main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your movie STINKS and mine RULES!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by obhavekenobi78, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    From Page 2 of this thread:

From Jabbadabbado:

"Jar Jar, I have yet to read "AOTC suxxx! Get over it!" from a basher."

That wasn't what I said at all. I said this:

From Me:

"I've seen many a basher basically tell folks that "X sucked!" not an opinion, not a belief, but a black and white fact. Even worse, I have seen "X sucked, and if you think otherwise, you're an idiot!"."

From Page 7 of this thread:

Endboss:

"Obhave, why don't you shove it up your....

Seriously, don't be such a fem. Only_2 (inches) dished it out, so I imagine he can take it. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit."

"From the bottom of my heart, Only_2 (IQ? Years old? Inches?), your attempt to annoy me by attacking FOTR doesn't come close to bothering me in the way that PT bashing seems to upset you. This is probably because I'm absolutely confident in my appreciation for the film. Perhaps if you were more confident in your adoration of the prequels, you wouldn't become so steamed and depressed when others slam 'em by pointing out how much better Fellowship was."

"I swear to god, PT fans have the worst taste on Earth.

This isn't even anything but just about straight-up flames. I am going to report this to a mod and let them do with it what they will, but it proves my original point perfectly. I really wish I was wrong about this.

2. endboss

endboss Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<So why am I wasting my time replying?>>>

Probably out of appreciation for me taking the time to explain the obvious reason for Gandalf and Frodo sharing a laugh, which is something you had trouble understanding, apparently. Not everyone would take the time to hold your hand and walk you through it like you're a 4-year-old. But I did. You're welcome.

3. Lagniappe

Lagniappe Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    "I think some people are missing the entire point of this thread... "

Amen.

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Okay endboss, I think you should go cool down for a little, as you are dangerously close to a ban.

5. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    *plays dumb* What, what's the problem? Who, me? Me no speak English.

6. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Don't act so surprised, endboss. You weren't here on any mercy mission ;)

7. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Aw, don't ban endboss. I think he's super just like Jar Jar. 8-}

So, I liked the prequels and FOTR. Where do I fit on the endboss taste scale?

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Whether you loved the film or hated it, argue your point responsibly. An offense on either side of the coin will be treated the same.

9. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I just watched FOTR today and noticed something funny. I think Peter Jackson must have called Lucas during shooting. lol

Pete: "Hey Geargie, I have this really cool Orc who leads an army. He dies sometime in the movie. How should I handle his character?"

George: "Well first build him up and make his intro really cool! Show him in great lighting and cool poses and then send him out against the heroes. Make sure his forces outnumber them! Then have one of the heroes defeat him easily one on one."

Pete: "Sounds good!"

10. lordmack

lordmack Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2002
    What's the purpose of this thread, I'am sorta getting lost here.

11. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    How come nobody's flamed or educated me on the marits of "Pulp Fiction". I guess I am not the only one who didn't think it was all that great. :p

12. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    Endbooss, I have to agree that Lord of the Rings was a cool movie indeed. I loved the books, and am pleased to see that the films have rendered them so faithfully. Of course there are major changes. Arwen's role is expanded at the expense of Frodo; Radagast has disappeared,; and the moral conundrum about the ring has been dismissed by the fact that it can't be effectively weided against Sauron. But a;ll in all it is a smashing movie.

However, I also like Attack of the Clones. In fact I think it has a few points over Lord of the Rings. For one, it is vey complex and can be viewed time and again with rewards of discovery for the viewer. Isaw LOTR seven times and grew tired of it; I have seen AOTC twelve times and still want to see it agin, to catch more subtleties. They are different movies, with different strengths.

Of course, one of the reasons I read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy so eagerly was the fact that Star Wars had been compared to it so many times. One helped inspire the other, and both have iconic status.

I think star Wars fans are defensive because critics have made up for their gentleness to the last fil m with a full bottle of gall for this one, even though most think it is superior.

