Your List of the Top Instrumentalists...

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediUruviel, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediUruviel Jedi Master

star 4
    Which instrumentalists are the best at what they play in your opinion? Here's my list:

Trumpet: Wynton Marsalis

Violin: Itzhak Perlman

Piano: Arthur Rubenstein
  2. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    You forgot drummers...
  3. YoungAngus Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Guitar: Vinnie Moore, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani
  4. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    YES
  5. HELLMOUTH Jedi Knight

6. werewook Jedi Knight

star 2
    Bass guitar: Victor Wooten

Drums: Brann Dailor

Guitar: Too many people of comparable, yet different skills.
  7. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    If I actually practiced and worked on my skills like I should have, i'd say that i'm the greatest saxophone player in my opinion.
  8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Discuss, don't just list.
  9. CaptainBinaca Force Ghost

star 3
    Agreed with all, though on some days I'd put Miles Davis as Trumpet.
    Addendums:

Saxophone: Charlie "Bird" Parker

Drums: Buddy Rich

Guitar: Al DiMeola-- I remember reading once that Chick Corea actually disliked Al's playing, thought it was too "rock".

Anyone not familiar with fusion should check out Return to Forever. How's this for a line-up of instrumentalists: Chick on keys, Al on guitar, the incomparable Stanley Clarke on Bass and Lenny White on drums (the band had other great lineups, but this one was responsible for some of the most freakishly complex jazz/rock you'll ever hear.)

BTW, Stanley Clarke credits himself for inventing the slap-and-pop technique for bass. Larry Graham might have something to say about that, but if it's true it might just make Stanley the most influential Bass guitarist of all time.
  10. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Alright, let's see then.

Trumpet: Miles Davis, with a caveat. That caveat being that he was more gifted as a bandleader and composer than trumpeter. If we are talking solely 'chops', here, then Dizzy Gilespie.

Saxophone: John Coltrane. No-one comes close. Ever.

Piano: Herbie Hancock. While strongly influenced by Thelonious Monk, Hancock to me is the more interesting and consistently good. He has had a few misfires, though.

Drums: Probably Gene Krupa, but I'm not 100% on this one.

Bass: Flea. How one man can continually play interesting, challenging lines while still enhancing the music is beyond me.

Guitar: Tie between Django Reinhardt, Jimi Hendrix.

Vocals: I couldn't possibly pick a number one, but definitely up there are Jeff Buckley, Muddy Waters, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and Thom Yorke
  11. Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Drums:Aaron Gillespie

Guitar:Synyster Gates

bass:Flea

vocals:Freddie Mercury or Davey Havok
  12. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I take it none of you, mentioning bassplayers, have ever even heard of Les Claypool?
  13. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I have. I just think Wooten is better. His bass lines are by far the most insane. I'm a pretty good bassist and I can play some RHCP and Primus stuff, but I can't play Wooten's songs. Also he's a great improv player.
  14. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Of course I have. Too much listening to Primus will send any bass player insane. :p

But, like RW, I simply prefer Flea. He's less in-your-face.
  15. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Word, brutha.

Anyways...

Guitar: Tie between Django Reinhardt and Jimmy Page. Page's style and tone is perfect, IMO. His solos are beautiful (the true solos, not his lead work), and he's just so...awesome!

Reinhardt is up there, too. His technique cannnot be beat, and Minor Swing is never dull or repetitive for me.

Bass: Geddy Lee (talented singer, talented composer, and can keep a good beat. Watch a live vid of YYZ)

Drums: Has to be John Henry Bonham - some may argue Mike Portnoy, but Bonham is where it all began: power, speed, but most of all, a cohesion with the rest of the band. He's followed by a close second of Neil Peart.

16. Aquila_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  17. JediUruviel Jedi Master

star 4
    Truth be told, I'm only knowledgeable of Classical musicians.
  18. CaptainBinaca Force Ghost

star 3
    When I played Bass as a teenager I thought Claypool was the be-all, end-all. Now, I still believe the man is a gifted musician, capable of things that still confound me. But Wooten blows him out of the water. Check out "A Show of Hands" or "Soul Circus" or any of his work wih the Flecktones, it'll blow you're mind if you're into serious bass playing.
  19. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    Charlie Parker would give him a run for his money, but since Coltrane plays tenor sax and Parker plays alto sax, it's a tough call. But, if they are like me or any other saxophone players that I know, they are probably well versed in at least one or two of the other members of the saxophone family.

Seeing those two in a saxophone battle would be all sorts of badass. It's too bad that it'll never happen.
  20. YoungAngus Jedi Youngling

star 5
    QFT. DiMeola is an amazing guitar player. Have you ever heard the live album he did with John Mclaughlin and Paco De Lucia? Live in San Fran IIRC, fantastic guitar playing.
  21. Mariu Jedi Knight

star 2
    violinist: Arthur Grumiaux

pianist: Alfred Cortot

cellist: pablo casals
  22. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I heard of that album Angus. On a scale of 1 - 10, where is it?
  23. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6

I've never liked Charlie Parker and his music all that much. Coltrane has much more soul.
  24. YoungAngus Jedi Youngling

star 5
    In terms of fantastic guitar playing, about an 11. I know you play the insturment, so you will probaly appreciate the album a lot more then others would.
  25. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    Cool. I'm assuming it's jazzier stuff? Flamenco?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.