main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your Musical Power Hour?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Penguinator, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    An hour of music - that's sixty minutes - of your choosing. What is it, and more importantly, why is it there?

Post lists of your favourite hour of music, be it an album, a playlist, or even a single song! As long as it's close to sixty minutes in length (five minutes above or below sixty is your limit), it's fair game.

And remember, reasons why you chose the songs are welcome, and encouraged.

What hour of music rocks your world?

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Gonna Fly Now - Rocky Balboa soundtrack
    Going The Distance - Rocky Balboa soundtrack
    It's a Fight - Three 6 Mafia - Rocky Balboa soundtrack
    Xxplosive - Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001
    Korrupt World - Twista - Adrenaline Rush
    Regulate - Warren G & Nate Dogg
    Hit 'Em Up - Tupac
    Open Wounds - R-Mean
    The Way I Am - Eminem
    One Mic - Nas
    Bring the Noise - Public Enemy & Anthrax
    **** You I'm Drunk - Dropkick Murphys
    I'm Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys
    Gone - Kanye West & Cam'ron

That's about 60 minutes, don't feel like checking exactly...

I start out with the Rocky songs because Rocky songs are better then non-Rocky songs... I used It's a Fight to transition from Rocky to rap, at which point I just go balls to the walls with my favorite rap songs with peaking at One Mic then going to non rap songs with Bring the Noise, **** you I'm drunk and I'm shipping up to boston. I ended with Gone just cuz it pwns you all.

word.

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Shine on You Crazy Diamond (Part 1) - Pink Floyd

I love this - a great opening to a great album. 13 minutes long, and it's got it all - great solos, a singable chorus...I think it's perfect.

Death Letter - The White Stripes

Garage rock that isn't garage rock. I love Jack White's slide work. Simple, but really fun to listen to, at least for me. It's also a good rocker after a long Pink Floyd track.

Sleeping Giant - Mastodon

The riff that starts at 1:09 keeps this track interesting. It's good to begin with, but that riff just makes it excellent. Sounds gigantic, too! My favourite track off of Blood Mountain.

Cabron - Red Hot Chili Peppers

I don't think RHCP has a real acoustic track, this being the exception. I'd like to see them try more acoustic stuff. And By The Way was a great album - I hope their follow-up to Stadium Arcadium is more like it.

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

Nothing they've done since this can compare to the perfection the Dire Straits achieved on this. Mark Knopfler cements his position as a guitar hero with the bare-knuckle fretwork. I love it, and love trying to play it.

The Trooper - Iron Maiden

The version I have is off Death on the Road, a live version. Three guitarists going at once - can't be beat!

Lazy - Deep Purple

The live version, off Nobody's Perfect. This almost is. Fun to listen to - very fun. The track is far from dull, and it gets me going. I get a lot done while listening to this.

Search and Destroy - Iggy Pop

Probably the only punk song I like, if it can be called punk. So much energy! I'd like to think it spills over onto me, but I'm listening to it now, and couldn't be more tired.

Love is Only A Feeling - The Darkness

Well, they lost the singer, so I doubt I'll get a song like this from them anytime soon. This is the best track off their debut, in my opinion. Love is more than a feeling when I listen to this.

Candy Store Rock - Led Zeppelin

Zeppelin isn't epic hard rock - they're epic heavy blues. Candy Store Rock gets my vote for best Zeppelin track. At least, until I get nostalgic for I, II, or III (which is the best album ever, in my mind).

Firewall - Steve Vai

This just doesn't sound like Vai at all, which is one of the reasons why I love it. That and the beatboxing and big band stuff in it.

Tom Sawyer - Rush

Infinitely singable. Though, not necessarily well.

4. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Heh, it flows pretty well. :p

5. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Cinnamon Girl - Niel Young (album version)

The original grunge song, I guess. It's short but fantastic, a song just as fun to listen to as it is to play. Great to listen to at work. Plus it gets me thinking about my girlfriend a little.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica (album version)

I'm tempted to put either this, Wherever I May Roam, To Live is to Die or Orion in this entry, but I'm going with this. This shows what Metallica is, up front and center. And that opening bass from the late Clive Barton just kills. "It's the last time you WILL!"

By-Tor and the Snow Dog - Rush (All the World's a stage)

The actual album version of this is good, but by late '76 they'd improved the performance and this, collectively Rush's best-ever album IMO, shows it off. Likeside Park in this is memorable as well.

Careful with that Axe, Eugene - Pink Floyd (live version 5-18-73)

If you watch THIS you will know why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpGdG27K9o

Even the album version pales, showing how Floyd had matured as a band in such a short time.