As for those who prefer Phantom to Clones, I have met a few. Phantom has references to more presitigious films, and that is one reason for the preference. Also Clones was more unique. But for the record I thought AOTC was superior.

oh yeah. Pulp Fiction. the reason the hamburger conversation was so lauded is that we have something new in film here. Toe HITMEN are having a normal human conversation, talking about something trivial... Most movies don't even portray ordinary people as discssing something trivial. The movie breaks new ground not only in protraying criminals as ordinary humans, but in bothering to include mundane topics of discussion, thus humanizing the protagonists.

The watch monologue and the stuff about piercing do indeed focus on the prurient interest of the audience, as dioes the prurient violation scene involving the country folk. While that was a rather low appeal for the film, it also rode on its unconventional race relations and that clever use of multiple minifilms, out of chronological order to tell the story in an intriguing way.

Pulp Fiction has been imitated many times, and deserves to be seen as a watershed. buit it is only a movie, and if you don't like it you are entitled to your perspective.

13. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    cratylus,

oh yeah. Pulp Fiction. the reason the hamburger conversation was so lauded is that we have something new in film here. Toe HITMEN are having a normal human conversation, talking about something trivial... Most movies don't even portray ordinary people as discssing something trivial. The movie breaks new ground not only in protraying criminals as ordinary humans, but in bothering to include mundane topics of discussion, thus humanizing the protagonists.

That's amazing, BOY did I miss the boat on that scene, but I do see what you mean. Thanks :)

it is vey complex and can be viewed time and again with rewards of discovery for the viewer

I've seen the SW movies SO many times I've lost count (well TPM 5 and AOTC 3, rest I've lost count), they are the only set of movies I've tried "to catch more subtleties" because I find the entire saga so interesting.

Anyway nice post..

P.S. Err, I had to look up "prurient".

14. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    This thread has gone off topic a number of times, ironically. Let me try to sum up some of the discussion here.

The original question was why fans of AotC took critism of the film so personally.

Shelley, Foxbatkllr, and others have noted that part of the reasoning behind the defensiveness lies in the fact that many users have been coming into the boards to specifically trash AotC and, for that matter, all aspects of the Star Wars saga.

So, I guess along with the original question, another line of discussion has evolved. Why do we as Star Wars fans feel we have to defend the movies against critism, even if we know that the user we are debating has no intention of discussing the film as they are here to launch only personal attacks in order to goat fans into "bash/gush" flame wars, which in turn pull us all away from the fun and interesting discussion?

15. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    P.S. Thanks to the Moderators for trying to wrangle some of the more "interesting" posters. Although, I do find it humourous that someone called me a "Fem" and told to me to "shove it up my..."! I have always found that when people are lacking a valid repsonse in an argument, they never will concede and, in fact, almost always resort to name calling and verbal attacks in confortable or anonymous situations. I only hope that we can keep discussion open here without resorting to such tactics. If I ever come to the point where an argument of mine no longer holds water, I hope I can step back and change my point of view. Man, I am such a fem! ;)

Edit: I am going to make my icon more "fem".

16. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    While Pulp Fiction has a very cool style, both in its music and the fact that it is not viewed chronologically, I do feel that a lot of its appeal is due to the shocking nature of both the language and how the characters treat each other. A lot of the movie is very good indeed, but some of it was borderline offensive for the sake of cheap laughs. The use of certain racial slurs...

Dammit, I'm off topic again :confused:

Star Wars rules. LOTR very good. Spiderman crap.

17. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Although, I do find it humourous that someone called me a "Fem" and told to me to "shove it up my..."!>>>

Jokingly...in response to you having the nerve to tell me what to do and how to post. You were running around like a school teacher trying to make me 'play nice,' so I razzed you for it. Next time, mind your business. If you're not going to do that, at least be consistent with your whining about bad attitudes. Only_2 decided to get nasty and rude when calling me out, so I said "Cool, I can do that too." So if you're gonna holler at rude posters, holler at all of 'em, not just those who aren't on your side of the argument. But you really should just take my first piece of advice and butt out. Stop trying to convert. Don't be such a sensitive hippie. Don't be such a fem.

18. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Perhaps if you were more confident in your adoration of the prequels, you wouldn't become so steamed and depressed when others slam 'em by pointing out how much better Fellowship was.

