Your Method of Working

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Lord_Charisma, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Lord_Charisma Jedi Master

star 4
    Now, until recently, my working plan for any effects / editing I had to do was just "whenever I can, in my spare time". Now, I've been introduced to what I call "Power Working" by my brother's friend. Him and my brother are website designers by trade, and their method is this: Arrive at the location for the work (usually his home, where there are many computers in the same room available), after the normal working day. On the way, buy several bottled of Red Bull/Red Rooster/name your energy drink. Then sit, drinking the caffiene goodness, for eight ours straight, all night, with a break at around 3 AM for a coffee and a sandwich.

I've recently made a short film with my brother's friend, and "Power Working" really has helped - filled to the brim with caffiene and concentrated on your work, you can get a lot done. We got what I would estimate would normally be three weeks worth of work done in the space of two "Power Working" nights.

What other methods of getting the job done do people use?
  2. The_Mathematician Jedi Knight

star 2
    Whoa -- that is VERY close to what I do...
  3. RIPLEY426 Jedi Master

star 4
    I´ve got 4 days lift to finsih editing AND sound editing on the last two remaining sequences of my movie... Holy crap! WHERE IS THE COFFEE??????
  4. Funk-E Force Ghost

star 6
    I find that whips usually work pretty well, when you're not working alone, anyway.

I have a friend who does something remarkably similar to yours, though he fuels himself throughout the day with several two-liter bottles of Diet Coke.
  5. DMPjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I would do that in the summer or on a weekend. Dang I wish I didn't have school tomorrow, I could get the remaining work on the Movie Spoof 2 trailer shots done!

What the hell am I surfing the boards for?
    *runs before Joe whips him*
  6. Film_Student Jedi Knight

Unlike a lot of you people, I don't use caffiene to keep me up. I use ICED TEA! hahaha Just kidding!

Seriously, power working can be helpful if you need to get something done real quick. Though, the best way to get any amount of work done is to chip away at it piece by piece. You have 3 weeks to get this done. Make a schedule. A few teams I've worked on for TV stuff, we've had just over 9 weeks to get all the effects done for a 20 minute show. We made a schedule and made assignments. Usually, at the end of week 7 and 8 we're all pretty stressed. We usually also pull all nighters by week 9.

If you go the power working method, don't use it a lot or you'll burn out. It's like using after burners. You can get a lot done, but used to much and YOU burn out. I've seen it happen a LOT! So, be careful.

Good luck!

Oh, and FunkE, if you're going to use a whip, at least back it up with a cattle prod. Whips can be ignored, but prods will deliver an unforgettable shock to a slacking worker! :D
  7. ChanceKell Jedi Knight

I'll have to agree with the (assuming) other Student here. "Power working" just seems to be cramming, which is not as much useful as it is necessary for working on deadlines. Cramming can get unhealthy, and, going along the lines of quality-over-quantity, it's much better to take your time tinkering with your work and having a chance to step back and see a bigger picture than to either be forced or force yourself into pumping out a picture.
  8. durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database

VIP
    star 5
    By the time I get my kids to bed, and finish cleaning everything up, I'm usually pretty beat at night. Which is a real shame because that's the only time I can work on projects.
    And power working myself until 3:00am is no good because I have to work the next day.

So, I tend to work whenever I can. A half hour here, an hour there... Sooner or later I bang it out. I usually can get myself into a pretty good auto-pilot mode before long. It's not an issue losing concentration...
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.