up for years, but at the cost of a parks saber you could build an led saber.

El is getting to be old tech and still costs the same no matter how old its gonna get.

15. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    plus according to folks i have read about on the parks sabers, hes not such a great person nowadays to deal with.

16. Hasid-Lafre

Jul 11, 2007
    I dont know about that but yoda at fx sabers seems to be good friends with him.

I have made an update on my saber.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2946

17. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    well its just things i have read on the TCSS, over on the RPF, and i think there was mention, maybe on the SLD. dont know bout STT since im no longer on that forum.

the main bad stuff i read was RPF tho.

18. Hasid-Lafre

Jul 11, 2007
    I looked over at rpf and dident see much of intresting to note intelagence.

Anyway Iam not gonna buy an elsaber just to spend about 200$ to make it a lux saber.

Hell with that.

19. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Huh? :confused:

The threads being referred to happened a couple of years ago, so they'd be well buried by now.

20. Ti-el_Terall

Ti-el_Terall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    Basically this is what went down.

Member of RPF had a real MPP that he paid $800 for. Parks asked if he could borrow it to make his replicas out of. After awhile the guy asked for the saber back and Parks didnt reply. After many months and emails he finally got his saber back, but it had had some of the original parts replaced with repro ones. Basically Parks couldnt do much because this all happened in his factory and it was "out of his hands". So, the guy basically got ripped and Parks didnt really make it right, but it wasnt entirly his fault, but the saber was his responsability.

Anouther thing was on a group order of the parts that make droid callers, they werent sent out for a very long time. So some people have had problems with parks, some of them major. I still buy his stuff, and see no need to boycot him. He can just be a little hard to deal with but thats about it.

21. Hasid-Lafre

Jul 11, 2007
    Well its kinda his fault too and for one noone in there right mind would spend 800$ for an mpp.

I dont care how rare they are noone should spend 800$ for a camara battery case.

22. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    It's not a camera battery case. :rolleyes: It's a flash gun tube, like a Graflex is.

I still don't know know why someone would pay that much for one, though.

23. LAN-ED-TUL

Oct 28, 2005
    from what i understood, he paid that much because it was a screen used saber, that he managed to get ahold of. rare case i know, but according to what i read, it WAS screen used.

24. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I very much doubt it was screen-used. I followed the discussion on RPF and never saw that mentioned. I really think I would have seen it if it was.
    The MPP flash tubes were made in quite a few variations, so the exact variation that is true the movie is rare. These days they usually sell on eBay for at least $400, but they have been sold at over $1000 at times closer to a movie premiere.
    If it really had been a screen-used saber, I think you would have to add two zeroes to the price.

25. Rynne_Lunasol

Rynne_Lunasol Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2007
    Hello everyone, I'm in the process of creating a lightsaber/cue stick or pool stick if you will and I hope to show it here someday. I don't know where to begin though..should I work on finding a lightsaber first or should I work on the cue stick itself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.