Down the Dolche Vita - Peter Gabriel

The best song nobody knows about. What can you say about a funk/rock/classical hybrid? That it's BRILLIANT. Find this. Listen to it. Now.

The Mummer's Dance -- Lorena McKinnett

Haunting melody by perhaps the best Celtic-oriented artist since Mike Oldfield. I made this the theme to my published short-story, writing it as I listened to it, and I believe it helped.

If you could only see - Tonic

What can I say? Great song. Too bad the band really hasn't been able to duplicate that success. The lyrics show the truth that simplicity and emotion are all you need, and without it you've got nothing.

She sells sanctuary - The Cult

I dare you to dislike this song. I dare you. Still though, it's sort of criminal how simple the riff is and that I actually think they only play, like, one actual chord and the rest is single notes combined with an open string run through a flanger.

Devil's Eyes - Buck 65

First song in a long, long while where I heard it and demanded people tell me the name and the artist. Haunting melody and the overlapped male/female vocals give a sense of a sad downward spiral.

Heart of Glass -- Blondie

Look man, sometimes, you just gotta disco. If not, you're probably a serial killer or something.

6. hero_of_canton

hero_of_canton Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2007
    anything from the catalog of Nickel Creek...rinse repeat

7. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Is it Just Me? - The Darkness

Dammit - blink-182

This could be my Moment - The Verve

It's Like That - Run DMC

On Your Own - Blur

Last Kiss - Pearl Jam

Mr. Brightside - The Killers

Don't Stop Me Now - Queen

Kill - Jimmy Eat World

Basket Case (Live Version) - Green Day

Killing in the Name - Rage against the Machine

No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age

Joker & The Thief - Wolfmother

Times Like These - Foo Fighters

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I have to pick one hour? That's tough, because it largely depends on what mood I'm in. I'll pull up a couple of my play lists later on and see what I come up with.

9. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Well, this is a toughie, it really does depend on the mood, day....All that. But here is one of my fave playlists right now:

Closer by NIN - I never get sick of listening to this song, or really any of them, but this remains my favorite. I love his voice and the industrial beat, and the layering of the sounds at the end of the song is incredible.

Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode - This is one of my all time faves, I even love the version by Marilyn Manson. Great beat.

SexyBack by Justin Timberlake - I gotta admit I love JT. He just gets the sexy on with this song, and when I hear it I can't help but dance.

Can I Sit Next To You Girl by AC/DC - I love all their stuff, but this one in particular, along with the whole High Voltage album, really stands as some of their best stuff, for me anyway.

Save A Horse(Ride A Cowboy) - Fun!! I have a family full of dancing fools, and this gets them all out there on the floor everytime, myself included of course.

Sweet Dreams(Are Made Of This) or Here Comes The Rain Again by The Eurythmics - I just adore Annie Lennox's voice and I think the songs are super sexy.

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley - The song breaks my heart, what can I say?

Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue - Reminds me of when I had way to big hair and posters of Vince all over my wall!

Somebody Told Me by The Killers - They are one of my newer favorites, and I like all of their stuff, but this one is my fave.

Black No. 1 by Type O Negative - These guys *sigh* I love. This remains my favorite of theirs, though I would listen to anything else of theirs too, especially Wolf Moon.

Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit - This has got to be the best angry song ever! Pair it up with The Imperial March and there you go!

Sweet Child O Mine bu Guns N Roses - Axl is an idiot, but this song still captures my heart everytime I hear it. I despise the Sheryl Crow remake.

Round that all out with anything by Kiss (gotta have Kiss!), some LL Cool J, maybe a little Queen or Billy Joel and there is a great hour for me.

10. malcolm-darth-am-i

malcolm-darth-am-i Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2005
    You Know My Name - Chris Cornell
    All I Want Is You(Live At Slane Castle) - U2
    The Saints Are Coming(Live From New Orleans) - U2 & Green Day
    Room Service - Bryan Adams
    Shadow On The Sun - Audioslave
    Beautiful Day - U2
    Gone(Live From Mexico City) - U2
    Be Yourself - Audioslave
    Yellow(Live From Sydney) - Coldplay
    Shiver - Coldplay
    18 'Till I Die - Bryan Adams
    Sunday Bloody Sunday(Live At Slane Castle) - U2
    Wake Up Dead Man(Live At Slane Castle) - U2
    Where The Streets Have No Name(Live At Slane Castle) - U2

11. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    They used to have a feature in Guitar World Magazine where they would ask this question to famous guitarists. Nice idea, Pen. I'll get a list up a little later.

