main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your movie STINKS and mine RULES!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by obhavekenobi78, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Yes, shelley because you defend him. You are being goated. If I wanted to get a fan going, I could start a thread entitled, "George Lucas is a flannel-wearing, no talent hack!". If were to go into that thread and try to defend George Lucas against me, a poster who obviously is just trying to push your buttons, then you already understand and realize what the outcome will be. You can't complain about it. You know you won't get them to stop, you know you can't change them, and you know that they are just being childish, right? So what do you expect to come from defending the film against someone of this nature?

If someone posts a vicious attack here, what do you expect they are going to do when you challenge their post? Play nice? Nope, more attacks, that's all. Don't play into it.

2. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    Good grief, you guys seem so terribly jealous of FOTR. I can't blame you, though. It was a stunning masterpiece, while TPM and AOTC were rather crummy. I'm glad I didn't take an oath to stick by the PT no matter what, unlike many of you. (Am I teasing and just trying to get under your skin? You decide.)

My advice... Maybe if you guys didn't keep going on and on about how much it bothers you to see FOTR hailed as being superior to the prequels, it would happen less. After all, you guys take digs at bashers, so it's only natural that they're gonna dig right back in ways that they know upset you. Put on a poker face instead of responding to FOTR praise like a vampire splashed with holy water.

3. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    I think you meant that it was stunning that people actually called it a masterpiece.

4. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    In the words of Gandalf, "I suppose you think that was terribly clever."

:p

5. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    It was no dwarf tossing joke, but I have my moments.

6. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Doh, they locked my "flannel" thread. Oh well, I guess it was meant to be. Shelley, did you see me? ;)

I hope they realize that I was joking around. I will probably be banned in a few. Oh well, nobody would miss me anyway (looking for pity, but won't get any). :(

7. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    (Am I teasing and just trying to get under your skin? You decide.)

OK, Ive decided.

I haven't seen FOTR hailed as better than the PT by anyone but Tolkien geeks who've got nothing better to do than come here to get under people's skin. I wouldn't even know what sites to go to to find a FOTR forum. Nor would I care.

you want my honest opinion?

FOTR was terribly underwhelming. Elijah Wood is exactly as his name suggests, wooden. Sir Ian McKellan was sadly mired by poorly written dialog which he read as best he could. Christopher Lee spent the entire time yelling like a mad scientist, nowhere near as subtle or unnerving as his AOTC performance, and I found that overall FOTR had something of an identity crisis, not knowing whether it wanted to be a true fantasy story as the first half hour would have suggested, or just another hack and slash medieval battle and run movie formula, ala Braveheart, Gladiator, etc. ad nauseum.

FOTR went on an awful long journey only to leave you hanging at the end, but not really caring about what happened along the way. And by the looks of the way the story goes in FOTR, we can assume the One ring will not be destroyed in the next chapter, and it will be just another long hack and slash journey to not resolve itself. I've never read the books, nor do I care to, so if I'm wrong don't correct me as this is the feeling FOTR left me with. I feel like I'm going to have to endure another poorly photographed battle movie to NOT get the answer that the first 3 hours didn't give me.

But if that is what you consider a masterpiece, well, OK. You can keep it all to yourself.

8. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    "Christopher Lee spent the entire time yelling like a mad scientist..."

Did you watch the movie? I can only recall a few instances where his voice is raised. One being when he is casting a spell, another when he is speaking to the Orcs. Other than that do you have any examples?

9. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    I did watch it. Twice actually, as I feel asleep the first time somewhere around when they get into the boats and see the giant statues.

I'm not going to get into a line by line battle of Christopher Lee's dialog delivery. This is the feeling it left me with after watching it twice. I wanted to like it more than I did, but it didn't meet my expectations as they were probably tainted by so many people claiming FOTR's excellence. It was just OK, but not a masterpiece.

10. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you are also accountable to justify your posts. We can't just make things up and claim them as fact. Since you don't care to know, I will not post about CL's dialog.

11. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I'm starting to feel like the Scooby Gang around here. (Hey, There was some value in that over-praised one-note 70's cartoon)

Let's call this one the Mystery of the Star Wars Bashers.

Here I thought all this time I was talking to Star Wars fans on this Star Wars message board. But the masks were pulled off last December and revealed the truth. A whole army of Geeks from Another Dimension.

Quick, Scooby, get Fred and Daphne, and tell them we're in big trouble!

12. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    And we would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you nosey kids!

13. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    From the bottom of my heart, Only_2 (IQ? Years old? Inches?), your attempt to annoy me by attacking FOTR doesn't come close to bothering me in the way that PT bashing seems to upset you. This is probably because I'm absolutely confident in my appreciation for the film. Perhaps if you were more confident in your adoration of the prequels, you wouldn't become so steamed and depressed when others slam 'em by pointing out how much better Fellowship was. Perhaps if you were more confident in your adoration of the prequels, you wouldn't spend the bulk of your time here trying to frighten away the bashers like some half-assed scarecrow. I've become fond of your many posts that spew things like "I'm giving dem bashers a taste of their own medicine! That'll teach 'em!" Makes me chuckle every time.

<<<But if that is what you consider a masterpiece, well, OK. You can keep it all to yourself.>>>

Lucky for me I'm the one who decides which opinions of mine I will and won't express here. So, your advice to "keep it all to myself" will be ignored, much to your chagrin, it seems. Aw well, like I care anyhow.

14. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Say, did you read the original post. If you can't play nice, please find somewhere else to post, there are plenty of threads for you. We don't need cursing and we don't need personal attacks.

15. Lagniappe

Lagniappe Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    "I haven't seen FOTR hailed as better than the PT by anyone but Tolkien geeks who've got nothing better to do than come here to get under people's skin."

Really? Well personally I enjoyed LOTR overall better than the PT... and I am hardly a "Tolkien geek with nothing better to do than come here and get under people's skin."

I have been posting here for several years now, and I generally try very hard *not* to get under people's skin.

I loved aspects of TPM. I loved even more of AOTC... Kamino was fantastic. Obi-wan's scenes were generally very good. I liked the Dex diner scenes, etc. Unfortunately, (for me), there were things about both films that bothered me enough to lessen my overall enjoyment of the movies.

LOTR seemed more even to me...the acting, action, themes...etc. flowed well for me, and drew me in far easier than the PT.

So, yes, I think LOTR hit more of MY buttons than the PT.

But I understand others liked AOTC better. We have different tastes - and tastes do not always match set standards of good or bad.

However, I DO think there are such standards, as defined by experts in any field, otherwise how does one every judge the worth of anything?

16. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    You see, Lagniappe is able to put his thought together in a nice, clear, respectable manner. He didn't attack anyone or slam anything. Now, let's all try and follow his/her lead (too lazy to check) and play nice.

Edit: Yes, I realize I sound like a moron, but it can't be helped.

17. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    As an admitted SW geek and PT gusher...

I liked FOTR so much I bought the books (including the Hobbit). I've only had time to read the Hobbit, but hopefully soon I will start to dig into the LOTR stuff.

Slightly off topic here are my fav "Sword and Sorcery / Fantasy" type movies (In no particular order):

1) FOTR
    2) Willow - and guess who's story this one is???
    3) Excalibur

Seperate catagory - My fav "Hack and Slash" movies:

1) Gladiator
    2) Does Ben Hurr qualify as "Hack and Slash"???
    3) How about Spartigus (sp?) is this a "Hack and Slash" movie???
    4) I'll someday rent out Charton Heston's "The Warlord" and "El Sid" to see if they'll find a place on the list.

Cheers :

18. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Daniel,

Isn't Star Wars a "Sword and Scorcery" film as well. Sword=Lightsaber Scorcery=The Force

19. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    Obhave, why don't you shove it up your....

Seriously, don't be such a fem. Only_2 (inches) dished it out, so I imagine he can take it. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

20. obhavekenobi78

May 20, 2002
    Don't call me a "Fem" after using the word "chagrin" in a post silly boy, it renders you powerless.

21. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    SW = Sword and Sorcery, never thought of it that way. I was going to put in a Sci-Fantasy catagory, but I see your point...hmmm let me think about it.

22. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Prequel bashers are as amusing as that "hillarious" bit at the beginning of FOTR where Frodo says to Gandalf "You're late" and then they start laughing their heads off as if they've just heard the best joke in the history of Middle-Earth. Can someone please tell me what that was all about? [face_plain]

23. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Prequel bashers are as amusing as that "hillarious" bit at the beginning of FOTR where Frodo says to Gandalf "You're late" and then they start laughing their heads off as if they've just heard the best joke in the history of Middle-Earth. Can someone please tell me what that was all about?>>>

Golly, you're right, that IS complicated. After a few seconds of playfully busting each others balls, they let loose their happiness to see each other by laughing and embracing. Clearer now?

What's odd to me is that that attempt at humor doesn't sit right with you and is worth bashing, while the wacky, childish hijinks associated with 3P0's head on a Battle Droid and Jar Jar being farted on, falling down, getting his tongue grabbed and stepping in feces is worthy Grade-A comedy in your bizarro world. I swear to god, PT fans have the worst taste on Earth.

24. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I swear to god, Endboss, that I don't really care what you think, especially when you would assume I find Jar Jar being farted on amusing with no evidence for that in my posts.

So why am I wasting my time replying? Beats me ?[face_plain]

25. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    I think some people are missing the entire point of this thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.