It's not about confidence son. I liked AOTC a lot. I challenge you to find one post on ANY of these boards where I gush about AOTC for one second. I know it's not perfect. butI Liked it. That's my opinion, and I didn't need to bring up any other movie to compare it to to justify my opinion as you have with LOTR. It's a Star Wars board. I came here to talk about Star Wars.

I'm not steamed, and I'm not trying to get you all angry, which it appears you always are by the language and temper of most of your posts. You opened the door with your nonsensical comparison of LOTR to AOTC. I posted my opinion of LOTR, without telling you that you are wrong or that I am better for liking AOTC. Your response ot my thoughts on LOTR shows exatly where you are coming from. As I said if you like it, good for you, it's all yours. Can you handle the fact that you didn't change my opinion of LOTR by lashing out at me?

19. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<It's not about confidence son.>>>

Heh 'son.' You talk like a WWF wannabe. Drop the attempt to seem tough.

<<<I liked AOTC a lot. I challenge you to find one post on ANY of these boards where I gush about AOTC for one second. I know it's not perfect. but I Liked it. That's my opinion, and I didn't need to bring up any other movie to compare it to to justify my opinion as you have with LOTR.>>>

I brought up FOTR in response to you and a few others going on and on, page after page about how much all the FOTR praise vs. AOTC criticism gets under your skin. Your obsession with the respect FOTR gets around here reeks of jealousy, so I commented on it, and had a little fun while doing it.

<<<I'm not steamed, and I'm not trying to get you all angry, which it appears you always are by the language and temper of most of your posts.>>>

You mustn't 'get' my sense of humor if you think I'm especially angry. Either that or my words register as 'mean' and 'raging' in your head only because, well, you find me intimidating. ;) I'll be more gentle with you from now on.

<<<I posted my opinion of LOTR, without telling you that you are wrong or that I am better for liking AOTC. Your response ot my thoughts on LOTR shows exatly where you are coming from.>>>

I don't recall asking for your review of FOTR. You offered it for no good reason so I only bothered to skim it. Did you want a detailed rebuttal? I'm not all that interested in arguing with you about Christopher Lee's delivery as Saruman or the other problems you had with the movie. I'm not interested in trying to sway you. I couldn't care less that you don't enjoy what I enjoy. I only stuck my head in this thread to express that you seem quite jealous of the film. Agree, disagree, makes no difference to me.

20. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    This thread has descended into an endless round of pointless bickering. No one even seems to be talking about AOTC or FOTR anymore!

To that end, I'd like to point out that FOTR has its flaws--mostly in the pacing and special effects departments. The film moves extremely slow--as does the book, of course--but is punctuated by moments and scenes of intense dynamism.

The same could be said of AOTC. Aside from the first (very brief) explosion, there is no action whatever in the first ten minutes, which is unique for STAR WARS; and, until the climactic battle sequence, there are only two action scenes, both of them involving Obi-Wan and the Fetts. Some people were bored by this sporadic placement of action.

In short, both films have problems. But I love 'em both!

21. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Why do the Mods let some of these people get away with this?

22. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<Why do the Mods let some of these people get away with this?>>>

Get away with what exactly? Harmless, colorful disagreements between adults? Perhaps you should begin the boycott you've been threatening.

23. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    endboss kinda reminds me of Simon from American Idol. 8-}

So endboss, my question went unanswered earlier. I've enjoyed the prequels so far and thought FOTR was great too. Where do I rank on the endboss taste scale? :D

24. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    You must have a guilty conscious Endboss because I didn't even mention your name.

25. endboss

Sep 30, 1998
    <<<endboss kinda reminds me of Simon from American Idol.>>>

I've never watched. What's he like? A rugged ladies man with a high IQ?

<<<So endboss, my question went unanswered earlier. I've enjoyed the prequels so far and thought FOTR was great too. Where do I rank on the endboss taste scale?>>>

You're an enigma. How you can settle for what's offered in TPM and AOTC after discovering how great a fantasy film can be through FOTR stumps me. I'm guessing you enjoy FOTR simply because it's a fantastic film, while your appreciation for TPM and AOTC comes from your pre-existing love of Star Wars, which was earned by the OT. In other words, you wear rose-colored glasses when judging these new Star Wars films.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.