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    It's tough to pick one hour of tunes, but keep in mind you can change it later on. The minute I get a new album, I'll probably have to redo my list. Actually, I have to now, because I left out Flight of the Conchords! Gah!

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Whoa whoa whoa, since when do you listen to that type of music? :p

14. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Just an hour is WAY too short, but off the top of my head...

Spirit Of Radio, Rush - a great song to kick off any compilation, and to start your day with

Let's Go Crazy, Prince - for a guy that's not known as a hard rock artist, he can write and perform it better than most "hard rock artists"

Detroit Rock City, KISS - a great driving rock song... one of KISS's best moments

Fall Behind Me, The Donnas - 'cause the Donnas rock

When The Levee Breaks, Led Zeppelin - one of Zep's heaviest, with my personal fave Bonham drum fill near the end

Hole In The Sky, Black Sabbath - the meanest swing rhythm ever written, showing that Sabbath never forgot their blues-band roots

Hangar 18, Megadeth - probably the best guitar solo tradeoff ever

Ace Of Spades, Motorhead - in spite of being the most cliched Motorhead tune, it still kicks ass

The Frayed Ends Of Sanity, Metallica - my all-time fave Metallica song, the epitome of their songwriting and playing abilities from the album where they peaked

Everybody Knows That You Are Insane, Queens Of The Stone Age - it's hard to pick just one QOTSA song, but it's a good followup to the previous song

Rats In The Cellar, Aerosmith - Aerosmith at their mid-70s meanest, before the drugs got out of control

Under My Wheels, Alice Cooper - Alice isn't a favourite of mine, but this is my favourite Alice Cooper song

Rocket Queen, Guns N' Roses - Possibly the best album-ending track in history, featuring GN'R at their collective best

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I use this playlist for when I'm biking:

Shut Your Eyes by Snow Patrol
    The Saints Are Coming by U2 & Green Day
    God by Seven Nations
    Typical by Mute Math
    Late Nights And Street Fights by Dirty Vegas
    You Only Get What You Give by the New Radicals
    How We Operate by Gomez
    I'm Shipping Up To Boston by Dropkick Murphys
    End Over End by The Foo Fighters
    CobraStyle by the Teddybears
    We Used to be Friends by the Dandy Worhols

All pretty fast, something that I can make good time with.

16. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    Ace of Spades! I SO should have included that!

17. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Agreed! That one is a staple on my party playlist, the song kicks some serious butt!

Oh and Rocket Queen....My other favorite GnR song....

18. GodinKijken1

GodinKijken1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2007
    *Opens itunes* Okay... here I go... I blame this on lack of ability to sleep... and amusement.

1. Rammstein- Amerika (3:46).
    Reason: I like what it stands for and means.

2. Bay City Rollers- Saturday Night (2:55).
    Reason: It's easier to write my parodies after listening to it about 100,000 times. It also helps, I find it the most hysterical 'brillantly bad' song ever.

3. Three Days Grace- The Animal I Have Become (3:51).
    Reason: Something hard to get rid of the pop music feel of the previous track.. and something for motivation.

4. David Bowie- Space Oddity (3:34).
    Reason: There can be no hour of music without something Bowie.

5. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky- Nutcracker Suite Op. 71a: Trepak (1:07).
    Reason: A fun piece

6. Cinderella- Night Songs (4:03).
    Reason: There is no hour without at least one hair band and considering it's my favourite hair band... there is just no hour of music without at least one Cinderella song...

7. Marilyn Manson- The Fight Song (2:57).
    Reason: Something hard after a few mild pieces.

8. Stahlhammer- Herz Aus Stahl (3:42).
    Reason: Austrian German Band... slight bias which causes it to be overplayed frequently on my itunes.

9. Queen + David Bowie- Under Pressure (4:03).
    Reason: Listening to this particular song is essential... it's Queen AND David Bowie.

10. Van Halen- Jump (4:03- what is it with songs that are 4 minutes and 3 seconds?!).
    Reason: Gotta play Van Halen at least once, and Jump just happens to be the best they have.

11. Bill Haley and The Comets- Shake, Rattle, and Roll (2:54).
    Reason: I just like Bill Haley and The Comets... that's it. No other thought goes into that.

12. KISS- God gave Rock'n'Roll to You II (5:19).
    Reason: Rock ballad needed that is no way about breaking up or love and it's always better if it comes from Kiss.

