main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Your Local Band Heroes (go the Spirits!)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    The other night, I was out in town and got thinking about all the Local bands I used to love- some which have gone onto bigger things like the Panics and yes, even Jebediah dagnammit.

has anyone else had that "I liked them when they were obscure!!!!!!" feeling?

A few of my faves are getting bigger, like Crawlspace and the Screwtop Detonators and the Meaning of.

am I gonna be the only person posting in this thread???

awww.

BTW check out this awesome band of 7 and 8 year olds called the Flairz. They are so cute but they're AWESOME! http://www.theflairz.com/

2. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    [image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE/The_Flairz.jpg]
    LOOK AT THEM!!!! I wanna have rock kids.[face_dancing]

3. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    :eek:

*squees* My band! [face_dancing]

Anyway...

I'd have to say some of my fave local bands are The Suns (funky rock skaness from 3 singapore boys who all live here now and come together over songs about curry and howmuch they love it!) www.thesunsrock.com, Yidcore (jewish punk band) and pretty much anyone who has the guts to go down to my local on open mike night and bash out a few songs.

I will wholeheartedly support this thread because I love getting told about bands, so I can go see them myself!

4. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    I admit, I'm starting to widen my musical knowledge, so following the local scene will be interesting if not entertaining.

Go The Spirits!!

5. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Yay! Kart you have to come with me next time the Fuzz are playing nearby. They're you're kinda band my friend!

The Flairz site has some mp3 samples of their music if you wanna listen.

(keep in mind they are kids but they're still pretty awesome!)

6. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    D/ling some of those Flairz mp3's now. Those kids aren't half bad!

I can certainly relate to that feeling, Johnnage. Although it's getting a lot harder with heaps of bands gaining attention off their first album (or EP). There's been a lot of aussie stuff recently like Little Birdy, The Cat Empire, Hilltop Hoods, Jet, Pete Murray, Missy Higgins, The Butterfly Effect Evermore (ok, they're NZers, but really that's just the poor little Australian province that's lost it's way... ;) :p ).

Then there's the bands that have been around for a bit, but are still old favourites, like Magic Dirt, The Living End, Grinspoon, Skulker, Jebediah (of course), etc..

7. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Ahh, Magic Dirt! I used to go see them before they were famous, and they were much heavier stuff. I still like them now of course, but it makes me giggle to think little Ole Geelong has a famous band out there :p

8. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I remember watching them on Recovery

(which was the coolest show on T.V!)

9. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    ohhh, I miss old Recovery! I went to be in the studio audience one time...it was so cool. Mach Pelican were playing as the house band... [face_love]

Its nice to see that Lee the film geek went on to bigger and better things though :D

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    That Recovery guy with the pierced eyebrow still freaks me out.

11. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    wasn't he on celebrity big brother?

12. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Yeah but leigh Whannell, who was the movie reviewer guy co wrote and starred in the Hit Horror movie "Saw" and I believe has also worked on it's upcoming sequel.

13. sith-lord-dore

sith-lord-dore Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    Preshunk for me

14. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Beaverloop was a huge one for me... but they broke up a number of years back...

and also i have always loved Four Floor Collapse :)

oh and Spencer Tracy coz my mates were in it :) haha

15. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    I loved beaverloop. That song that sounded like the Caramelo Koala song!

Yeahh! I remember them being on Recovery too.

16. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I am sadly old enough to remember You Am I from their heavier, pre 'sound as ever' days. It's quite sad, the path they've taken...

Currently my biggest local band hero is 'Gentle Ben and his Sensitive Side' which I highly recommend catching if they're ever in your neighbourhood (Melbourne October 21st Tote Hotel w/ Rowland S. Howard, Mans Ruin Burlesque, The Bakelite Age, The Tijuana Bibles Adelaide October 22nd Crown and Anchor Hotel w/ The Pharaohs and The Boats Sydney November 25th HopetounThe Mares, The Exiles)

You might also recognise one of their toons from 'last man standing', which I watch occassionally due to the fact that - when unable to sleep - it is better than a sedative.

New album "Sober Light of Day' out now on Spooky Records!

17. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Spooky eh?

I'm going to see the Hives on Monday night, but they're playing at some stupid club where all the Dimitris hang out.

Fully Sick mate SUBWOOFA!!!!

18. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Hey, I know them! :D In a really 6 degrees way :p My housemate's going out with the brother of the singer...yeah, okay Lameness.

And Ooh, Gentle Ben! I've seen them a couple of times actually, very cool :)

And in 'Spirits' news, we have two originals to work on now, thanks to your truely. Yes, they DO suck a lot, but hey, its cheesepunk, we don't NEED to be good :p

19. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Yeah i knew four floor before they were really cranking... went to a heap of there gigs... got mates with callum(manager at the time).. then started doing a shift work job and couldnt go anymore :( but I have a few of there EP's :)

20. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Does Anyone in W.A remember Speed Racer??? or Heathcliffe???

21. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    I remember back in high school wondering why everyone didn't adore Xavier Rudd, and was stoked when I got to uni to find other people who loved him as well. He's beginning to break through now, so people are starting to take notice. (Probably a bad thing)

I second Pulsar's nod to The Suns. They rock out the room.

Props also to local Melbourne talent such as 'Accessory' and 'Basil', both of which have sweeped a swag of local band comps around victoria and are getting regular gigs around town. Watch out for 'em!

Collusion are a little bit further back in development, but are getting some semi-regular support gigs at the Laundry.

Will post more when they come to mind. 'Carn local music! ;)

22. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I saw Xavier at Sturt Street Blues in Ballarat with seven other people in the room. No way you'd get that today.

I'm actually not a fan of Mr Rudd. He's good, sure, but after seeing him 12 times (yes, I've counted) he starts to loose his appeal.

And why the hell does everyone in the crowd go off when he puts his head back and goes: "Le le le le". GET OVER HIM!!!!!

Sorry. I'll take my medication now.

23. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
  24. JOHNNAGE_THE_BRAVE

May 23, 2005
    Well, they're not local, but I'm off to see the Hives tonight, So I'm braving the stupid venue they're playing at to see them play... Damn Chazzwazzers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.