13. Godsmack- Someone in London (2:03).
    Reason: Need a non-classical/opera music piece without lyrics.

14. Weird Al- The Saga Begins (5:28).
    Reason: Parody needed and this is the ultimate parody song.

15. The Presidents of the United States- Peaches (2:51).
    Reason: Some song about something random is always needed.

16. Bloodhound Gang- I Hope You Die (3:41).
    Reason: At least one song that I know won't listen to when I have visitors should always be played when I'm alone.

17. Blue Swede- Hooked on a Feeling (2:54).
    Reason: Something random, pop like but not actually pop, and 70's is required.

and finally

18. The Rocky Horror Picture Show Cast- Time Warp (4:29).
    Reason: Need to end it with something musically insane and that's the definition of musically insane.

Total time: 62.39 aka 1 hour, 2 minutes, and 39 seconds

19. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    **** You I'm Drunk - Dropkick Murphys
    I'm Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys[/quote]Whoa whoa whoa, since when do you listen to that type of music? :p[/quote]

since high school.

word.

20. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    I am such an Oddball.

My powerhour is usually Corelli, Vivaldi and Handel with a sprinkling of Beethove, Mozart and Bach.

;)

21. GodinKijken1

Feb 11, 2007
    Nah, I'm a Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, Johann Sebastian + Johann Christian Bach fan myself.

They're good for musical listening.

The Handel and Corelli, I have to question though.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I can't believe I forgot Bowie!

23. GodinKijken1

Feb 11, 2007
    It happens but Tom Swayer by Rush, the useage of Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, and RHCP more than makes up for it.

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Good to know.

I think I'm ready to redo my list.

Vultures - John Mayer Trio

Their lone album, Try!, is just overlooked. I bought it, and I go out of my way to tell people that songs like Gravity and Vultures were on Try! before they were on Continuum. 11/10.

Roadhouse Blues - The Doors

I have a bunch of Doors stuff on my computer, but I don't listen to it all that often. Too much Jim Morrison is unhealthy. This is just the right amount, and I listen to it fairly often compared with other Doors songs.

Taxman - The Beatles

The guitar seems to just throw out random notes every so often, but it's fun to listen to. Better than some Lennon and McCartney stuff, at any rate. I like Harrison's stuff, and this is no exception.

Hush - Deep Purple

Another track off Nobody's Perfect. Not as good as the older version (from Mk.1, I think), but still really good.

Ball and Biscuit - The White Stripes

Why wasn't this a single? Beats Seven Nation Army by a mile or ten.

Finding the Bomb - The Dust Brothers

Not a big techno fan, but I loved Fight Club, and this off the soundtrack. Surprisingly good, to me, at least.

Season of the Witch - Donovan

I like to sing along to this. Guilty!

Store Bought Bones - The Raconteurs

Better than Steady, As She Goes. That was pretty much The White Stripes with bass and another guitar. This is new, unique, and shows off what they could do.

Ohne Dich - Rammstein

Epic.

L'Arena - Ennio Morricone

I'm a big fan of spaghetti westerns. This song just brings up feelings of Clint Eastwood kicking butt.

Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

Sweet slide work!

Glasgow Kiss - John Petrucci

Technical playing can have feeling, you know. This proves it. Petrucci is known for his technical stuff with Dream Theatre, and this is off his solo album. Really good.

Crossroads [Live] - Cream

The original blues rock.

Total time - 1 hour. According to iTunes.

25. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    1: Also Sparch Zarathustra (Introduction) - Richard Strauss - 1:49
    Nothing like starting an hour of power with this pumping fanfare!
    2: Thunder Child - Jeff Waynes - 6:11
    War of the Worlds at its finest!
    3: Love Gun (Symphony version) - KISS - 4:25
    How can you listen to this song and NOT be going out of your mind with exitement?!
    4: Finish the Fight (Halo 3 trailer music) - Marty' O'Donnel - 2:25
    This gets you pumped for anything!
    5: Lose Yourself - Eminem - 5:25
    Not the best Eminem song, but awesome power music.
    6: Comfortably Numb (PULSE version) - Pink Floyd - 9:34
    This is off the scales in terms of energy!
    7: Satisfaction - Benni Bennasi - 2:24
    MMmmmm... Good dance music
    8: He's a Pirate - Klaus Bedalt - 1:34
    REAL Pirate Music.
    9: Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye - John Williams - 15:01
    I dare you to not cry.
    10: A New Hope and End Credits - John Williams - 13:05
    The saga has come full circle... And saves the best till last.

Total: 61:28

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.